Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
We are just like a computer, that when its time, we just "shut off".

:confused: This is the best that this "Intellectual" can do?? This is supposed to be the profound knowledge that an intellectual can come up with? Never really was a surprise to me though.

His statement is pretty much in line with what the bible says. The "state of the dead" is referrenced a few times in the Old Testament - the modern religious belief that you shoot straight up to heaven after dying (or down to hell) - isn't really biblical. It's based on just a few passages of Scripture that are dubiously interpreted - specifically the incidence of Jesus's words to the theif on the cross. That little comma placement changes everything.

The *state* of the dead:

Psalms 6:3-5My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long? Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake. For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Psalms 115:17The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence.

Psalms 146:4His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish

Ecclesiastes 9:5,6For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Isaiah 38:18-19, "For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth. The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth."

My understanding of Scripture is that the dead are "waiting" for the second comming of Christ. This is plainly itterated here:

1 Corinthians 15: 20 But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟997,851.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
His statement is pretty much in line with what the bible says. The "state of the dead" is referrenced a few times in the Old Testament - the modern religious belief that you shoot straight up to heaven after dying (or down to hell) - isn't really biblical. It's based on just a few passages of Scripture that are dubiously interpreted - specifically the incidence of Jesus's words to the theif on the cross. That little comma placement changes everything.

The *state* of the dead:

Psalms 6:3-5My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long? Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake. For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Psalms 115:17The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence.

Psalms 146:4His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish

Ecclesiastes 9:5,6For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Isaiah 38:18-19, "For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth. The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth."

My understanding of Scripture is that the dead are "waiting" for the second comming of Christ. This is plainly itterated here:

1 Corinthians 15: 20 But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming.
I think it's just a feel good idea to deal with death. I see nothing biblical about it. :)

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
SO you believe we're just matter, no incorporeal soul, then?

No. I don't believe people live forever - in our bodies our out of them - unless God grants the gift of eternal life. I don't know about having an "incorporeal soul" apart from the body. It may be that when our bodies die, there is an incorporeal part of us that lives and is conscious.

I do believe we are more than "just" matter. But more and more I'm coming to the conclusion that physical and spiritual are inseparable. Neither can live without the other.

I have trouble seeing how resurection would work in that view.

I have a hard time understanding why God resurrects everyone for judgment if our bodies are not somehow necessary for our existence. If we live on incorporeally, with all our memories, personality, etc, then God could just judge the souls and throw them into the lake of fire. But Revelation tells us He will first resurrect them and then judge them.

I can see how you can piece back together or make a replica of your body and start it up, but I don't how I will be able to perceive what it perceives and have it's experiences, how the conciousness of my present body will be the same conciousness as the resurected body.

I don't understand your problem here. If God can breathe life - a soul - into a lump of clay and make Adam, I see no problem with God resurrecting people and giving them that spark of life - the soul - that they had before.

Nothing is impossible with God. Heck, that's not even difficult for God. He created us and gave us souls in the first place, why would it be more difficult for him to resurrect?

Upvote 0