Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Other than a common interpretation of St Paul's thorn, who is the first recorded instance of Stigmata in the Early Church? Any pre-schism. I know that in a Catholic's mind, there is probably no doubt that stigmata happened pre-schism and perhaps quite a bit to many holy people. But any recorded events of this happening?

Thanks a lot guys!

Xpy

PS: if possible, it would be great if you could post any reference or site or something that refers to this. Thanks.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Stigmata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Famous stigmatics

As for the early Church - it would be interesting to see if there is anything in the world that shows other Saints bearing these marks.
Perhaps the catacombs have a story - or some lost writing.

For now - we do not know.

A thought in my head is - maybe God allowed the wounds post schism so we reunite.

Accordingly the wounds smell of sanctity and they do not rot.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks guys. Someone had said that it was the first recorded in history and I just wanted to check out the veracity of this claim. It really wasn't to prove any kind of conclusion or agenda. It just wasn't from a catholic source that I had read it so I am generally suspicious of anything I read about other religions from other religions... if that made sense lol
Xpy

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks guys. Someone had said that it was the first recorded in history and I just wanted to check out the veracity of this claim. It really wasn't to prove any kind of conclusion or agenda. It just wasn't from a catholic source that I had read it so I am generally suspicious of anything I read about other religions from other religions... if that made sense lol
Xpy

Hey X,

I have a question for you (if you don't mind) that I have been wondering about for a week or more and debating with myself about asking over in TAW but since your here I will just ask you instead.

Do you know if there is record of Eucharistic miracles in the Eastern traditions.

Such as on this site: http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/a3.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey X,

I have a question for you (if you don't mind) that I have been wondering about for a week or more and debating with myself about asking over in TAW but since your here I will just ask you instead.

Do you know if there is record of Eucharistic miracles in the Eastern traditions.

Such as on this site: http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/a3.html
I don't know. If you are referring to the Eucharist turning into visible flesh and blood as has been reported at times in the West, in the East that is gconsidered a bad omen. i'm not sure what that comes from except for the simple (and perhaps unsatisfying answer) is that God meant for the Eucharist to take on theappearance of Bread and wine, period. But did you mean something else?

Ill check out hte link (what an idea!!! lol).

Xpy

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see, after reading it that it refers to many kinds of miracles. Yes, there have been many although at the moment I can't bring up specific examples. post the question in TAW. You will find, again, that the turning into actual flesh and blood is NOT considered a good thing in the East. It's considered coming from evil. Please understand that I do not bring this up in order to condemn your miracles or to condone. It's possible that it truly IS from God in the West and it truly IS demonic in the East simply because our mindsets are so different and therefore miracles (and curses) manifest themselves differently. Or maybe that's just bunk. I don;t know.

Again, post the question in TAW and I think you will, in time, get a number of helpful responses.

Xpy

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
are you talking about that link in TAW about St. Franciss and an Orthodox Saint? in Monicas thread right?

that is what I am referring to. I am not willing to condemn the article, but at the same time, considering the original source of the document (which is not Orthowiki), while it is an extremely helpful source for Orthodox, I would not go to it to learn about the RC faith just as I wouldn't go to NewAdvent to learn about Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I see, after reading it that it refers to many kinds of miracles. Yes, there have been many although at the moment I can't bring up specific examples. post the question in TAW. You will find, again, that the turning into actual flesh and blood is NOT considered a good thing in the East. It's considered coming from evil. Please understand that I do not bring this up in order to condemn your miracles or to condone. It's possible that it truly IS from God in the West and it truly IS demonic in the East simply because our mindsets are so different and therefore miracles (and curses) manifest themselves differently. Or maybe that's just bunk. I don;t know.

Again, post the question in TAW and I think you will, in time, get a number of helpful responses.

Xpy

I disagree with the East on that notion.
It doesnt COME FROM evil. Then evil could affect the Body and Blood of the Lord.

I understand its superstitious in the East because someone may have doubted. Which is ok - God knows we doubt - and that's why He changes the appearance to help His peeps believe.

Its not evil.

I think neither the Eucharistic miracles nor the stigmata are evil, bad or otherwise something to be superstitious about.

When they occur - the fruits from them in conversions is amazing...and is something God wants.
These are His tools....His visible outward signs.

Nice to see you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't know. If you are referring to the Eucharist turning into visible flesh and blood as has been reported at times in the West, in the East that is gconsidered a bad omen. i'm not sure what that comes from except for the simple (and perhaps unsatisfying answer) is that God meant for the Eucharist to take on theappearance of Bread and wine, period. But did you mean something else?

Ill check out hte link (what an idea!!! lol).

Xpy

and that is why y'all do not experience the miracle... you don't believe.

Upvote 0

namericanboy

Apr 9, 2005
✟2,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Other than a common interpretation of St Paul's thorn, who is the first recorded instance of Stigmata in the Early Church? Xpy [Quote

Hi Xpy...Could you elaborate on the Orthodox view of Paul's thorn in the flesh as to what they think it is... I also have heard some say the lashes/bruises Paul received as punishment for spreading the gospel have been attributed to stigmata..Thanks.nab

Reactions: Xpycoctomos
Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Great question, seriously. I think OBOBers will be able to help you very well with this. However, I have requested that this thread be closed so taht it doesn't further go downhill. So, although your question does relate to the title, it would be fantastic if you could start a new thread with this exact question.

God bless and thanks to the mods for closing this,

Xpy

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You will find, again, that the turning into actual flesh and blood is NOT considered a good thing in the East. It's considered coming from evil.

I've had it explained to me that if it happens, it usually happens as a warning - like if a priest was beginning to fail in his faith, and then God sends it as a warning, "Don't you dare start to doubt". I have a vague memory of a professor telling me a story about an Orthodox priest in history who experienced something like that for that reason, but I could be completely off.

I personally don't spend a lot of time thinking about it, because I always get this question in my mind: if a person truly believed, why would they need something like that to happen? So I tend to be more on the "God does it as a warning" (or something) train.

Edit: oh, sorry, I guess I'm just making things worse :(

Reactions: Xpycoctomos
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.