Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, it is such a complicated book. If every man was left to his own to read it, everyone would form a different understanding of who God is. How can this be? Why is "the word of God" so complex, so difficult to understand? Why does God care to reveal himself in a book? Many people in the world can't even read...

Do you read Scripture regularly? And if you do read Scripture regularly, what are your reasons for reading?

There is a difference between reading Scripture just to formulate theological arguments and reading Scripture on a devotional level. The former is time spent trying to make the Bible significant for others, while the latter is time spent making the Bible significant to oneself.

I find it so very, very hard to accept that those people who haven't heard of Christ are damned to Hell...

That would be an inclusivist view. A number of Christians such as Clark Pinnock hold to it.

I also have a hard time accepting that man "deserves" Hell, simply by being born.

Arminian theology holds that its the individual's sins that separate them from God and condemn them, rather than condemnation through original sin. So its not as if you are presenting an option outside historic Christianity.

If the Bible is God's infallible word, why do we all disagree on what it means?

It really has more to do with the diversity of humanity. Everyone has a set of presuppositions that color their understanding of Scripture. Everyone has a cultural background that conditions interpretation. Individuals also have different preunderstandings of passages. However, despite all the differences, there is still broad agreement on a number of issues.

And why do we not want to accept some of the things it says - namely things that we don't like?

Pride, sin, blindness. Its also the same issues that prevent people from growing spiritually.

When I step outside the Bible, and do not take it as authoritative to begin with, I see many things that I would not consider "moral". I feel almost blasphemous saying this, but I would be lying to myself if I said otherwise. When I ask: "Should people go to Hell just because they don't believe in the Bible?" I am almost repulsed that I even consider the answer to be yes.

Think how many religious books there are out there, how many prophets and "gods" there are... If I was born Muslim, I'd be a Muslim... If I was born in India, I'd be a Hindu, etc. We are all products of our environment in terms of religion.

*sigh* I don't know. It just doesn't seem right to me, to venerate a book... something written by man, that can't be fully understood or agreed upon by even most brilliant men in history. And what does that mean for the common man? Then there are things which just seem completely irrelevant to life... things like the doctrine of the Trinity; the "divine attribute of God"; the book of revelation. How does this have anything to do with God? How will these things better our lives in any way, or make us better people? Why are we to read and believe another's understanding of God? If there is a God, won't he reveal himself to us each individually?

You are struggling with honest, tough issues. I don't think it would help if each question or issue were answered in isolation. Have you considered spending time with God in conversational prayer about these issues? Spend time reading Scripture to meet Jesus? You might get some of the answers you are seeking...

LDG

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
Hey all. :cool:

I don't know if it's my current mood, or if it's a lot of things that have built up over time, but currently I am struggling with my faith, mainly with the Bible being the inspired, inerrant word of God.

I just can't understand how the Bible can be true, if it really preaches some of the things it preaches. I don't want to sound blasphemous, and no doubt some of you will just tell me to submit to God and be silent, but honestly, I doubt very much the legitimacy of the Bible.

First, it is such a complicated book. If every man was left to his own to read it, everyone would form a different understanding of who God is. How can this be? Why is "the word of God" so complex, so difficult to understand? Why does God care to reveal himself in a book? Many people in the world can't even read...

I find it so very, very hard to accept that those people who haven't heard of Christ are damned to Hell... I also have a hard time accepting that man "deserves" Hell, simply by being born. If the Bible is God's infallible word, why do we all disagree on what it means? And why do we not want to accept some of the things it says - namely things that we don't like?

When I step outside the Bible, and do not take it as authoritative to begin with, I see many things that I would not consider "moral". I feel almost blasphemous saying this, but I would be lying to myself if I said otherwise. When I ask: "Should people go to Hell just because they don't believe in the Bible?" I am almost repulsed that I even consider the answer to be yes.

Think how many religious books there are out there, how many prophets and "gods" there are... If I was born Muslim, I'd be a Muslim... If I was born in India, I'd be a Hindu, etc. We are all products of our environment in terms of religion.

*sigh* I don't know. It just doesn't seem right to me, to venerate a book... something written by man, that can't be fully understood or agreed upon by even most brilliant men in history. And what does that mean for the common man? Then there are things which just seem completely irrelevant to life... things like the doctrine of the Trinity; the "divine attribute of God"; the book of revelation. How does this have anything to do with God? How will these things better our lives in any way, or make us better people? Why are we to read and believe another's understanding of God? If there is a God, won't he reveal himself to us each individually?

Thanks for your time

Try reading this for some of your questions: http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=7323024

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟135,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In all honesty, candidness, sincerity and love; these two posts:

There's nothing wrong with you, your just Orthodox Christian and you don't know it yet. :)

Forgive me....

it sounds to me like you need a Church that isnt based on the Bible, but rather on the living experience of Jesus Christ along with the Father and the Holy Spirit. and the Bible is a witness to this experience, but not the basis of it.

Are probably the best responses in this whole thread. Really.

So much of Western Theology is based on intellectual understanding. What does this mean? What does that mean? We must go to this source or that source and only this source or that source. We can only do this and do that. We must interpret this and that ourselves and for ourselves and only ourselves. We have to do everything ourselves. We have to find this ourselves. We must question every single thing including if the door in front of us is really made of wood. We must do this, we must do that. We must always missionize by giving people a Bible and telling them "have at it", expecting them to read and be illumined by only the text. We must go out and point out the errors of other and their organizations only to ignore the dirty laundry and skeletons of our own organizations. Blah, blah blah blah blah.

That is all wrong. We must rely on God and God alone. We must have the faith of a child and accept that some things truly are and must remain the mysteries that they are. We need to put aside our pride and instead of looking for verses to support whatever gripe or disgrunt we have with another, we need to look for things that will help us. If I were to suffer a heart attack, what would be a better treatment for it; CPR or rubbing sunscreen on my foot? I hate to say it friend, but a lot of your concerns and questions are reminiscent of those that other had that lead them to things that are, dare I say it, extra-biblical and things that are not, dare I say it, Western.

We could have all the correct Scriptures, interpretations, meanings, doctrines, dogmas and opinions we want and it would not make a lickin' difference if we did not live by them or had at least some grain of humility. No man is an island and we can not walk on water just because a spirit of unknown origin leads us to do so. What man needs most is to love God and all things will come after.

That is my two pennies here. Just a reminder of what may have been the two best responses by far:

There's nothing wrong with you, your just Orthodox Christian and you don't know it yet. :)

Forgive me....

it sounds to me like you need a Church that isnt based on the Bible, but rather on the living experience of Jesus Christ along with the Father and the Holy Spirit. and the Bible is a witness to this experience, but not the basis of it.

Upvote 0

kem2854

Jul 14, 2009
✟15,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am pleased to see that I am not the only one out there with these doubts and questions. I believe that there is a God, but I also believe in evolution. I am having some serious doubts about Christianity. This is mainly because "Christians" aren't any different than muslims, hindus, jews, etc. It's all "religion". We ask forgiveness and then in turn we feel ok with the screw ups we have made. It almost seems as though man created these theories to be able to live with themselves.

This may seem harsh but I cannot help the way that I think. I dated a man in training to become a pastor. In the course of our relationship he mentally and sometimes physically abused me. He also had some very serious addictions and cheated on me through our relationship as well. He is now in california in the process of becoming a pastor. I am not saying that I put all Christians under this category by any means, because I know some amazing christians. I just can't help but wonder if this is all a fairy tale.

I've done studies and read "The Case for Christ" and "The Case for Faith". I still cannot bring myself to believe that someone who murders, abuses, etc and calls himself a Christian will be in a better place than someone who never believed but lived his/her life in a respectable matter.

Upvote 0

CraigBaugher

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
✟8,167.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are many that call themselves Christians, but have not a clue what being a Christian means. Many claim to be pastors and Leaders of the Christian faith, and yet, have not a clue. The bible warns us about these individuals, and yes the book is differcult for many to understand, but the bible also tells us why. Many will hear but fail to understand; many will see but will be blind to what they have witnessed.

Yes it is true that a murder & rapist can see the light and be transformed, and yes a good person, Christian or not, can live a good life, as far as we see it, and still be subject to hell. Eternal life is not earned, it is a gift. You cannot go around treating the sick, feeding the poor, and acting humble to earn your way into heaven. Remember, let not your left hand know, what your right hand is doing. Our acts are to be quiet, and with stealth.

Sin kills the body, but faith in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit keeps the soul alive.

Salvation is based on faith. A gift that is given willingly, and not earned. Christ's moral body died for our sins, his spirit continues to live in all of us, if we only accept it.

I do not know who will be accepted into heaven, and it is not up to me to try and figure that one out. Regardless if they are Gay or straight, Murders or Rapist, Hindu or Jew, Christian or Islamic, all are my brothers and sisters, and all are to be loved the same.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well if you are stuggling with your faith may I ask what you faith is in?
According to his icon, His Faith is Christian, as is all of ours here on this board :)

Christian.gif

Upvote 0
S

satriani7

Hi dude,
you're just being honest which few self-professing Christians rarely do. Faith is given to men from God some get a large measure like Paul, some a small drop like Hitler. But God has good purpose for this in His grand plan to save all mankind through His pattern son Jesus,
(1 Tim 2:3-6).

I'm sorry I can't post you the full scriptures because of the forums rules and I haven't posted enough yet to do so , so I do apologise for that dude, you'll have to get your bible out,lol.

Here is where you can read that faith is poured out in measure is on men, it's just the way it is, it's God's business.

(Eph 4:13 & Rom 12:3).

Now the good news here apart for all mankind being saved eventually, is that for now your faith can and will be increased when God see's fit to do so in His grand plan.

(2 Cor 10:15).

So keep your chin up bro, and where erroneous unclear bibles are concerned, why not try looking out for these rather more faithful and accurate translations of the oldest known manuscripts that I've listed below, and I'm sure things will become a heck of a lot clearer on a daily basis.

Ferrar Fenton Bible in Modern English.

The Concordant Literal NT.

Robert Young's Literal Translation.

The Emphatic Diaglott.

Joseph Rotherham Emphasized Bible.

Happy hunting.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi dude,
you're just being honest which few self-professing Christians rarely do. Faith is given to men from God some get a large measure like Paul, some a small drop like Hitler. But God has good purpose for this in His grand plan to save all mankind through His pattern son Jesus, ......................

I'm sorry I can't post you the full scriptures because of the forums rules and I haven't posted enough yet to do so , so I do apologise for that dude, you'll have to get your bible out,lol..
Ahhh......You can always go to a count thread and just post a number of times until you reach a 100 or more. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes ehehe :)

Forum Number Games - Christian Forums

Upvote 0

acorn_777

May 9, 2005
✟281.00
Faith
Christian
This is mainly because "Christians" aren't any different than muslims, hindus, jews, etc. It's all "religion". We ask forgiveness and then in turn we feel ok with the screw ups we have made. It almost seems as though man created these theories to be able to live with themselves.

There is a difference though. Jesus Christ claimed the Living God of Israel. He also claimed to be the One that is to fulfill the ancient prophecies from the nation of Israel. Judaism was a highly recognized religion during the time of Christ, and there were many movements going about within Judaism.

There is credible artifacts about the nation of Israel going back 2000 years before Christ. Christ fulfilled the great prophecy of the Jews. Also, Christianity is monotheist and the God of Judaism/ Christianity claims that their is no other God before Him, that He is the only God.

As far as man creating the concept of God, ...that is a very interesting statement. Why would humans create a supernatural being, like a God, when there was no concept of such a thing as supernatural or spiritual?

How did man think of this, let's say 30,000 years ago when supposedly civilizations were rogue and bush?

Remember, they didn't have DVD's or TV? Was it nature? Maybe the assumption that Earth can cause our existence to cease, or just the fact that existence ceases. But still, how did that concept originate?

Well, for me, I say that God interacted with certain individuals throughout time, created a people to call His own, then sent Christ to spread His name throughout the future generations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.