Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
'Star Wars' Fans Upset 'Rogue One' Has Another Female Lead

rogue-one-female-lead-pic.jpg

It is rather striking to see so many complaints (not just on Twitter), simply because the protagonist is female. The same thing occurred with Mad Max.

Spoilers! Bloody heck, some of us are trying to remain aloof!

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is there actually any significant complaint about this, or is it just a few trolls whining? Let's not conflate a few stupid people on the internet with any sort of significant cultural backlash here.
The only complaint I could see as being validish is that supposedly in Star Wars canon, the plans were stolen by a guy, not a girl. While I swear this was the case, I did a brief look at wookiepedia and I can't seem to find anything that says this.

Even if canonically, it was a guy who was given credit for stealing the plans, maybe he was just the leader of the team, and the main character in this story is just a major player in the events who they are following. Kinda like how the rebel commanders are glossed over in the original trilogy.

ETA: After a little more research, it seems that the expanded universe books present a couple different scenarios for how the plans were stolen. One is that they were stolen from a base by Kyle Kataran. In another book, the rebels captured and altered a bunch of communications equipment and used those to intercept the plans. The original trilogy opening sequence says they were captured during a battle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The only complaint I could see as being validish is that supposedly in Star Wars canon, the plans were stolen by a guy, not a girl. While I swear this was the case, I did a brief look at wookiepedia and I can't seem to find anything that says this.
No no, I mean, how many people are complaining here? Not that we have another case like that Mad Max thing where we took a single nutbag blogger's unhinged rantings and used it to assert that the entire MRA movement is ridiculous for boycotting a movie for having women characters.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

Even if canonically, it was a guy who was given credit for stealing the plans, maybe he was just the leader of the team, and the main character in this story is just a major player in the events who they are following. Kinda like how the rebel commanders are glossed over in the original trilogy.

ETA: After a little more research, it seems that the expanded universe books present a couple different scenarios for how the plans were stolen. One is that they were stolen from a base by Kyle Kataran. In another book, the rebels captured and altered a bunch of communications equipment and used those to intercept the plans. The original trilogy opening sequence says they were captured during a battle.
Disney has gotten rid of the expanded universe's canonicity and those stories are now called "Star Wars Legends", so it's treated more like an alternative universe. So really anything goes, even if it said in a book that it was a guy, it wouldn't matter because only the films and animated series are canon.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Disney has gotten rid of the expanded universe's canonicity and those stories are now called "Star Wars Legends", so it's treated more like an alternative universe. So really anything goes, even if it said in a book that it was a guy, it wouldn't matter because only the films and animated series are canon.
I don't disagree. Just saying that people are going to complain when they do deviate from the existing canon, even if Disney has said they won't abide by it.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...force-awakens-is-not-a-mary-sue/#4df1347ad45b

If we're willing to apply "Mary Sue" to a character with intense internal struggles and clear weaknesses simply for the sake of being slightly overcompetent, then how, exactly, does this not apply to basically any character in the Star Wars canon, and indeed most of fiction?

"slightly overcompetent" is a bit much don't you think?

Never flown a starship, outflies two trained combat pilots in very maneuverable combat ships while she's flying a freighter.

Randomly pulls at the insides of a machines she's never been in before, just happens to open the right doors to help save Han and Chewie.

Knows how to fly Hans ship better than Han.

Untrained in the use of the force yet still able to use it to get guards to do what she wants after thinking about it.

etc etc...

You're right she does remind me of another character in Starwars cannon... Annakin. That's not a compliment, he had the same problems.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Look I'm just glad Disney took control of Star wars and they actually treat it with respect. Lucas always was the worst thing to happen to Star Wars. Also .____.
<3 Ahsoka.
Apparently one of the reasons that ep 4-6 were so good was because back then there were people around Lucas who would actually challenge his ideas. I've got the feeling that for 1-3 he was surrounded with sycophants.

Also... because of Disney we'll never get to see Mara Jade on the big screen which sucks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Apparently one of the reasons that ep 4-6 were so good was because back then there were people around Lucas who would actually challenge his ideas. I've got the feeling that for 1-3 he was surrounded with sycophants.

Also... because of Disney we'll never get to see Mara Jade on the big screen which sucks.
I think it's the reason why the Matrix was good, but the last movies... not so good. But the fight scenes were still great.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think it's the reason why the Matrix was good, but the last movies... not so good. But the fight scenes were still great.

That sounds about right. Would also explain Jupiter Ascending.

Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I really liked Speed Racer. :/
I really wanted to like Jupiter Ascending. It was a completely new ip and I hoped it would be a hit. (not to say I didn't like speed racer, I haven't seen it)

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You mean, Imperial Mary Sue?
Was she a Mary Sue? Of the novels I had read with her in it, she seemed like a decent character. That is... the New Jedi Order novels (that I read like a decade ago) what made her such a Mary Sue?

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I really wanted to like Jupiter Ascending. It was a completely new ip and I hoped it would be a hit. (not to say I didn't like speed racer, I haven't seen it)
Okay, here's a quick acid test on how much you like Speed Racer. Are you 10, and failing that, can you mentally put yourself in the mindset of a 10-year-old while watching a movie? I'm in that mindset like 24/7, so it was a blast for me. :D

Upvote 0