✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Billy Batson said:
i don't think anything of it when i see people wearing shirts with odd little phrases on them. the point of them are to stand out to do a double take or to make people laugh.

you shouldn't judge based on someone's attire. it becomes a game to wear things that out does the next person. a game of shock, if you will.

and so what if people like to dress trendy. it's human nature to want to conform though it is an american construct that we should each be individuals and dress alike. where the two thoughts collide and decided to become friends, i'm not sure, but it's mostly american.

in the end, people will dress the way they feel most comfortable. (a&f have very comfortable clothing) and besides, it's only clothing.

It's interesting you can't tolerate wordplay without calling someone ignorant but think it doesn't matter what message is on a t shirt :scratch: If using the word 'girl cott" sent a message to you about those girls why wouldn't them wearing a crass shirt send a message?

I don't "judge" much on attire, but messages imprinted on a shirt do what they are intended to do.. they send a message. My high school aged kids (and younger of course) wouldn't be allowed to wear these types of shirts because they invite conversations I think I'd rather they not be involved in and comments I'd rather they aren't the target of... especially with men who think it's cute to tease teenage girls at the bus stop.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Billy Batson said:
i'm not belittling their cause -- just their ignorance of the actions such as "girlcott" which is dumb. it shows an indiffrence and/or ignorance to the root of the word.

Since you take issue with misused words could you correct your spelling?:p

Upvote 0

3girls2dogs

Catholic
Aug 15, 2005
Arizona
✟25,188.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
BeautyForAshes said:
That's almost as bad as the shirt a girl was wearing at my nephew's b-ball game this week. It read ...."MILF in training" :sigh:

It is so funny you would mention that. I am so out of touch, I saw a girl wearing that shirt at a football game just the other day and I had to ask my teenage daughter what it meant. :o I was sad when she told me :(

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Billy Batson said:
i'm not belittling their cause -- just their ignorance of the actions such as "girlcott" which is dumb. it shows an indiffrence and/or ignorance to the root of the word.

So we must have a thorough etymological analysis of every word we use in a cause in order for that cause to be just and respectable? By the time we finished that, we would all be dead.

The term "girlcott" is cool for several reasons, and they should be credited for at least trying to break out of the patriachal language structure. It was said the girls were dumb, not just the word.

Upvote 0

Billy Batson

Nov 15, 2004
jesusland :'(
✟1,009.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Neverstop said:
So we must have a thorough etymological analysis of every word we use in a cause in order for that cause to be just and respectable? By the time we finished that, we would all be dead.

The term "girlcott" is cool for several reasons, and they should be credited for at least trying to break out of the patriachal language structure. It was said the girls were dumb, not just the word.

boycott isn't one of those words as the concept follows the name, not the other way around.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Billy Batson said:
boycott isn't one of those words as the concept follows the name, not the other way around.

:sleep: It doesn't matter... the NAME lends itself to word play quite nicely in this situation.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Billy Batson said:

The concept of patriarchal language does not care about the details. In any case, the most important parts of the post have not been addressed, yet.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
3girls2dogs said:
It is so funny you would mention that. I am so out of touch, I saw a girl wearing that shirt at a football game just the other day and I had to ask my teenage daughter what it meant. :o I was sad when she told me :(

I saw a pic of ... Britney Spears wearing an MILF in training shirt last year and my first thought was... Why would she be wearing a Moro Islamic Liberation Front shirt? My son explained (gently) what it meant... I'm thinking geesh how many nasty little acronyms can kids come up with UGH!

Upvote 0

3girls2dogs

Catholic
Aug 15, 2005
Arizona
✟25,188.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Neverstop said:
The concept of patriarchal language does not care about the details. In any case, the most important parts of the post have not been addressed, yet.

Ok, I will address them then. I think it is good to stand up for what you believe it. Even if I disagree with someone, the fact that they will stand against the mainstream for something they feel strongly about earns my respect at the very least. I don't happen to disagree with them here, I think they are doing a good thing.

Do I think it will make a difference, not really. Sadly, not many will take it seriously. They will say "it is just clothes"...that is, until someone gets raped or harassed, and then they can say "did you see what she was wearing??? she brought it on herself." It still won't change anything though.

