Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have known a few strippers in my life, and I was thinking about the morality of it yesterday and I wanted to bring it up here and see what y'all think about strippers. I can see how it is a huge temptation for a girl to get into: it can pay better than most jobs could after receiving a degree even, it's very simple to get hired if you look good enough, the job security is just fine as long as you can handle doing what you have to do. I mean really the upsides are huge. The downsides are pretty obvious, having to bare your entire body for anybody at all to see, you have to deal with creeps, etc.

So how do you feel about strippers. Do you feel like they are all sinful and in real need of help? How about someone who is in a situation where she can't get another job, and it's stripping or homeless? Does that make it any better in your eyes? How about a stripper doing it to pay her way through college, so that she can get into a job that doesn't require her to strip in the future? Do you think a Christian can be a stripper?

If one believes that the women participating in such activities are oppressed then it is a problem. Otherwise it is adults doing what they freely choose to do.

If the latter is the case and people feel that they must talk about how horrible the activity is then they do not have much respect for women.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As an aside, I have always found it repulsive to call strips clubs "gentleman's clubs." I don't know of a single gentleman who would be on their client listing.
Never actually been inside one, but I've never heard of a gentleman going and actually acting like a gentleman - unless he was a Christian who had a bad conscience about going in the first place.

Upvote 0

Tallerthanatree

Veteran
Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
✟10,291.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Gentlemen:

frat-party-fans.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2004
✟11,699.00
Faith
Other Religion
What I hate about these types of conversations is the focus on the worker. I'd rather figure out a way of getting the patrons of this profession to put their money elsewhere, maybe helping those that find themselves in such misfortune that they must strip to provide. It's the culture that allows for exploitation to that is to blame, not the exploited.

Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Do you think a Christian can be a Stripper? I don't think that a true, born again Christian with the Holy Spirit living inside them can with good conscious take up employment as a stripper.

This.
It's a question of loving God before yourself. Logically speaking, God > Us, so God's commands > our needs and wants. Might be a bad comparison, but think of those who would rather die than publically renounce Jesus. I don't know if one can go into stripping with a repentant heart. For sex slaves and other women forced to go through that horrible business.. the sin is on the master.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What I hate about these types of conversations is the focus on the worker. I'd rather figure out a way of getting the patrons of this profession to put their money elsewhere, maybe helping those that find themselves in such misfortune that they must strip to provide. It's the culture that allows for exploitation to that is to blame, not the exploited.
Getting patrons to change is the process of conversion.

And besides, generally speaking, the patrons aren't the victims except in the occasional odd case (warning, there are details).

Upvote 0

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
what an interesting conversation to come back to :) I was counting on that since I posted this on my way to work today. First I want to address this because it really popped out to me:

I agree in that the real way to address this issue is to address the people paying so much and so often for it. If the demand wasn't there, the temptation to supply wouldn't be there/wouldn't be as bad. If strippers had to work harder to get less money, where their pay rates became competitive with small restaurant waitresses and employees of that sort, that business would fall apart. But that isn't really what I wanted to discuss in this thread, I wanted to focus on the strippers (and not people forced into the sex industry in any way, people there by choice).

Here's my view on it. I truly feel terrible for them. Of the strippers I've met, both as just meeting friends who stripped while going to college, and actually talking to strippers at strip clubs during the handful of times I went to them, you could see that they were just defeated. I obviously don't speak for all strippers everywhere, I'm sure some enjoy that job and that lifestyle, but the ones I have met, that's the word that describes them, defeated. Some of them have no option outside of stripping to make a living so they strip just to put food on the table (especially in the case of those supporting kids on their own). And some are so sucked in by the money (and they seem to be aware of it), that even though they hate what they are doing, they can't walk away from the money. And I understand the temptation. Their job is easy (let's face it guys, not hard for a naked girl to find ways to turn us on and get us to pay to see more or get them to do more, doesn't take that amazing of a body or any crazy moves). And their pay is as good or better then most with college degrees (obviously varies depending on their body type and the location of their strip club, but pay rates are extremely high). On top of that, there is potential for HUGE raises in income by prostituting themselves or taking their strip act to the internet. So for someone who either is in desperate need for money, or someone who's biggest temptation is money, the draw to stripping is huge.

