karen_trustlord

May 7, 2004
✟1,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Oct 4,2006
Stand in His Rest

Jeremiah 6:16
This is what the LORD says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls."

Ephesians 6:10-13
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Notice these two verses, the idea of standing in His rest. This was interesting to me, usually when I thought of rest before it was in terms of being inactive - I associated this with laying down or sleeping. In these verses finding His rest seems to be an active process.

-- stand and look for the 'good way'
-- ask, actively seek
-- find and then walk in it

-- be strong in the Lord and His power
-- put on the full armor
-- actively prepare
-- after preparation, simply stand
-- stand in the Lord's strength & power

To stand like this, to stand in His rest in the face battle, you need a deep trust in the Lord. Trusting with all your heart in His sovereignty, His love and that He uses everything for His good purposes; this is the secret of standing in His rest.

Psalm 95:7-11
For He is our God, And we are the people of His pasture, And the sheep of His hand. Today, if you will hear His voice: “Do not harden your hearts, as in the rebellion, As in the day of trial in the wilderness, When your fathers tested Me; They tried Me, though they saw My work. For forty years I was grieved with that generation, And said, ‘It is a people who go astray in their hearts, And they do not know My ways.’ So I swore in My wrath, ‘They shall not enter My rest.’ ”

Isaiah 26:3-4
You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.

Lord, continue to deepen our trust in You, in Your sovereignty, in Your love. Show us how to actively prepare our hearts, how to put on the full armor of God. Show us how to stand in Your rest, in Your perfect peace in the face of battle. Let Your peace shine, illuminating the 'good way', that souls may enter your glorious rest.

Isaiah 11:10
And it shall be in that day that the Root of Jesse shall stand as a signal for the peoples; of Him shall the nations inquire and seek knowledge, and His dwelling shall be glory [His rest glorious]!