• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggling with Fallout

Sevensong

Mar 18, 2015
✟15,798.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Things went completely off the rails for me beginning in childhood. I've only barely started to turn my life around since going to college at 25. I'm now 31, less than 3 months from my BA. But I still struggle so badly.

No one knows it. I excel academically. 4.0 GPA, already accepted into a Master's program. But I'm barely, barely getting by.

I'm completely socially isolated, have enormous problems socially for myriad reasons, have phobias that make it really hard to get or keep a job (not that I can this semester, since I'm taking 7 classes). It's really scary for me to confront anyone or stand up for myself, even when I know it's the right thing to do (and more often, I'm really confused).

I'm having huge interpersonal issues with roommates right now, as well as a college instructor, on top of being terrified of running out of money, which will happen shortly after I graduate. Between then and the time I start grad school in about mid-August, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself for money. I'm going to look into taking out another loan over the weekend. But my credit has been affected recently.

God keeps promising to take care of me, and I was carried along placidly enough for months, but recently, I've somehow let the worry in again, and it's been trying to take over and complete displace my peace and trust in God.

I'm just so worried about finding a job, problems at work, keeping a job...getting through the summer until grad school. It's only about 3 months. But I just don't know how I'll manage.

I know being alone and having no support is a huge part of the problem for me. I've always been really sensitive and affective, and just never had an outlet for any of that. I'm really scared of people in general.

Plus, I've been suicidal on and off since last May or so. The last couple of months have been much better, but the last few weeks, especially since financial worries got worse again, I've really been struggling. I don't know where to turn for help. I'm praying non-stop, of course. I keep going to church, too, but that's no help, at least not in terms of the people. I can't bear to be this close to a new life, when so many changes are within reach. I know God has brought me this far, and wants me to reach all of that; I just feel overwhelmed sometimes, and it feels so hard.

People around me keep packing on more things when I'm already struggling so much, and I just try not to think of the straw that broke the camel's back.

Reactions: BeStill&Know

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Things went completely off the rails for me beginning in childhood. I've only barely started to turn my life around since going to college at 25. I'm now 31, less than 3 months from my BA. But I still struggle so badly.

No one knows it. I excel academically. 4.0 GPA, already accepted into a Master's program. But I'm barely, barely getting by.

I'm completely socially isolated, have enormous problems socially for myriad reasons, have phobias that make it really hard to get or keep a job (not that I can this semester, since I'm taking 7 classes). It's really scary for me to confront anyone or stand up for myself, even when I know it's the right thing to do (and more often, I'm really confused).

I'm having huge interpersonal issues with roommates right now, as well as a college instructor, on top of being terrified of running out of money, which will happen shortly after I graduate. Between then and the time I start grad school in about mid-August, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself for money. I'm going to look into taking out another loan over the weekend. But my credit has been affected recently.

God keeps promising to take care of me, and I was carried along placidly enough for months, but recently, I've somehow let the worry in again, and it's been trying to take over and complete displace my peace and trust in God.

I'm just so worried about finding a job, problems at work, keeping a job...getting through the summer until grad school. It's only about 3 months. But I just don't know how I'll manage.

I know being alone and having no support is a huge part of the problem for me. I've always been really sensitive and affective, and just never had an outlet for any of that. I'm really scared of people in general.

Plus, I've been suicidal on and off since last May or so. The last couple of months have been much better, but the last few weeks, especially since financial worries got worse again, I've really been struggling. I don't know where to turn for help. I'm praying non-stop, of course. I keep going to church, too, but that's no help, at least not in terms of the people. I can't bear to be this close to a new life, when so many changes are within reach. I know God has brought me this far, and wants me to reach all of that; I just feel overwhelmed sometimes, and it feels so hard.

People around me keep packing on more things when I'm already struggling so much, and I just try not to think of the straw that broke the camel's back.

You have so much to offer, and I think if this particular anxiety were out of the way you would not feel so overwhelmed.

Why not consider volunteering your time for those 3 months; maybe your minister can help you to find accommodation in return for spending 3 months as a church volunteer. Alternatively, check out charities, summer camps etc which might be in need of teachers.

I wish you every success.

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Holy-Spirit-Voice1.jpg 13c786247fa072beabfc9cc9863e65dd.jpg 22ca37fdaf60b78417f46e04a5e7dc83.jpg

Reactions: Sevensong
Upvote 0

Sevensong

Mar 18, 2015
✟15,798.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you. But volunteering would not enable me to survive. I have no money, and no way to support myself. It sounds like you're from a small town. I live in a city, near a huge university. Around here, bringing an idea like that to a pastor would be looked at suspiciously. At best, he'd probably laugh at me. Especially since I'm very much an outsider at church. I'm just too shy to break into the cliques, and there really is no "place" for me. Worse, a lot of people seem to take shyness as arrogance, especially in women...which has always baffled me, but there you are. I'll look at charities that are hiring - thanks for the tip - but I'm not good with kids, and I've never heard of places like that supporting you in exchange for work. I can only guess that's a regional oddity.