But I think it's undeniable that those who strip lose a huge part of themselves, they have this defeated attitude that either comes out in conversation and the way they live outside of the club, or is suppressed by drug/alcohol abuse. I don't see anyone being able to carry their bodies like that and feel whole and clean. And I say that with some experience (TMI alert: I've been nude on the 'net before, and it wasn't by my choice, and it absolutely defeated me and shamed me in a way that I can't describe with words).

So I guess what I'm saying is, I feel so bad for strippers. Their situation is so so tough, even though they've willingly walked into it. If my body could make huge profit, and I understood that before coming to Christ, I don't know if I could resist that temptation. And there's no way to fix this situation, you can't just tell a stripper to leave the club and come to Christ (well you can tell her but just don't expect great results) because that doesn't put food on the table and most strippers I think find security, not in their line of work, but in the steadyness and large amounts of pay they bring in. So I don't really know how to reach out to them or how to help them, but I feel so bad for them, it breaks my heart to hear stories about strippers and to even think about all the women out there caught up in this struggle feeling like their is no way out, with their body being so compromised.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

overit

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
✟17,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what an interesting conversation to come back to :) I was counting on that since I posted this on my way to work today. First I want to address this because it really popped out to me:

I agree in that the real way to address this issue is to address the people paying so much and so often for it. If the demand wasn't there, the temptation to supply wouldn't be there/wouldn't be as bad. If strippers had to work harder to get less money, where their pay rates became competitive with small restaurant waitresses and employees of that sort, that business would fall apart. But that isn't really what I wanted to discuss in this thread, I wanted to focus on the strippers (and not people forced into the sex industry in any way, people there by choice).

Here's my view on it. I truly feel terrible for them. Of the strippers I've met, both as just meeting friends who stripped while going to college, and actually talking to strippers at strip clubs during the handful of times I went to them, you could see that they were just defeated. I obviously don't speak for all strippers everywhere, I'm sure some enjoy that job and that lifestyle, but the ones I have met, that's the word that describes them, defeated. Some of them have no option outside of stripping to make a living so they strip just to put food on the table (especially in the case of those supporting kids on their own). And some are so sucked in by the money (and they seem to be aware of it), that even though they hate what they are doing, they can't walk away from the money. And I understand the temptation. Their job is easy (let's face it guys, not hard for a naked girl to find ways to turn us on and get us to pay to see more or get them to do more, doesn't take that amazing of a body or any crazy moves). And their pay is as good or better then most with college degrees (obviously varies depending on their body type and the location of their strip club, but pay rates are extremely high). On top of that, there is potential for HUGE raises in income by prostituting themselves or taking their strip act to the internet. So for someone who either is in desperate need for money, or someone who's biggest temptation is money, the draw to stripping is huge.

But I think it's undeniable that those who strip lose a huge part of themselves, they have this defeated attitude that either comes out in conversation and the way they live outside of the club, or is suppressed by drug/alcohol abuse. I don't see anyone being able to carry their bodies like that and feel whole and clean. And I say that with some experience (TMI alert: I've been nude on the 'net before, and it wasn't by my choice, and it absolutely defeated me and shamed me in a way that I can't describe with words).

So I guess what I'm saying is, I feel so bad for strippers. Their situation is so so tough, even though they've willingly walked into it. If my body could make huge profit, and I understood that before coming to Christ, I don't know if I could resist that temptation. And there's no way to fix this situation, you can't just tell a stripper to leave the club and come to Christ (well you can tell her but just don't expect great results) because that doesn't put food on the table and most strippers I think find security, not in their line of work, but in the steadyness and large amounts of pay they bring in. So I don't really know how to reach out to them or how to help them, but I feel so bad for them, it breaks my heart to hear stories about strippers and to even think about all the women out there caught up in this struggle feeling like their is no way out, with their body being so compromised.

