St Andrews cross inappropriate or not for a Catholic?

A

aChildOfMary

For some time I've been thinking of buying a necklace with a cross of some sort and after some consideration I've found out that the one I think is the prettiest and closest to my taste is the St Andrew cross.

This is of course an Orthodox cross so I would like to ask you guys here at TAW about how you would look at a person wearing it?
Will I cause any form of scandal when I wear it and people may ask and I say that I'm Catholic?

Of course there are the opportunity that I over analysing this as it just a cross, but I first and foremost won't come of as cheesy or anything.

Lastly could you guys please direct me to an serious and not overly expensive online store?
I'm looking for either Silver or Gold btw.

Thanks in advance for any feedbacks I may receive:)

Pax Christi
aChildOfMary

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
By this you mean the Russian three-bar cross with the slanted lower piece, right? A westerner would think you mean an X-cross. I'm sure it's possible for a Catholic to wear one, but it's almost exclusively worn by Orthodox and, if I saw one, I would presume it is an Orthodox Christian. I mean, Eastern Rite Catholics of the Russian tradition that I have known typically have a straight lower bar, and the difference is how you tell what kind of church you're at.

Upvote 0
A

aChildOfMary

By this you mean the Russian three-bar cross with the slanted lower piece, right? A westerner would think you mean an X-cross. I'm sure it's possible for a Catholic to wear one, but it's almost exclusively worn by Orthodox and, if I saw one, I would presume it is an Orthodox Christian. I mean, Eastern Rite Catholics of the Russian tradition that I have known typically have a straight lower bar, and the difference is how you tell what kind of church you're at.

It's the one your talking about, the Russian one yes.

I don't think it would cause a scandal. I know of an abbess who wears a Celtic cross, which is normally an Irish Roman Catholic thing.

Thanks, good to know that others does the same:)

I have one, so I doubt it would cause you any scandal. To me a cross should be worn under the clothes, simply so as not become a fashion object...like these blinged up crosses secular people wear. ^_^

Og yes the gigantic crosses worned by the gangsta's, I promiss that I'll never do that.
I hate how the seculars have taken the cross purposely out of context and made it a cheap bling.
Also since it's worn inside of my shirt it won't matter to much what others may think about my cross:)

Thanks for answers folks.
Also do you have any firsthand experiences with any decent online stores?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums