St. Nicholas national Shrine NYC, interfaith center?

N

Nik0s

As you may or may not know, when St. Nicholas is completed there will be a room upstairs "for all faiths" for private "quiet reflection." I for one cannot say that I agree with this. It should be an Orthodox temple, for Orthodox worship
What is the interfaith component of Saint Nicholas National Shrine?

As a witness to the boundless Love of God, which triumphs over violence and hatred, a special, interfaith and non-sectarian space has been dedicated for peaceful reflection and meditation to be used by people of all faiths and beliefs. The entire structure, including the nave, bereavement space (2nd floor) and social hall (3rd floor) will have programs of remembrance designed specifically for the surviving family members, inter-religious educational programs, cultural events and an integrated synergistic overall program of activities, exhibitions, etc. that are commensurate with the dignity and solemnity of the site. The inclusivity of the bereavement space within the structure that houses a particular house of worship signals the American democratic and religious ideal that the practice of one's own beliefs in no way hinders the beliefs of another. In fact, quite the opposite, it welcomes the belief of another. Thus the bereavement space is non-denominational and truly interfaith.
FAQs - St. Nicholas National Shrine

I do not like this AT ALL. Of course all are welcome to "come and see" the Orthodox Church, but having heterodox and non-Christian "inter-faith" events in an Orthodox Church!? It smells like a bad decision. Thoughts?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well, provided it's merely dialoguing in an Orthodox context I think that is fine. that could actually be a good hook into Orthodoxy if used correctly. if, however, we allow heterodox or pagan prayers and services....

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

well, provided it's merely dialoguing in an Orthodox context I think that is fine. that could actually be a good hook into Orthodoxy if used correctly. if, however, we allow heterodox or pagan prayers and services....
I'm afraid of that exact thing happening Matt. I don't want to see Buddha statues and a mihrab in an Orthodox Church, no matter how "Nice" the sentiment is.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There's no need for it other than for some uber-PC bureaucrat who's a recent college graduate with no real-world experience to feel good about himself for coming up with it.

Besides, I remember the various articles I've encountered about the parish before 9/11 saying that ALL people were already welcomed to come in and sit down for a moment of peace from the chaos outside without being proselytized from the parishioners.
Simply another time that Orthodoxy has some idea imposed upon it due to the bigotry of Protestantism.

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

There's no need for it other than for some uber-PC bureaucrat who's a recent college graduate with no real-world experience to feel good about himself for coming up with it.

Besides, I remember the various articles I've encountered about the parish before 9/11 saying that ALL people were already welcomed to come in and sit down for a moment of peace from the chaos outside without being proselytized from the parishioners.
Simply another time that Orthodoxy has some idea imposed upon it due to the bigotry of Protestantism.
You are correct, St. Nicholas was a haven to all before the attacks without having any happy clappy "interfaith" center. Is the Church going to be prohibited from ringing their bells next because it might offend someone?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums