St. Euphrosynos Taverna and Ouzeri 44 (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
*cheers the new taverna*

*puts a pot of coffee on, and baklava on the table for those who want it...and bougatsa and galaktoboureko and a few other different kinds of glyka for those who don't mind baklava but know there are better Greek sweets out there* ;)

It's almost 1am. I had a massive fight with my embroidery frame (like a very big, square hoop with pieces that snap over the sides to keep it taut) tonight and it took me about 2 hours to get the Greek piece back on it! I kid you not. DO NOT LIKE. But it's on there and I've started the next scene, which is the 'Palace' at Knossos :) I stitched for an hour once I got it there just to spite the stupid thing, and have half-done a scrollwork-y column. This illness gives me odd insomnia anyway so I don't mind staying up late. My hands ache from stitching in the cold now though, silly Kyri :)

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,094.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
ooooooooh pastries :D :D

Kyriaki - you are cruel mentioning those :( I've not had any Baklava in ages and I was never terribly fond of kataifi when I tried that. Snag is that I've never had any what you could call 'authentic' greek goodies :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 28, 2011
Chicagoland, Illinois
✟8,077.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
galaktoboureko...a rather redneck patron at our Greekfest here in TX referred to them as "Galactic Burritos"!!!

OPAH!!!
My mom made some galaktobootycall the other day for a wedding, and there's still some left over! I'm off to go eat some. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2011
Chicagoland, Illinois
✟8,077.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

My top three desserts of all-time are:
Galaktoboureko (A sweet custard wrapped in layers of phyllo dough and a honey-syrup poured on top)
Loukoumades (little "doughnuts" fried in oil and very soft/airy on the inside drenched in a honey-syrup and topped with cinnamon.)
Apple pie (om nom nom)

Then come ekmek (shredded phyllo dough with walnuts and honey-syrup topped with a thick, sweet cream) and baklava (walnuts wrapped inside of layered phyllo dough and drenched in honey-syrup.

My top two cookies are kourampiedes (dry cookies lots o' butter and coated in powdered sugar) and melomakarona (cookies dipped in a honey-syrup and topped with walnuts) respectively.

As you can see, we, and I, love our honey. All of those desserts are a nice follow-up to some lamb, pork chops or souvlaki. As for booze, I prefer Scotch.

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You eat dessert right after dinner? I've never known Greeks to do that, they always eat the sweets as supper or about an hour after lunch.

Galaktoboureko is just plain awesome. Ekmek is pretty good too. My MIL made loukoumades on Sunday and we sat there happily eating them and eating way too much sugar in the process but yummmm...

...and then Andrew and I made a chocolate souffle cake that night, for something entirely not Greek.

Question for the Greeks - what do you call cheesecake? Andrew and I joke that it's τυρό-κέκη, but I'm guessing that's wrong :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.