Strange creatures that the bible mentions

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
It is one thing that the bible mentions some pretty strange creatures that we are pretty sure do not exist any more if they existed at all. The Book of Enoch says that the evil watchers mated with not just women but with animals too and from that came all kinds of creatures.

satyr-300x2171.jpg

Satyrs

Is 13:21 But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there.

Destruction_of_Leviathan-241x300.png

Leviathan

Job 41:1 Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down?
Additional Verses
Psalms 74:14
Psalms 104:26
Isaiah 27:1

images

Unicorn

Num 24:8 God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat up the nations his enemies, and shall break their bones, and pierce them through with his arrows.

Reactions: Hoshiyya

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A large portion of Enoch has Gnostic corruptions in it. The bible also has some mistranslations in it also. Leviathan is an aquatic lizard that lived long ago. The term is part of a parable. Leviathan is the dragon of the sea, and Behemoth is the dragon of the Earth / land / Desert / Wilderness. It is about secret societies. The term "sea" is parabolic for the multitudes of the world. The "Earth / Land / Desert / Wilderness" is parabolic of America.

Different translations use different words.

Revelation 12:9
The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the (earth / ground), and his (angels / messengers) with him.

See Dragon: https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?search=dragon&version=NIV&searchtype=all

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A large portion of Enoch has Gnostic corruptions in it. The bible also has some mistranslations in it also. Leviathan is an aquatic lizard that lived long ago. The term is part of a parable. Leviathan is the dragon of the sea, and Behemoth is the dragon of the Earth / land / Desert / Wilderness. It is about secret societies. The term "sea" is parabolic for the multitudes of the world. The "Earth / Land / Desert / Wilderness" is parabolic of America.

Different translations use different words.

Revelation 12:9
The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the (earth / ground), and his (angels / messengers) with him.

See Dragon: https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?search=dragon&version=NIV&searchtype=all
The problem is not with the conotation of what your saying but that Elohim is giving a pretty straight forward rebuke to Job when these things are described...and the description of behemoth matches a brontosaurus pretty well.while it may have been a learning session for Job...it was not a teaching session.

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is one thing that the bible mentions some pretty strange creatures that we are pretty sure do not exist any more if they existed at all. The Book of Enoch says that the evil watchers mated with not just women but with animals too and from that came all kinds of creatures.

Satyrs

Leviathan

Additional Verses
Psalms 74:14
Psalms 104:26
Isaiah 27:1

Unicorn

Even if we discount Enoch we know that they came down mated with women and...
*[[Gen 6:1-13]] RNKJV* And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
That the sons of Elohim saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
And יהוה said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of Elohim came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
And Elohim saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
And it repented יהוה that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
And יהוה said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
But Noah found favour in the eyes of יהוה.
These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with Elohim.
And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
The earth also was corrupt before Elohim, and the earth was filled with violence.
And Elohim looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
And Elohim said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

If we see they corrupted all flesh...it reminds me of a goat I saw on tv that had spider Dna engrafted into its own so that spider silk could be harvested out of its milk....since YHWH created each flesh after its own kind I say this qualifies as corruption.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The Book of Jasher (10:28, cf. Gen. 36:20, 1 Chron. 1:38) tells us that Seir (שעיר) was the son of Hur, son of Hivi, son of Canaan. The Edomites are repeatedly said to dwell in the country of Seir (for instance Gen. 36:8-9, Deut. 2:12, 2:22) and to have intermarried with the Hurites/Horites/Hivites, specifically the descendants of Seir and his descendant Anah (Gen. 36:2, 36:20-24).

The English-language Bible usually renders term “Seirim” (שעירים, see Isa. 13:21, 23:14, 2 Chron. 11:15) as “Satyr” and other such terms, but doesn’t Seirim simply mean Seirites, or sons of Seir, the descendant of Canaan ?