Kev-you display the kind of grace, empathy and brokeness and mercy that CHrist wants from us.. any woman would be blessed to have in her life. I mean that-I see it over and over on these threads.... Don't ever lose that. I agree with what you say.

Reactions: kevlite2020
Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I could careless about the morality of the issue and I don't see any real moral confliction if she makes her own choice. If one wants to exploit their private parts instead of their hands or the brains, that's their business. They provide a service just as anyone else does with their hands or brain. So I wonder if it is sinful for people to abuse Sam Walton's dream to buy things that they don't need but for their indulgences. Or maybe brew masters are guilty of sin or immorality of providing toxins for people to drink. Point being, what is the line to what is considered tolerable and why? Why is sex and private body parts put into some special category that almost begs a different kind of moral rule of thumb to use? It makes no sense whatsoever if you ask me.

Nevertheless, I seriously wonder the damage that stripping could do to the mind for a woman. Like how is it going to affect her romantic life in the future? How is it going to affect the perception of her own physical appearance, her own self-esteem? It forces a redefinition of commitment. I mean, say a stripper is in a serious relationship, when people pay for tease dances, lap dances etc. the idea of commitment and faithfulness get re-defined. That's her job and not a relationship and yet she can go home to another man. So I do wonder if it can be damaging. Then again, like so many other things, damaging is just in how one reacts to doing something.

I think any type of person can be a Christian. If Christianity is justified by belief and not actions, than one can't judge ANY type of supposed 'immoral' person as a non-Christian no matter what scriptures anyone pulls simply because belief is more important at that point. The most sinful action type of Christian could be technically holier(in the Christian sense) than me because of belief and faith in Christ. If actions even dictated being a Christian, since there's nothing to really cure sin but to help you deal with it, then there's no reason why a stripper can't be a Christian. She/he would be just like other people with major issues in their lives affecting their faith.

In terms of how it is perceived, I don't have any bad look at women that strip for money. There's no reason to. Even if it is immoral, she's free to choose whatever she wants to do, that doesn't mean one should look bad at her. I don't enjoy strip joints simply because of how it is for me. Paying money to get teased? It makes more sense to pay a prostitute to have sex with than it does to pay a stripper to put her breasts in your face if you ask me, and since I don't like the idea of paying for anything like that, it just makes sense to stay away. I've only been to 2 strip joints. So no matter how I don't look really that down on strippers, it doesn't make me feel more justification to pay for their servicing.

If the world was dictated by how I perceive reality:
There would be no reason to strip because of concerning issues. There would be no financial need too big to tease men for. There would be no issue of thinking one is beautiful that somehow stripping for maybe many, it takes care of for a moment while making hundreds if not thousands a night depending on the night. If I was in control, the only reason why people would strip would be simply because that's what they want to do, as it is something that is very real even now that there are many people women who do it simply because that's what they enjoy. Since I can't control the world, my views are as they are above with stripping.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think stripping is a symptom of greater societal problems. In my opinion, it would be more productive to address the underlying issues than to give the women a hard time. Most of them are probably struggling in other ways, so why add insult to injury? Although I do think that stripping is at odds with Christianity, I also think that one can strip and be a Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
@Im_A
Belief stirs action.. I'm not sure you get how the process works.
Yes I get that. It happens all the time. The up and down motion of the Christian's life of sin and repentance. I get the process. One of the major problems with Christianity if you ask me.

Yet the reality is, your faith doesn't perfect anyone in this life and it perfects in the eyes of the god you believe in to obtain salvation through Christ.

So you can't hold any standard against a stripper as calling them a non-Christian because she takes clothes off her man. Because the belief stirs temporary action. You still sin, you still fall short and the Christian cycle repeats, thus the need continues. Its quite convenient if you ask me.

Upvote 0