✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mr.Pious said:
It doesn't matter what the parent thinks. Their opinon should not even be taken into account on the subject...
Right. How do you plan to conceal what happens to a child in school from his parents?

Upvote 0

Mr.Pious

Senior Veteran
Dec 23, 2003
✟17,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it should be concelaed. I think what the parents say should have little to no bearing. If they are upset that their little punk is being sent to a school with a bunch of other punks maybe they should send him to a private school that is payed enough to put up with him.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mr.Pious said:
I don't think it should be concelaed. I think what the parents say should have little to no bearing. If they are upset that their little punk is being sent to a school with a bunch of other punks maybe they should send him to a private school that is payed enough to put up with him.
Should that decision really come down to money?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Mr.Pious said:
I don't think it should be concelaed. I think what the parents say should have little to no bearing.

Parents having no bearing in their children's education? Not exactly a tenable position

If they are upset that their little punk is being sent to a school with a bunch of other punks maybe they should send him to a private school that is payed enough to put up with him.

Because as we all know, the parents of every punk out there are wealthy enough to afford private school -- the public school system's just for kicks.

Upvote 0

Mr.Pious

Senior Veteran
Dec 23, 2003
✟17,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Because as we all know, the parents of every punk out there are wealthy enough to afford private school -- the public school system's just for kicks.
If the child is not capable of behaving in a public school with normal individuals he should be sent to a school full of kids just like him with teachers trained to deal with problem kids. If the parents don't like it maybe they should show their child a little discipline.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Mr.Pious said:
If the child is not capable of behaving in a public school with normal individuals he should be sent to a school full of kids just like him with teachers trained to deal with problem kids.

dumping every creep, hoodlum, and hooligan into one location sounds like a recipe for disaster. Ignoring the NIMBY principle for a moment, who exactly are you going to find with the capabilites to deal with the most densely concentrated scum of adolescence?

If the parents don't like it maybe they should show their child a little discipline.

I'm all in favor of that, but parents tend to insist that they already do -- and then there are those who are just as undisciplined as their kids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr.Pious

Senior Veteran
Dec 23, 2003
✟17,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
I have not, kids, expecially teens, are old enough to know better. If they think they are too cool to listen to a teacher that is their own problem.
I believe telling them that if they screw up it will ruin their life will make them behave much more than telling them you are going to send them to the principle...

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Mr.Pious said:
I have not, kids, expecially teens, are old enough to know better. If they think they are too cool to listen to a teacher that is their own problem.

As a matter of fact, kids aren't old enough to know better -- that's where the whole "education" thing comes into play...

I believe telling them that if they screw up it will ruin their life will make them behave much more than telling them you are going to send them to the principle...

Not to nit-pick, but the word is principal.

And kids, especially teenagers, tend to be defiant. Are you ready to actually ruin their lives the first time they call your bluff?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Students' performance on standardized tests is one of the worst ways to evaluate teachers.

Come to think of it, it's not the best way to evaluate students, either.

The dedicated teachers I know well seem to think that less bureaucracy, red tape, meetings, and micromanagement would greatly enhance real learning, and I agree.

Upvote 0
C

cobaltburrito

So on one hand you want to treat us like adults and on the other you want to treat us like children?
That's great.

Reactions: k
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
cobaltburrito said:
So on one hand you want to treat us like adults and on the other you want to treat us like children?
That's great.

ROTFL!!! I SOOOOOO remember that phase of my life...it was not good in many ways and one of them was the constant tension between childhood and being an adult. Unfortunately, childhood won, but I'm still working on it!;)

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nathan Poe said:
As a matter of fact, kids aren't old enough to know better -- that's where the whole "education" thing comes into play...
Really? Because during my entire high school career, I don't remember once being educated on common decency.

Nathan Poe said:
And kids, especially teenagers, tend to be defiant. Are you ready to actually ruin their lives the first time they call your bluff?
Problem kids ruin the education for everyone else. They bring the overall quality of the classroom way down. Are you willing to ruin a child's life who actually desires to learn because the idea of putting a problem child with other problem children doesn't sit well with you? I don't see what the big deal about this is.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Letalis said:
Really? Because during my entire high school career, I don't remember once being educated on common decency.

The times, they are a-changin'.

During my entire high school career (seven years teaching) I've done quite a bit of educating on the subject. If I were to ship them all off to a reform-school gulag, I'd be teaching an empty class.

Problem kids ruin the education for everyone else. They bring the overall quality of the classroom way down. Are you willing to ruin a child's life who actually desires to learn because the idea of putting a problem child with other problem children doesn't sit well with you? I don't see what the big deal about this is.

On what critreia do we throw up our hands and decide that he/she is a "problem child"?

And who's going to teach them? Who's going to put in the effort at that point that after getting shipped off with the other rejects, that kid can be saved?

If we can't teach a "problem child" in a good environment, who honestly expects them to learn anything in a reform school?

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nathan Poe said:
The times, they are a-changin'.
Are they? Well, I'm 16 and still in high school and nothing is changing.

Nathan Poe said:
During my entire high school career (seven years teaching) I've done quite a bit of educating on the subject. If I were to ship them all off to a reform-school gulag, I'd be teaching an empty class.
Well maybe you can join them in reform school.

Nathan Poe said:
On what critreia do we throw up our hands and decide that he/she is a "problem child"?
How about those who disrupt class on a repeated basis? Sounds like a good criteria. After all, the students who actually want to learn deserve an education.

Nathan Poe said:
And who's going to teach them? Who's going to put in the effort at that point that after getting shipped off with the other rejects, that kid can be saved?
I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to try and save a problem child.

Nathan Poe said:
If we can't teach a "problem child" in a good environment, who honestly expects them to learn anything in a reform school?
Obviously teaching them in a good environment isn't working. A new approach is needed to teach those types of students.

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
trunks2k said:
My problem with it is that it's pushing a stronger reliance on standaradized tests. Instead of teaching children how to think, they get taught how to take the test.

I hated standardaized test time when I was in school. For a couple weeks out of the year, instead of focusing on learning new things and enforcing what we already knew, we were taught the stuff that was going to be on the exam.

For me, that was stuff I learned already.

In our system the only thing that matters is the standardised test. Basically at the age of 17/18 you do one or two tests for each subject (usually you take seven subjects). Based on your level and your grades in each exam you are given a certain number of points. You then are in competition with everyone else in the country to get into a college course that you had choosen previously in a preference list. For example if there is a course with 100 places the 100 people with the highest number of points that applied to that position get in.

Recent studies (I'll try and find them if you like) have shown that the number of points you get does reflect well on how you will do in college.

Upvote 0