✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
State Senate approves raw milk bill - JSOnline

Yay! Now it goes to the Assembly, but if it becomes law then it will be legal in Wisconsin to visit a family farm and buy raw milk directly from the farmer. Hopefully the Assembly votes in favor of consumer choice and leaves the bill unchanged.

I maintain that if I can buy sushi (raw fish) or a pack of cigarettes then I should have the right to buy raw milk. After that I can choose to pasteurize it myself, make it into cheese, or simply enjoy it ice cold straight from a clean pitcher in the fridge. So long as small-scale dairies are maintaining good cow health, pasturing their animals, disinfecting udders before milking, and keeping equipment sterile and storage tanks at the proper temperature there should be no issues.

A good day for those of use who choose to support our local farmers rather than big agribusiness :)

Reactions: ACougar

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Anybody wanna start a pool with how long untill some moron sues a farm for getting sick from the milk cause it didnt have a exentsive idiots guide label on it warning of everything?

There is a requirement that the milk is labeled saying it doesn't have the protection of pasteurization and shouldn't be consumed by the elderly etc. Hopefully that will be enough.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hopefully more states will adapt similar measures.

State Senate approves raw milk bill - JSOnline

Yay! Now it goes to the Assembly, but if it becomes law then it will be legal in Wisconsin to visit a family farm and buy raw milk directly from the farmer. Hopefully the Assembly votes in favor of consumer choice and leaves the bill unchanged.

I maintain that if I can buy sushi (raw fish) or a pack of cigarettes then I should have the right to buy raw milk. After that I can choose to pasteurize it myself, make it into cheese, or simply enjoy it ice cold straight from a clean pitcher in the fridge. So long as small-scale dairies are maintaining good cow health, pasturing their animals, disinfecting udders before milking, and keeping equipment sterile and storage tanks at the proper temperature there should be no issues.

A good day for those of use who choose to support our local farmers rather than big agribusiness :)

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a requirement that the milk is labeled saying it doesn't have the protection of pasteurization and shouldn't be consumed by the elderly etc. Hopefully that will be enough.
It's the children, not the elderly, who were dying like flies before milk pasteurization became law.

Upvote 0

ThankGodforGod

Jul 17, 2009
✟9,281.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Quick anatomy lesson folks, please pay attention.

Cow_behind_udder_DSC04046.jpg

Notice the cow's anus is right over the cow's utters? Are you seriously telling me that you can see no problems with drinking something expressed from this region before it was sterilized? Would you eat food that I had soaked in a toilet bowl for a couple of days?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
And here we go.

People are already drinking unpasteurized milk at phenomenal rates despite it being illegal in so many places. Udders are sanitized before milking and cows that are allowed to eat grass don't have the problems with acid-resistant E. coli that corn-fed cows do. Also, if you think the huge "farms" where cows are milked for regular cheap pasteurized milk are anything close to clean you are sadly mistaken.

This is about choice. People choose every single day to smoke cigarettes, eat sushi, leave their egg yolks runny (Or consume the whole egg raw right out of the shell), and eat rare steak (I won't eat my steak any other way, though I only eat grass-fed beef nowadays). If you think the idea of raw milk is gross then don't drink it. Problem solved. But don't interfere with my choice to drink it if I want it.

For the record, I don't advocate giving raw milk to babies or small children any more than I'd give them a rare, bloody piece of steak. Kids under a year aren't supposed to have cow's milk anyway. My own babies are going to be drinking (raw!) breastmilk until at least a year and the solids they get will be safe. If they get any cow's milk after a year of age I can always take the raw stuff I intend to drink and pasteurize it myself before giving it to them.

Upvote 0

BotanicalBob

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,966.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Quick anatomy lesson folks, please pay attention.

Notice the cow's anus is right over the cow's utters? Are you seriously telling me that you can see no problems with drinking something expressed from this region before it was sterilized? Would you eat food that I had soaked in a toilet bowl for a couple of days?

Heathly, grass fed cow don't look like that.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I believe the warning label should be more inclusive.
Much like the egg warning most resturants offer to customers.

unpasteurized milk may be harmful to:
the very young
the very old
immuno-compromised people of any age
Women that are pregnant or nursing should consult a Doctor before use.
(this one goes for everything on earth, if your pregnant, check with your Dr before everything. breathing and bowel movements are exceptable, even encouraged, all else, check.)

Personally, I would not drink milk without it being Pasteurized, but my preference should not affect others educated decisions.

Of course people will sue, they sue for every reason already. The unpast milkers, will have to try to perfect the warning label to protect them from as many lawsuits as possible.
Will insurance cover unpasteurized milk sales?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums