United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Letalis said:
Obviously teaching them in a good environment isn't working. A new approach is needed to teach those types of students.

The problem is that there are problem kids for different reasons. Some are a problem because they understand the material too quickly and get bored, some are a problem because they don't understand the material quickly enough and get self conscious, some are a problem because of domestic issues, some are a problem because of personal problems. A new approach would be difficult to implenment because the new approach would have to deal with all these problems.

Upvote 0
C

cobaltburrito

ROTFL!!! I SOOOOOO remember that phase of my life...it was not good in many ways and one of them was the constant tension between childhood and being an adult. Unfortunately, childhood won, but I'm still working on it!
Well, I do totally agree with what you're saying, I think you may have misintrepeted my post slightly. I meant that teenagers and young adults are treated like children, but expected to act like adults in the eyes of the law and many older adults.

Upvote 0

Mr.Pious

Senior Veteran
Dec 23, 2003
✟17,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
During my entire high school career (seven years teaching) I've done quite a bit of educating on the subject. If I were to ship them all off to a reform-school gulag, I'd be teaching an empty class

I don't mean send every kid that talks to a friend. I was reffering more to the wana be gangbangers and the psuedo hardasses. Those kids are the ones that ruin the education system.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Mr.Pious said:
I don't mean send every kid that talks to a friend. I was reffering more to the wana be gangbangers and the psuedo hardasses. Those kids are the ones that ruin the education system.

Ok, there goes half my class instead.

Now, to whose neighborhood shall we ship off the malcontents?

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Different children require different approaches.
If we gave proper funding to the education system we would be able to work through many of these issues.

On the one hand, the good students should not be held back in their education because their teacher deals too much with a bad student. On the other hand, the bad student deserves for someone to find out what the problem really is and help that student.

Right now the schools just don't have the resources they need.

I don't believe in giving up on children, but by the same token, I don't believe in sacrificing 29 for 1.

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As to performance based salary - it is horrible.

Ross Perot pushed some of that nonsense through Texas and it has almost ruined education. Teachers teach to the tests, they cannot be creative, they cannot slow down or repeat or whatever it takes to really educate the child. They are too rushed to get that grade.

And frankly, it makes "average" students feel like total failures because the schools flaunt the honors students so much.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Silent Bob said:
Is it the teacher's fault that kids are more interested in going to the mall than learning where cuba is?

No, not at all. Why not: (different idea follows)

We should start a class on the reality of choices. Let the ones that are learning have charge of the rest, to do whatever needs doing around the school property. Give the chores of the school over to the learners and let them work the rest as painters, book organizers, gofers, grass cutters, dish washers, cleaners, sweepers, whatever needs doing. If you want to get out of school without an education then you will have to learn how to get along with the learning students as they pass/fail you based on your attitude and work ethic. If you don't have a reasonable chance at passing an actual academic type test, you can't take it. (teacher decision)
Two things are accomplished here. First we stop the decline in education as we attempt to get low enough through administering our fairness doctrines. We stop crying our bleeding hearts out over these kids and do something to help them. Second, some of these kids will wake up. I know I would.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Nathan Poe said:
That's what everyone else says. the result: Garbage never leaves the dump.

Yeah someone has to pick up the mess you know
And it ain't unfair for them to do so!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
JPPT1974 said:
Yeah someone has to pick up the mess you know
And it ain't unfair for them to do so!

Of course, back to my original question -- whose neighborhood shall these mega-reform schools be built in?

It sounds ike a sensible idea until NIMBY comes into play.

Upvote 0