Glücksdrache
Sep 2, 2009
Göttingen
✟8,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I find this interesting. As stated, there has been a long and continual debate raging between fans of Star Trek and fans of Star Wars over which is the better science fiction. Paramount executives apparently decided this question long ago. If they based their decision to return Star Trek to the big screen in response to the success of an intellectual science fiction film as opposed to a Flash Gordon space opera rip-off science fantasy, then Star Trek won before the debate truly began.
It has been mentioned several times in this thread before, but apparently people still mistake Star Wars as Science Fiction. Of course any comparison between the two franchises based on that assumption will come up with Star Treck on top. But it's simply ignoring that Star Treck is not Sci-Fi, but fantasy; one could even be justified in calling it a classical fairy tale, since it shares many characteristics with those (like the failure-ridden hero's journey, the anima/animus symbolism, and the antagonists as personifications of the hero's inner demons).
At least I find that very much true about the original triology (esp. Empire Strikes Back). The new movies imo made the mistake to try to be more Sci-Fi than the premise was good for (see Midi-chlorians).

So as a space opera fairy-tale I think Star Wars (tho original movies) succeeds more than Star Treck does as a Science-Fiction. Or does anybody realy consider all this techno-babble, convenient anomalies and utopic societies good speculation rather than pure plot-devices?
Ok, maybe I'm a bit harsh here, Star Treck can be really good when it uses those plot devices for some interesting explorations of the human psyche or society. But personally I think it too often fails to do that or only presents rather simple moral messages.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
It has been mentioned several times in this thread before, but apparently people still mistake Star Wars as Science Fiction. Of course any comparison between the two franchises based on that assumption will come up with Star Treck on top. But it's simply ignoring that Star Treck is not Sci-Fi, but fantasy; one could even be justified in calling it a classical fairy tale, since it shares many characteristics with those (like the failure-ridden hero's journey, the anima/animus symbolism, and the antagonists as personifications of the hero's inner demons).
At least I find that very much true about the original triology (esp. Empire Strikes Back). The new movies imo made the mistake to try to be more Sci-Fi than the premise was good for (see Midi-chlorians).

So as a space opera fairy-tale I think Star Wars (tho original movies) succeeds more than Star Treck does as a Science-Fiction. Or does anybody realy consider all this techno-babble, convenient anomalies and utopic societies good speculation rather than pure plot-devices?
Ok, maybe I'm a bit harsh here, Star Treck can be really good when it uses those plot devices for some interesting explorations of the human psyche or society. But personally I think it too often fails to do that or only presents rather simple moral messages.
Good points.

We can talk at length about the plot fails Star Trek has pushed on us! Of course those are more with the recent stuff.

One I loved was "Red Matter" from the new movie. What is Red Matter and why does it look like a Lava Lamp and why does it create black holes? And more importantly...why do I care? Big Fail there.
:cool:

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
They could have come up with a better name for it.

Or maybe it was an acronym.

Ready to Enter another Dimension Matter.
They could have at least faked it. Flux capacitor, hydrospanner...something!

I can think of many forms of matter that are red.
And none of them open up black holes!

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well personally I'm a Star Wars person. Our entire family has grown up with it! Hee hee. So here's the big question "Star Wars Or Star Trek?" If you want to put why, that would be super too. (also my favorite dude, and movie is : The forth one (So the first one that came out) and then the Storm Troopers!)

C-3P0 rocks my socks too

Definitely, Star Wars. Star Wars has always seemed to me to be more action oriented and colorful, with a slight edge.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Definitely, Star Wars. Star Wars has always seemed to me to be more action oriented and colorful, with a slight edge.
That's a good point. Star Wars always has something going on. Some episodes of Next Generation for example like the later seasons...snooze fest! The one with Deanna Troi floating in the dark with the two circles or something? Awful!

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't been through all of Star Trek, I'd probably like it even more if I watched it all. But so far Star Wars is my favvo
There are still some Original Series episodes I'm not familiar with. So I better work to correct that!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A few months ago I would have said "Both".
However, a few months ago, my wife and I started queuing ST: TNG in our netflix queue. We started with Ep1 on disk 1, and got about halfway through the 2nd season before we gave it up. It just didn't engage us the way Star Wars does. Which is odd, due to the fact that we never missed and episode of TNG when it was on TV.

So, I guess I have to honestly say "Star Wars" (although I do love the new Star Trek reboot)

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
A few months ago I would have said "Both".
However, a few months ago, my wife and I started queuing ST: TNG in our netflix queue. We started with Ep1 on disk 1, and got about halfway through the 2nd season before we gave it up. It just didn't engage us the way Star Wars does. Which is odd, due to the fact that we never missed and episode of TNG when it was on TV.

So, I guess I have to honestly say "Star Wars" (although I do love the new Star Trek reboot)
Keep going. Some of the later seasons are better. With a bit of a lull at the end...

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Star Wars! Enough said.
Lightsabers? Check!
Laser Blasters? Check!
Lightspeed Ships? Check!
Force Powers? Check!
Epic Letifmotifs? Check!
A Sinister blademaster with a badass cape? Check!
(Aaaaargh!!! Troping again this day)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

RedLioness

Well personally I'm a Star Wars person. Our entire family has grown up with it! Hee hee. So here's the big question "Star Wars Or Star Trek?" If you want to put why, that would be super too. (also my favorite dude, and movie is : The forth one (So the first one that came out) and then the Storm Troopers!)

C-3P0 rocks my socks too

Stars Wars hon.

Upvote 0