John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am only on the 2nd page of reading this post but I saw your comment before this one. Thank you for your comment. I think you are the first poster I believe that mentioned the prayer language, like you I found out that what is referred to as the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with praying in tongues is a separate thing from when the Holy Spirit enters us when we are saved. Upon studying it out I discovered it is for todays Christian as opposed to things I had heard when I was younger about how it ended with the last Apostle or yes the ole "it is of the devil " statement.The devil does have a false tongue so we must be careful. When I was studying and came across the scripture
Jude 1:20 But you, beloved, building yourselves up by your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit..... All I knew was I wanted more of the Lord I wanted to know the one who died for me, who loves me so I thought ok, if praying in tongues would build up my faith then it was for me and oh my, it is most assuredly for me, I started learning quicker after that and I fell so in love with the Lord. I pray the OP takes the next step into what God has for him. Thank you again and I am going to read those testimonies of healing myself as for me, they help build my faith.

Please this thread isn't about tongues. It's about death and resurrection.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am only on the 2nd page of reading this post but I saw your comment before this one. Thank you for your comment. I think you are the first poster I believe that mentioned the prayer language, like you I found out that what is referred to as the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with praying in tongues is a separate thing from when the Holy Spirit enters us when we are saved. Upon studying it out I discovered it is for todays Christian as opposed to things I had heard when I was younger about how it ended with the last Apostle or yes the ole "it is of the devil " statement.The devil does have a false tongue so we must be careful. When I was studying and came across the scripture
Jude 1:20 But you, beloved, building yourselves up by your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit..... All I knew was I wanted more of the Lord I wanted to know the one who died for me, who loves me so I thought ok, if praying in tongues would build up my faith then it was for me and oh my, it is most assuredly for me, I started learning quicker after that and I fell so in love with the Lord. I pray the OP takes the next step into what God has for him. Thank you again and I am going to read those testimonies of healing myself as for me, they help build my faith.

We ALWAYS pray in the Holy Spirit if we are true and mature believers...seeking God's will not our own in our prayers and praying for spiritual needs. See Romans 8:26-27:
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

Do not be misled.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear John,
Sorry to hear you are still feeling anxious, but here, too, is another passage to help you on your journey:
Romans 10:8-13:
“The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

We know there is more to the Scriptures than this, but anxiety sometimes confuses us so hang onto these words as Paul also instructs in I Corinthians 15:1-8:
Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

Sincerely in Christ

Reactions: John Davidson
Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry to hear you are still feeling anxious

This is a good description of the way I have been feeling. Health issues create a ton of anxiety.

I'm trying to relax and have peace and faith but it's hard.

Please pray for me.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
John, I'm actually getting worried about your death anxiety. You might want to read a little about death anxiety. There are some good references in this article - it's only Wikipedia, but it's a nice little overview with a lot of links.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_anxiety_(psychology)

Once you read a little about this phobia, you might want to consult a Christian psychologist who deals with existential matters - or at the very least, one who works with people who are dying. Your phobia may need clinical treatment.

In the meantime, it's impossible to encourage you... but I pray that the Spirit himself will bring you comfort in full knowledge that those who are in Christ and who die will also be raised with him in resurrection.

When my (now deceased) beloved was near the end, he told me that he didn't want to leave me. But I responded by knowing I had to let him go... and I said "why would you want to stay with me when you can go and be with Jesus? Just think - you get to go home and be with Jesus!" That was the last time I saw him alive. Not long after, the song "I Can Only Imagine" became very popular... and I could not hear it for the tears... I could imagine my beloved falling to his knees before Jesus, facing up to see his face, arms outstretched in worship, being enveloped in his light.

Instead of imagining your death, what would happen if you focus on imagining what it will be like when you see Jesus. What will you do, will you dance for joy, will you fall before him, will you run to embrace him? Can you imagine your first day in his presence, free of fear, free of pain, free of such distressing thoughts of your death? Can you focus on being with Jesus rather than being without the world?

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John, I'm actually getting worried about your death anxiety. You might want to read a little about death anxiety. There are some good references in this article - it's only Wikipedia, but it's a nice little overview with a lot of links.

Once you read a little about this phobia, you might want to consult a Christian psychologist who deals with existential matters - or at the very least, one who works with people who are dying. Your phobia may need clinical treatment.

Hi ValleyGal,

I really do think I have this form of death anxiety.

I have talked to my doctor about it.