How am I making a difference in these situations with my own teenage daughter??? Since, at the moment, all her clothes and spending money comes from me, she won't be wearing a shirt like that. When she gets a job in a few months when she turns 16, she will not be using her money to buy a shirt like that if I can help it, and if she does...she will not wear it out of the house. As I work at her high school, she will not have the opportunity to change there either....mwahahaha *insert evil laugh here*. For us, however, it is pretty much a moot point. She would rather die than step foot in A&F anyway. She shops at PacSun pretty much exclusively, with the exception of a few sweatshirts she has stolen from my husband.

Upvote 0

Billy Batson

Nov 15, 2004
✟1,009.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
they are only clothing and they are strictly "tongue in cheek." boycotting clothing is stupid when it's some misguided concept of social activism. both sexes have their shirts with double entandres. these clothing just side steps the issue entirely and gets to the point. no body ever looks at rape victims and says "she had it coming -- look at her clothing!" except the defense lawyers and friends of the perp. the people who think it are the first to pass judgement on a person -- the people grant wood would have satirized in his paintings. it's not social irresponsibilty that lead to the girls to boycott the company, it's lack of focus on what's important. they don't understand the underlying reasons for the clothing lines -- it's what people want to buy and so the companies supply what the consumer deems hip and cool. they should be attacking their own generation and the gate keepers of pop culture and style. it's their peers who buy the lines. it's probably themselves who have perpetuated the want of name brand clothing. being socially aware is more than some holiday boycott of a company. it's being aware that the actions of them and their peers keep a&f in business and pretty much every business that caters to that market.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
wanderingone said:
I saw a pic of ... Britney Spears wearing an MILF in training shirt last year and my first thought was... Why would she be wearing a Moro Islamic Liberation Front shirt? My son explained (gently) what it meant... I'm thinking geesh how many nasty little acronyms can kids come up with UGH!

Kids can say the darnest things these days.
In a world like this, anything as well as everything goes.
Good or bad.

Upvote 0

Billy Batson

Nov 15, 2004
✟1,009.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
i see nothing wrong with wanting to be a milf or even a milf. so many women (and men) lose their vibrancy as the years wax and wane. if my girlfriend desires to be a milf, i'm all for it. (cos some of us do care about appearances along with all that other stuff about feelings and humor)

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Billy Batson said:
i see nothing wrong with wanting to be a milf or even a milf. so many women (and men) lose their vibrancy as the years wax and wane. if my girlfriend desires to be a milf, i'm all for it. (cos some of us do care about appearances along with all that other stuff about feelings and humor)

Kids have been using milf since I was in school and I'm sure before then too. I would be honored to be called a milf. ;)

Upvote 0

3girls2dogs

Catholic
Aug 15, 2005
Arizona
✟25,188.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Billy Batson said:

Well, what I would see wrong with it, is that, as a Christian wife, I am not concerned as to what men other than my husband are thinking of me. I am only concerned about being attractive to him. That is enough for me.

It has nothing at all to do with caring about one's appearance and everything to do with expressing that you want other men to view you as a sexual object. As a mother of 3 daughters, I don't want them to learn that kind of lesson from me. Being viewed as attractive is not the same thing as being viewed as a sexual object. The first thing I think of when I see a girl wearing a shirt like that is "she certainly doesn't hold herself to high esteem" not "wow, she sure is pretty".

And I can tell you with absolute certainty that if I walked out of the house with a shirt like that on, my husband would be about the furthest thing from proud or happy that there could possibly be.

Reactions: wanderingone
Upvote 0

Billy Batson

Nov 15, 2004
✟1,009.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
comana said:
Kids have been using milf since I was in school and I'm sure before then too. I would be honored to be called a milf. ;)

my friends and i joke whenever one of our parents come up (or down or across the states) to visit. the moms are always called a milf regardless to flatter and to score brownie points. on two separate occasions, they cleaned our kitchens top to bottom after cooking us meals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Billy Batson said:

Oh geesh... it's not about staying vibrant (which has little to do with appearances) it's about how you view someone.. really I don't care to contemplate my son's grubby little friends referring to me as a mere object they'd like to molest.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Billy Batson said:
my friends and i joke whenever one of our parents come up (or down or across the states) to visit. the moms are always called a milf regardless to flatter and to score brownie points. on two separate occasions, they cleaned our kitchens top to bottom after cooking us meals.

I can't imagine a woman being so flattered by such idiocy that they'd want to clean your kitchens or cook for you...

Reactions: k
Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
comana said:

Somehow we missed that acronym in my little corner of the world.. I'm sure I don't want any of my kids friends referring to me in such terms.

Upvote 0