Starbucks CEO - embrace gay marriage or leave!

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
fetch

During the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting, CEO Howard Schultz had a clear message to send to investors who don’t support gay marriage: he doesn’t want your business.

Schultz went on to claim that Starbucks strives to “embrace diversity of all kinds.” He then went on to tell a shareholder who stands behind traditional marriage to sell his shares and invest elsewhere.

Forbes reported that Schultz seemed hostile and intolerant of any shareholders who objected to gay marriage for moral or religious reasons.

What do you think? Is this a bad move on Starbucks’ part?

Source: Starbucks CEO: 'If You Support Traditional Marriage We Don't Want Your Business" - American News - Breaking News, Political News and Updates

edit: Warning, the article and its link above appears to be a "fake news" story, at least most of it appears to be anyway. Please check out the rest of the story at the link that 2PhiloVoid posited for us below:

Did Starbucks CEO Really Say, 'We Don't Want Your Business'?

Thanks 2PV :oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brinny

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
fetch

During the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting, CEO Howard Schultz had a clear message to send to investors who don’t support gay marriage: he doesn’t want your business.

Schultz went on to claim that Starbucks strives to “embrace diversity of all kinds.” He then went on to tell a shareholder who stands behind traditional marriage to sell his shares and invest elsewhere.

Forbes reported that Schultz seemed hostile and intolerant of any shareholders who objected to gay marriage for moral or religious reasons.

Source: Starbucks CEO: 'If You Support Traditional Marriage We Don't Want Your Business" - American News - Breaking News, Political News and Updates

While I appreciate your zeal, you may want to check out this counterpoint:

Make sure to check your sources before posting, students. ;)

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi 2PV, no zeal intended, just reporting what I read. It was posted elsewhere by someone who never posts "fake news" (but it looks like he did this time :(). I'm surprised that he didn't check the story out first because he always has in the past.

I'm going to take a little closer look, but I will edit the OP to include the link to the article you just posited for us.

Thanks brother :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi 2PV, no zeal intended, just reporting what I read. It was posted elsewhere by someone who never posts "fake news" (but it looks like he did this time :(), so I must admit to being surprised that he didn't check the story out first. I'm going to take a little closer look, but I will edit the OP to include the link to the article you just posited for us.

Thanks brother :)

You're welcome! :cool:

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi philo,

You know, when I read the opening post, what you found was exactly what was going through my head. That the CEO did not say anything about the rightness or wrongness of gay marriage or the gay lifestyle. He said that in their workplaces they supported diversity and when a shareholder asked about not being happy with the companies position on gay issues he clearly said that the shareholder was free to sell his shares.

As far as I'm concerned, for a business, that would be a perfectly acceptable and good position. Businesses aren't churches. People, whether they are gay or pedophiles or murderers of whatever, need to work.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
fetch

edit: Warning, the article and its link above appears to be a "fake news" story, at least most of it appears to be anyway. Please check out the rest of the story at the link that 2PhiloVoid posited for us below:

If that's true, I had my last Starbucks coffee yesterday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
fetch

The Forbes article is also from 2013.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There's hardly any businesses that are going to come out against same-sex marriage or gay rights because it doesn't make good business sense to do so. Schulz was just being fair in saying if his company policy of non-discrimination and diversity bothers you, look elsewhere. Even Wal-Mart gets a fairly good rating by the HRC (Human Rights Commission, a gay rights group). If you boycott Starbucks for this, you might as well boycott Wal-Mart and every other company.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
There's hardly any businesses that are going to come out against same-sex marriage or gay rights because it doesn't make good business sense to do so. Schulz was just being fair in saying if his company policy of non-discrimination and diversity bothers you, look elsewhere. Even Wal-Mart gets a fairly good rating by the HRC (Human Rights Commission, a gay rights group). If you boycott Starbucks for this, you might as well boycott Wal-Mart and every other company.

They went further than just supporting the concept. They're in the tank.

From the Starbucks company news page:

"Starbucks has been a longtime advocate for the LGBT community and marriage equality. The company filed an amicus brief to the Supreme Court case challenging the Defense of Marriage Act in 2013 and signed onto The People’s Brief earlier this year. "
and
"Months later, in October of 2013, Starbucks added coverage of transgender reassignment surgery to the company’s health benefits. It had already covered prescription drugs for hormone replacement therapy and mental health care. In 2014, a year later, Starbucks removed the financial cap on surgery benefits."
Starbucks Applauds Supreme Court’s Ruling on Marriage Equality

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They went further than just supporting the concept. They're in the tank.

From the Starbucks company news page:

"Starbucks has been a longtime advocate for the LGBT community and marriage equality. The company filed an amicus brief to the Supreme Court case challenging the Defense of Marriage Act in 2013 and signed onto The People’s Brief earlier this year. "
and
"Months later, in October of 2013, Starbucks added coverage of transgender reassignment surgery to the company’s health benefits. It had already covered prescription drugs for hormone replacement therapy and mental health care. In 2014, a year later, Starbucks removed the financial cap on surgery benefits."
Starbucks Applauds Supreme Court’s Ruling on Marriage Equality
I wonder how this affects the selection process for new employees. If they are expected to express support for company policy, we might see a discrimination case lodged by a Christian.

Upvote 0