If it's really a "thing," I'm very open to hearing about it, though. I couldn't even figure out how to google that. I only got the usual results for volunteering, where you have to pay instead of get paid, or else there's just no money involved at all, and no mention of room and board, either.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you. But volunteering would not enable me to survive. I have no money, and no way to support myself. It sounds like you're from a small town. I live in a city, near a huge university. Around here, bringing an idea like that to a pastor would be looked at suspiciously. At best, he'd probably laugh at me. Especially since I'm very much an outsider at church. I'm just too shy to break into the cliques, and there really is no "place" for me. Worse, a lot of people seem to take shyness as arrogance, especially in women...which has always baffled me, but there you are. I'll look at charities that are hiring - thanks for the tip - but I'm not good with kids, and I've never heard of places like that supporting you in exchange for work. I can only guess that's a regional oddity.

If it's really a "thing," I'm very open to hearing about it, though. I couldn't even figure out how to google that. I only got the usual results for volunteering, where you have to pay instead of get paid, or else there's just no money involved at all, and no mention of room and board, either.

I live in a reasonably large town in the UK, and it is very common for youth workers to volunteer in a parish in return for board. Not everyone has to be good with young people; older people need care as well. And some people employ house sitters for when they are on holiday; I would look around to see what you can find.

My brother spent a couple of years volunteering with VSO some years ago; that is why I suggested volunteering as an option.

Reactions: Sevensong
Upvote 0

Sevensong

Mar 18, 2015
✟15,798.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I see. Well, I'm in the Southwest US, and I've never heard of anything like that happening here. I'd hesitate to ask the pastor just because he might think I'm asking for a handout or something, or trying to impose upon people.

Yes, I'm definitely looking around. I need to start working almost as soon as I get my BA...Very, very worried, though I'm trying to leave it in God's hands.

Right now, it's hard enough to just get through the day, though...

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In my experience DID people are highly intelligent and most often very creative too. Your success with study does not surprise me.

DID is so hard to live with alone. But finding anyone who understands is a huge issue. It's well beyond most pastors' range of skills and knowledge. What you described would be very normal for a DID person trying to live amongst other people and having no real support.

Bless you
John
NZ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sevensong

Mar 18, 2015
✟15,798.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
DID? No, that's multiple personality, isn't it? Never had that, though my early life was bad enough that I guess I'm lucky I didn't develop it. For me, it's just the pretty straightforward type of trauma, albeit this was/is very severe. Overwhelming grief, fear, and other painful emotions. Some past counselors did think I have PTSD or even depression or anxiety, but I don't have multiple personalities or "lose time" or anything. I kind of wish I could sometimes, but no such luck.

I am trying to find a good new church to visit tomorrow morning, though.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Oh, I see. Well, I'm in the Southwest US, and I've never heard of anything like that happening here. I'd hesitate to ask the pastor just because he might think I'm asking for a handout or something, or trying to impose upon people.

Yes, I'm definitely looking around. I need to start working almost as soon as I get my BA...Very, very worried, though I'm trying to leave it in God's hands.

Right now, it's hard enough to just get through the day, though...

<Staff Edit>

You have told me what you cannot do; what can you do? What are your strengths? Can you offer tuition to youngsters? Can you help with adult education? If you cannot deal with people in large numbers, can you manage with one on one? Are their homeless people around you who could do with literacy help? Find who is doing good in your city, and see whether you can help them. <Staff Edit>

So ask. Seek out those charities. Ask the pastor, ask ladies in the congregation, put a card in the local store, give your CV to local businesses. <Staff Edit> remember that you can do this. <Staff Edit> The world belongs to you; go out and find your own bit of promised land.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

God's Child

Psalm 23
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2006
✟135,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Admin Hat On
This thread has undergone a clean up and is being reopened. If you noticed a post of yours missing it was removed in the clean up. Please keep the Recovery guidelines in mind when posting. Thank you and God bless.
Admin Hat On

Upvote 0

John Johnston

Apr 6, 2016
Kansas
✟15,155.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello
I hope you are still around. I will write a short post and if you are still around I could go into more detail of my experience in my past.

You talk about trauma. I assume that is trauma in you past. I see a lot of what I use to be in you. Not knowing your past I will just throw out a thought about what I went through and wonder if this could be true with you. I have written in great detail on other threads about what I went through. I was sexually abused as an early teen. I told no one. I told myself I would never tell anyone and take that information to my grave. Well I lived with that secret for 30 plus years. It totally messed me up in so many ways. I won't go into all that now but I had similar problems as you. Only after finally deciding to tell my pastor and then go through a lot of counselling to deal with the abuse did my life turn around.

So I am briefly telling you my story to say if you have some kind of trauma in your past that you have not dealt with nothing is going to change. Sure God has the power to heal your trauma hurts instantly but He may no do that. But He does give us a lot of good professionals to help us deal with the trauma from our past. I found a lot of good help and I finally overcame my past trauma of being sexually abused.

So I am suggesting that if you are trying to deal with some trauma from your past please seek out the help you need to overcome it. If you don't know where to turn go to any ER and tell them what you are going through and they will get you the help you need. I used a lot of secular councillors in my recovery. One of the many things I did to recover was to go through a very intensive inpatient treatment that helped greatly. Talking to a pastor is good but dealing with trauma like some type of abuse is very specialized and most pastors are not trained in what happens to the brain when you are abused or suffer a trauma. Especially trauma in your childhood.

So if this reflects your life in anyway please seek professional help. If I am totally off base then do not take anything I have said in anyway trying to demean you.

I say all I have said prayerfully and with a heavy heart for you.
I am praying for you.
John

Upvote 0