Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
[This didn't post, or I can't find it]

Does anyone have an alternate word for marriage if the US Supreme Court 'captures' it and says it must include same-sex couples? Ie, if they do, those concerned can destroy their "state" marriage certificates and enter into alternative ones validated by other communities, escaping the jurisdiction.

Some alternatives might be:
*to become one flesh (a bit subjective)
*to enter a monial bond. Matrimonial works so long as we are referring to biological mothers, not mothers through adoption. We wouldn't want trans-monial bonds.

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is a legal solution. If I don't believe in SS marriage then I don't want to be under the jurisdiction of an institution that does. I already know many people who don't want to be in legal marriages as heterosexual couples because a family court can pulverize the man (usually), so they have sought out other terms and authorities.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It is a legal solution. If I don't believe in SS marriage then I don't want to be under the jurisdiction of an institution that does. I already know many people who don't want to be in legal marriages as heterosexual couples because a family court can pulverize the man (usually), so they have sought out other terms and authorities.

Well, the biological term for the mating behavior of (most) humans is pair-bonding. So you can just say you have a pair-bond. Not very elegant, but zoologically correct.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone have an alternate word for marriage if the US Supreme Court 'captures' it and says it must include same-sex couples? Ie, if they do, those concerned can destroy their "state" marriage certificates and enter into alternative ones validated by other communities, escaping the jurisdiction.

*to enter a monial bond. Matrimonial works so long as we are referring to biological mothers, not mothers through adoption. We wouldn't want trans-monial bonds.
Huh? It's not like legal marriage currently meets the requirements of religious marriage. They're already two different concepts that use the same term. Opposite-sex couples who marry through the state don't have to promise to obey church marriage requirements, either. You'd think you would be just as worried about sharing the term with an atheist opposite-sex couple who has an open marriage and refuses to have children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It is a legal solution. If I don't believe in SS marriage then I don't want to be under the jurisdiction of an institution that does.

We can have you packed in a day, ready to move to anywhere in the world you'd like that doesn't recognize the terminology.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
[This didn't post, or I can't find it]

"Heteros for a more hateful tomorrow"?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Regardless on what the court decides, it will not change or affect my marriage and I see no need rename my marriage to something else.

No, you have to. Once them thar gays get married your marriage won't be special anymore. You'll have to get, like, super married now. It's like normal marriage but not as gay.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No, you have to. Once them thar gays get married your marriage won't be special anymore. You'll have to get, like, super married now. It's like normal marriage but not as gay.

-CryptoLutheran

It would seem that rights are things that some people think are only valuable not just if they have them, but if other people don't.

To which I ask: If other people getting married somehow lessens the value or meaning of your own marriage, why did you get married in the first place?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran

There already is a special word for Jewish marriage; the closest thing in English would be “Hell”. We just can’t run off to the drive thru chapel in Las Vegas and get married only to get a divorce six hours later like ya’ll Christians can. There is a big long contract that tells me what I have to do and is essentially indentured servitude. I knew I should have paid more attention in Aramaic class.

I jest with the above post. I’m happy, really I am. Honest. For reals.

Reactions: lunastella
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
re Via Crucis #12
It is not hate. It allows SS couples to use the word marry. But that act "hates" or violates MF marriage, and so another word is sought. If it was an act of hate, it would be out prosecuting SS couples for trying. The use of another term is to protect a belief which SS couples do not think is sacred, and are embarrassed to think that it is.

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
re not wanting 'trans-monial'
The reason MF marriage protectors would not want that term is the same as not wanting transgender practices. So long as matrimonial means a biological mother (and does not mean an adoptive mother in a SS marriage) we have the answer.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The use of another term is to protect a belief which SS couples do not think is sacred, and are embarrassed to think that it is.
Hm, what? I'd say that most of them think that marriage is sacred. That's why they're fighting so hard for the opportunity to marry. They're no different from you. Many are Christian.

Upvote 0

CQmethodist

Oct 16, 2014
✟24,779.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
re Via Crucis #12
It is not hate. It allows SS couples to use the word marry. But that act "hates" or violates MF marriage, and so another word is sought. If it was an act of hate, it would be out prosecuting SS couples for trying. The use of another term is to protect a belief which SS couples do not think is sacred, and are embarrassed to think that it is.

My marriage isn't an act of "hate" against mixed-sex couples' marriages, and I absolutely do think marriage is "sacred."

Upvote 0