1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Verse of the Week - Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Discuss Just Click Here
  3. Faith Options in Your User Profile
    Please click on the following regarding this important notice in Announcements:

Faith Options in Your User Profile.

Star Wars OR Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FoogieFighters, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Floyd20

Floyd20 Newbie

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    CA-Greens
    Faith:
    Christian
    I have been known to post on a Trek bulletin board from time to time. Perhaps I have read over 200 ST novels. In fact, reading ST novels may be more of a sign of health for me than reading a chapter of the Bible. Though it is true that if I am not reading the Bible, then something serious needs to be seen to. Going through TNG TV series and maybe eventually continuing with ENT TV series. I actually liked DS9. The multiverse does come across as a bit too humanist or even alienist. Also adolescent but good entertainment.

2. goingbananas

goingbananas Love, Luck, and Lollipops

Faith:
    Catholic
    Star Wars and Star Trek are actually very different. Star Trek was never meant to be this action-packed extravaganza like Star Wars, it was more cerebral.

Of course the new Star Trek movies threw all of that in the trash and decided to just make it Star Wars -.- but whatever. I'll spare the board my rant on how awful I thought Into Darkness was.

I haven't seen very much of Star Trek but I really liked the episodes I have seen. I loved the (original) Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan as well. I haven't seen the others yet.

That being said, I'm more familiar with Star Wars. I've grown up with all the movies and it was a big part of my childhood lol.

3. sunshineforJesus

sunshineforJesus is so in love with God

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    I love Star wars and have seen all the movies I think.Star Trek is very boring in my opinion.

4. William67

William67 Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the tech of Star Trek, but could really do without all the liberal garbage.

Star Wars was ok, but for me it was a little bit too much of "my kung-fu is stronger than yours". Too much cheese.

5. pointman7a

pointman7a Guest

Star Trek novels are very addicting. Used book stores usually have abundant stock. But on special occasions I will purchase a new one at full price.:D

6. sunshineforJesus

sunshineforJesus is so in love with God

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
  7. William67

William67 Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Redneck Star Trek!

8. WalksWithChrist

WalksWithChrist Seeking God's Will

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Unitarian
    And they usually have plenty of copies of Imzadi II.
    ^_^

9. pointman7a

pointman7a Guest

This one used book store has a whole back room full Star Trek books some dating back to the 70s and 80s. Yellow or torn or falling apart. I will read it. And when you think you read them all....another trilogy pops up. As long as they don't mess with the Canon or get carry away with alternate timelines.
    I never read Imzadi.

10. William67

William67 Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anyone play Starfleet Command or SFC:Orion Pirates?

11. WalksWithChrist

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Unitarian
    I think I read the first one, but not the second. I didn't want to push my luck.
    :D
    The older novels are really good. I've read just a few of those. Star Wars too. Those old Han Solo novels are great.

And nice to see you around!
    :wave:

12. CryOfALion

CryOfALion Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Star Trek: Voyager, TNG, and TOS. Didn't get into DS9 much, but like the idea.

Even though both represented idealized united worlds looking beyond issues we have today (like racism, hunger, povety, etc.,) to me Star Trek focused on the constant maintainance of this ideal, while Star Wars defended the platform for which it existed (the entire universe.) The Emperor didn't want to destroy the galaxy, he wanted to dictate it and oppress the republics. The focus is cosmological politics. In Trek, plenty of entities could care less about the destruction of a galaxy (a la the Borg,) and rather focus more on destroying what it means to be human/vulcan/etc. For example, the Borg will destroy an entire solar system to assimilate a few into the hive mind. The struggle is not saving the planets, or destroying the enemy, but the choice to abandon what makes you you, in exchange for security and certain destruction. It is a meme of life. The villains of Star Trek are props for social and political issues that truly affected the world in an intimate way.

13. Lewisb

Lewisb Guest

I love star wars because of the fantasy element to it, star trek is too cold and science based for me. Although I thought Q was an interesting character.

14. DaveW-Ohev

DaveW-Ohev Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Messianic
    The original set was called Star Trek Log 1,2,3, etc. and were written by Allan Dean Foster. He also was ghost-writer for the novelized version of "Star Wars IV A New Hope" for Lucas. (Wrote the 2nd SW book "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" under his own name)

Foster was a master of keeping well known characters true to their character in his novels.

15. Jossoj

Jossoj New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Seeker
    s

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  16. Sistrin

Sistrin Rightful King of Westeros

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Stumbled across this sub-forum and decided to start here.

[​IMG]

I favor Star Trek for a number of reasons, with DS-9 being the best of the five incarnations.

Star Wars was the same movie re-done four times, with the only stand-out being Empire Strikes Back. Very little thought ever went into either the story, continuity, or realism.

17. westen

westen Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Both, definitely. As for Star Trek, I'm in the minority that prefers "Voyager."

18. Sistrin

Sistrin Rightful King of Westeros

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Voyager had its moments. It featured both one of the best Trek episodes ever produced and absolutely the worst Trek episode ever produced.

19. WalksWithChrist

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Unitarian
    The Voyager haters are out there. But I ended up really liking it.