Some days I am so anxious about death I can hardly sit still.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Talk to God about heaven and He will allay your fears. if I was that close I would be asking him questions on what paradise is like and looking forward to going there. When Jesus was dying on the cross, he told another dying man next to him that he would be with him in paradise. You are not going to be alone.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In the meantime, it's impossible to encourage you... but I pray that the Spirit himself will bring you comfort in full knowledge that those who are in Christ and who die will also be raised with him in resurrection.

When my (now deceased) beloved was near the end, he told me that he didn't want to leave me. But I responded by knowing I had to let him go... and I said "why would you want to stay with me when you can go and be with Jesus? Just think - you get to go home and be with Jesus!" That was the last time I saw him alive. Not long after, the song "I Can Only Imagine" became very popular... and I could not hear it for the tears... I could imagine my beloved falling to his knees before Jesus, facing up to see his face, arms outstretched in worship, being enveloped in his light.

Instead of imagining your death, what would happen if you focus on imagining what it will be like when you see Jesus. What will you do, will you dance for joy, will you fall before him, will you run to embrace him? Can you imagine your first day in his presence, free of fear, free of pain, free of such distressing thoughts of your death? Can you focus on being with Jesus rather than being without the world?

I found this statement from your article interesting:

"A 2013 study involving people from the US, Turkey, and Malaysia found that religiosity is positively correlated with increased fear of death, meaning more religious individuals fear death more."

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Talk to God about heaven and He will allay your fears. if I was that close I would be asking him questions on what paradise is like and looking forward to going there. When Jesus was dying on the cross, he told another dying man next to him that he would be with him in paradise. You are not going to be alone.
John 14.1-27 is always a good passage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced

"A 2013 study involving people from the US, Turkey, and Malaysia found that religiosity is positively correlated with increased fear of death, meaning more religious individuals fear death more."
Yes, I think it might be related to my own concept of "salvation anxiety" where we are not so much afraid of "death" itself (meaning existing outside of, or without, our body) as we are about the judgement seat and whatever outcome might await us. I think this might (hypothesizing, here) be related somehow to works-based faith, or perhaps that we are somehow not enough - which we really aren't enough and the very reason we absolutely must rely on, and have faith in, the Lord Jesus. His grace is sufficient. HE is sufficient, yet so many of us live lives that make us question his sufficiency, leaving us in fear of judgement. It would not surprise me if that is the reason so many "religious" people have increased death anxiety.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It doesn't mention which religions...just states "religiosity". If one is in a false religion well, there are many which do not deal properly with sin and so guilt remains.
No, this is not the way to look at things, Scripture was written for our endurance and our encouragement says Romans 15:4 and see Paul's great faith in the passage below...a mature believer most certainly and we must all aim for maturity...
Philippians 1:21-26:
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me.

Notice the promise embedded within the above passage...depart and be with Christ...you will not be in some undefined limbo when you depart, says here you will be with Christ when you depart and you will remain a member of His body.
Ask yourself, are you still desiring this earth? or are you simply afraid of the great unknown? If the later, I suggest you read Scriptures pertaining to death. It is somewhat unknown, but not entirely unknown and you will have to build trust in God. He loves you and protects you and He will certainly bring you rest, right? Your fear is really anxiety you seem to agree and believers can be striken with anxiety for I John 3:20 points this out. We see then from this passage that just because we do have fear or a feeling of condemnation that such feelings are not necessarily from God...Satan accuses and condemns us at times. If one is attacked this way we must exercise our faith all the more, in I John 3:16-18 some ideas are given, but any good deeds will both change your focus to others and away from yourself and your condition. This should help you build confidence in your salvation.You simply must pray. Pray to God, even with a mustard seed's worth of faith that God increase your faith, that He build you up in that faith and that He give you confidence as well as confidence to face the possibility of death.

With Love and Hugs

Upvote 0

DeepWater

Just The Truth
Aug 6, 2011
Israel (usually)
✟16,539.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
John,

Death is where we leave the thorns of life and enter into the blessed rest of really living.
Death is not about dying, its about moving to where you are meant to be, where you are born again to exist, and where Jesus is looking forward to seeing you and answering all your questions.
Dont you have a few to ask Him?
Death releases us from what is keeping us from enjoying our eternal life.
Paul said its FAR BETTER to depart this earth suit and be with the Lord, and he is not kidding.
John, always keep in mind that the Blood of Christ will get you home.
Its never fails.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not seeing the connection.

The John passage was clearly speaking of the afterlife and heaven.

These other passages don't seem to be speaking of the resurrection.
Isaiah 43 is speaking of the certain hope of the Lord being with someone who is passing through the waters, sometimes symbolic of death.

The passages were offered in the hope that they would be helpful, but we all need to search the Scriptures for ourselves.

Upvote 0