Bowser

Oct 12, 2003
Silent Planet
Visit site
✟407.00
Faith
Christian
Hey all,

I'm hosting a chat in teamspeak and I'd like to invite any of you who might be interested. The talk is tailored to any players who want to improve their game. I think any player of any race and of any league can benefit from this.

I'll be inviting some friends who are strong players, and we'll discuss the game-sense (the 6th sense), long-term strategy (expanding), timing, harassment, and scouting. In this session we won't specifically talk about mechanics, builds, or tactics, although we will discuss them if we have time and if they come up. Instead, we want to focus on more abstract items, like the mind-game that is StarCraft; how you can read your opponent, and ways that you can conceal your strategy.

I expect the talk to last about 30-45 minutes (maybe longer).

I'll probably hold the discussion on Friday or Saturday, sometime in the afternoon. If you're interested in attending please let me know and what time you can make it. You're welcome to invite friends. We'll also try to record it in case you miss out.

Please visit this thread for more info: Talk StarCraft with us - Christian Gamers Alliance Forums (I may not update it here)

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm SO BAD at playing this game online! Anyone know any good youtube tutorials for good online strategy? I know where were a lot for WarCraft 3, some good, some bad.

As was mentioned, watch HDstarcraft and other commentators on high level games--particularly of the race(s) you want to play.

Starcraft 2 Strategy And Commentary Guide and Liquipedia Starcraft 2 Wiki also have good strategy information. Also cruise the Blizzard SC2 forums, as you can often find a lot of gems in there. I've been bookmarking a lot of useful threads there lately.

The most general "strategy" is that you need to learn what units and compositions counter what units and compositions. StarCraft is a massive game of rock-paper-scissors. Scouting is key.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm really terrified of playing online.

Largely because I can neither rush nor defend against them.

Best RTS moments were deliberately trucing for half an hour and then having massive epic boomer wars.

Heart of The Swarm + refereeing options, Blizzard, and be quick about it!

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm really terrified of playing online.

Largely because I can neither rush nor defend against them.

Best RTS moments were deliberately trucing for half an hour and then having massive epic boomer wars.

Heart of The Swarm + refereeing options, Blizzard, and be quick about it!

It really depends on the kind of rush you're talking about. The most deadly is a 6 pool zergling rush(build nothing else but a spawning pool) or a Protoss cannon rush (drop cannons in your opponent's base). But those are very large gambles. If they fail, you've basically won the game. Don't be afraid to pull probes off minerals to attack things.

If it's a bit later and you're facing a more "traditional" rush, you need to wall yourself in. Pylon at the convenient mini-ramp to your base, gateway (or 2), and then 2 zealots to block off the wall. If zerglings cannot surround things, they have a hard time killing stuff. For marines, you may have to entice them to come up the ramp because your opponent might try to micro you away from your base. Generally a photon cannon that can shoot down the ramp will usually keep the marines straight. A photon cannon + a few zealots is enough to deter most rushes. Once you've walled yourself in successfully you can go about teching to whatever you want. A lot of people use void rays.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It really depends on the kind of rush you're talking about. The most deadly is a 6 pool zergling rush(build nothing else but a spawning pool) or a Protoss cannon rush (drop cannons in your opponent's base). But those are very large gambles. If they fail, you've basically won the game. Don't be afraid to pull probes off minerals to attack things.

Yes, I meant the early-game rushes. I'm all for crushing your opponent with almighty force in the mid to late game ;) (or being crushed, as long as it's done with finesse)

If it's a bit later and you're facing a more "traditional" rush, you need to wall yourself in. Pylon at the convenient mini-ramp to your base, gateway (or 2), and then 2 zealots to block off the wall. If zerglings cannot surround things, they have a hard time killing stuff. For marines, you may have to entice them to come up the ramp because your opponent might try to micro you away from your base. Generally a photon cannon that can shoot down the ramp will usually keep the marines straight. A photon cannon + a few zealots is enough to deter most rushes. Once you've walled yourself in successfully you can go about teching to whatever you want. A lot of people use void rays.

Well, that's generally what I tend to do anyway.

Has anyone checked out custom maps yet? The whole convenient-half-dozen-mesa with vespene geysers paired with mineral clusters is nice and organised but a bit more variety would be nice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I meant the early-game rushes. I'm all for crushing your opponent with almighty force in the mid to late game ;) (or being crushed, as long as it's done with finesse)

I was differentiating between very early game and early game. A 6 pool rush is where you build no drones. You get 200 minerals and build a Spawning Pool. This allows you to pop out zerglings really early, likely before the opponent has any forces. A lot of players tend to send their drones as well. If done right, you win. If they defend against it, you are destroyed. Protoss have a similarly lame move where they will go into a person's base and start dropping Pylons and cannons everywhere.

Upvote 0

Tek7

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I started a StarCraft clan in 1999 (that's still going strong today as a multi-game group), played StarCraft and Brood War for years, created custom StarCraft maps, wrote StarCraft fan fiction, and pre-ordered StarCraft II.

So yes, I'm a fan. :D

If you're looking for other Christian gamers to play StarCraft II with, add me to your Battle.net friends list. My character name is Tek and my identifier is 935.

The group I mentioned above, Tribe of Judah (link in my signature), has an active StarCraft chapter with a weekly Saturday game event and players of all levels of skill. You can find a list of active members and their Battle.net information on our StarCraft Chapter Forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tek7

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Necroing this thread. Wondering if any forum goers here would like to play some 2v2 or 3v3 games on the ladder. <3 SC 2
Tribe of Judah has several active SC2 players in its StarCraft chapter.

I would post a direct link to the Tribe of Judah StarCraft Chapter Forums, but I'm still 22 posts short of being able to post links.

Upvote 0