lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The point is that St. Jospeh's is a Catholic hospital and they "banned" (I have not validated the accuracy of this story) Christian gift giving. If a patient goes into a Catholic hospital, run by Catholic nuns, he/she should very well expect that they are going to be exposed to some Catholic/Christian stuff, especially around Christmas.

It isn't a Catholic hospital any more it belongs to the baptists now.

When people register into a hospitla they are required to mark what religion they belong to as part of the registration process. Why not give Christian gifts to those that are Christians. Some of them are no doubt marginally christians or are longer practicing christians. Giving them gifts may be a good way to get them back inot praciticing their faith.

Peace

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The website says the facility is a "community health alliance that brings together St. Joseph's Hospital, St. Joseph's Women's Hospital and St. Joseph's Children's Hospital in Tampa, and South Florida Baptist Hospital" and Franciscan Sisters opened it in 1988.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,945.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If I were in a Muslim funded hospital during a Muslim holiday in which gift giving were a major theme I really think you'd have to be an idiot if you were offended that someone offered you a Koran or Islamic themed item. If I were in a Jewish hospitial at this time of year I'd expect to see a Menorah or two, and it would hardly be the end of the world if someone offered me a draddle. If religion upsets you so then go to a state run GH or other non-religious private hospital.
Have you ever heard of HMO's? If the Catholic hospital is the one affiliated with your HMO, it's "go there or go bankrupt."

I agree with the sisters. Sick children, especially, should be treated with cultural sensitivity, because the atmosphere surrounding them is so crucial to their recovery.

Where we live, unless a patient makes note of his religion upon admission, chaplains are not allowed to visit him.

And the little top children spin at Hanukkah is called a "dreidl," not a "draddle."

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
If religion upsets you so then go to a state run GH or other non-religious private hospital.
I've seen this attitude used again and again, no matter if the subject is religion, politics, or what have you. It's rough translation is, "If you don't like it, you can go to hell." For instance, if person A makes a statement, interpreting American legislation differently from person B, person B says, "If you don't like it, you're welcome to go live in another country." This is nothing personal. I've just seen it over and over again, and I'm tired of it. It's a repugnant argument technique that infuriates the opponent and empowers the speaker. It's self-aggrandizing vitriol.

Upvote 0

ZuZu

Contributor
Dec 16, 2005
✟20,781.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I've seen this attitude used again and again, no matter if the subject is religion, politics, or what have you. It's rough translation is, "If you don't like it, you can go to hell." For instance, if person A makes a statement, interpreting American legislation differently from person B, person B says, "If you don't like it, you're welcome to go live in another country." This is nothing personal. I've just seen it over and over again, and I'm tired of it. It's a repugnant argument technique that infuriates the opponent and empowers the speaker. It's self-aggrandizing vitriol.
:amen: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I've heard the attitude again and again too and I agree with you! It solves no problems (doesn't even make a pretense at understanding) and IMO it just plain isn't fair!

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The hospital shocks a Catholic school group that arrives with presents for patients.

St. Petersburg Times
By SHERRI DAY
Dec 21, 2006

TAMPA - They wanted to make Christmas bright for patients at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital.

But, quite by accident, a group of parents, teachers and nuns from Villa Madonna Catholic School stepped into the Christmas wars. Improbably, their opponent was St. Joseph's Children's Hospital, which has its roots in the Catholic Church.

At issue: whether the group could distribute religious-themed gifts to patients.

During a Dec. 11 visit, the hospital staff assessed the group's offerings and quickly made some decisions. Ornaments that read "Joy to the World" and "Peace on Earth" were in. Nativity lapel pins, ornaments bearing a "Merry Christmas" message and Jesus-themed T-shirts were out. They could be given to patients only with parental consent .

"Yes, we were founded by Catholic sisters, but we serve everybody in our community," said Sister Pat Shirley, a Franciscan nun and the hospital's vice president of missions . . .

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/12/21/Hillsborough/St_Joseph_s_bans_reli.shtml

It's not surprising. Soon it will be illegal to have Authentic Catholic teaching in church. In some countries, Catholic Teaching is being prosecuted as hate speach.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's not surprising. Soon it will be illegal to have Authentic Catholic teaching in church. In some countries, Catholic Teaching is being prosecuted as hate speach.

A 20th and 21th century version of Otto Von Bismarck's KulturKampf. Priests who discussed politics from the pulpit received two years in prison under the Kanzelparagraph in the German Criminal code.

But the repression had a bright spot. The reaction strenghtened the church. A truce was agreed upon. Commenting upon what had happened Vladimir Lenin, in "The Attitude of the Workers' Party to Religion", warned his fellow atheists that, to eradicate Christainity, they should not ape the policies of the Second Reich as they were not effective in the long run.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A 20th and 21th century version of Otto Von Bismarck's KulturKampf. Priests who discussed politics from the pulpit received two years in prison under the Kanzelparagraph in the German Criminal code.

But the repression had a bright spot. The reaction strenghtened the church. A truce was agreed upon. Commenting upon what had happened Vladimir Lenin, in "The Attitude of the Workers' Party to Religion", warned his fellow atheists that, to eradicate Christainity, they should not ape the policies of the Second Reich as they were not effective in the long run.
Christianity is stregthened with persecution. I have no idea why Christians try to legally eradicate it. Christ never said that bearing the cross would be easy. Persecution brings out the best in a Christian, and draws fence sitters to our cause.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.