We see in Jasher 36:28-35, that Anah, the son of Seir, lived near to a wilderness inhabited by some strange creatures indeed. Jasher describes them thus:
“from their middle downward, [they] were in the shape of the children of men, and from their middle upward, some had the likeness of bears, and some the likeness of the keephas, with tails behind them from between their shoulders reaching down to the earth, like the tails of the ducheephath.”

“Keephas” resembles the Hebrew word for apes (Strong’s #6971) and like bears, apes have a somewhat man-like appearance, which might be a point of note here (note that the S at the end of “Keephas” may just be the English plural, making it the plural of קֹף which is the exact word for monkey; we do not have the original Hebrew text of Jasher so we cannot know, but the supposition seems realistic). “Ducheephath” would seem to be the word דוכיפת (an unclean bird mentioned in Lev. 11:19 and Deut. 14:19, translated “hoopoe” in English Bibles; the tails of the hybrid creatures would then be compared to the tailfeathers of the hoopoe in appearance ).
This story is given an obscure reference in Gen. 36:24.

Interestingly, the Targum of Jonathan ben Uzziel says that Anah was the first to breed mules, which are also hybrid creatures.
Maybe these Seirim are named for the region, or a general association with the (human) Seirites ?
This would then defend the interpretation of Seirim as some sort of hybrid or monstrous creature, as the context of Isa. 13:21, 23:14 and 2 Chron. 11:15 demands.

The translation “satyr” might be speculative, in that they are never directly described as half-man, half-goat, although it is an surprisingly accurate approximation, given the half-man, half-beast description of Jasher, which had presumably been lost by the time the translation of satyr was put in the Bible.

A similar type of hybrid creature is mentioned in Jasher (61:15), described thus:
“from the middle upward it resembled a man, and from the middle downward it resembled an animal”; however, this centaur-like monster is said to have dwelled in the land of Kittim, identified in Jasher (10:16) as Italy.

SOURCE:
Saturnalia, Satyrs, the Tower of Babel and the Garments of Adam: Questions and Curiosities in the Book of Jasher | The Plan of God

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why do we accept demon locust with mens faces and scorpian tails...or cherubim that are eagle man ox and lion with six wings and eyes all around...as perhaps having this actual apperance but all creatures on earth must be explained away as what we can see now.
We are even willing to give to the chance "big foot"could exist or aliens...but a creature from which mythologies might have arose cant be...
It has long been my understanding that those.mighty men of old born of women and sons of God became the exageration of ancient Gods and titans...or the giants and gods of the norse....and if this is possible then what of the many Gods seen as half man half ? As in egypt and native south and central america.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Dinosaurs like the brontosaurus did eat vegetation. Dragon was just a early term for large reptiles like dinosaurs.
I am not sure you are correct in relating dragons with dinosaurs... Reptiles ... cold blooded creatures.. sure!!!

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure you are correct in relating dragons with dinosaurs... Reptiles ... cold blooded creatures.. sure!!!

Dinosaurs have probably been called many things over time. The word dinosaur wasn't made up until the late 1800's.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The word dinosaur wasn't made up until the late 1800's.

Right. That was when men started finding the fossilized skeletons and realized they were something they knew nothing about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I thought the behemoth looked more like this.

tbcm-blog-may13-behold-now-behemoth-pic.jpg

Behemoth

If you read the Biblical descriptions of Behemot (which literally means "cattle" or "wildebeest") and Levyatan it becomes clear they do not refer to existing animals, at least not literally.

Scripture even says Levyatan has multiple heads (Ps 74:14) and can breathe fire (Job 41:19-20) !

In fact, the more we look into Levyatan the more clear it becomes that it is the equivalent of the 7-headed dragon in Revelation.

Basically, Leviathan is Satan or the Antichrist or the final world-ruling evil empire (with seven heads, ie seven rulers or seven dominant nations).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The word for satyr in Isaiah can mean a he-goat, and dances can be leaping or frolicking. Unicorns in the 1828 Webster's dictionary were rhinos. Bicorns were rhinos with two horns.

There are proofs of people seeing dinosaurs throughout history.
Ancient Dinosaur Depictions | Genesis Park

Upvote 0