Spiritual/Religious Abuse

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have some questions concerning spiritual/religious abuse among the Christian clergy.

How do you help people who have been spiritually abused by some Christian cultic clergyman or -woman and therefore become very anti-Christian and wants to see the end of Christianity as soon as possible? How do you preach the gospel to these folks?

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have some questions concerning spiritual/religious abuse among the Christian clergy.

How do you help people who have been spiritually abused by some Christian cultic clergyman or -woman and therefore become very anti-Christian and wants to see the end of Christianity as soon as possible? How do you preach the gospel to these folks?

If they have been close enough to be abused by 'clergy' then they have no need to hear the gospel as it has been taught to them.

If however they wish to move past their anger and hate, then moving forward will have to be done on a case by case basis. If they wish to simply be angery then they have that right.

It is like dealing with anyone else with a great trauma. Nothing can truly be done to help that person unless that person seeks help for themselves.

Upvote 0

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First, I'd confirm that what they experienced was evil on multiple levels.

Then I'd love them. Maybe over time, God would grant them the ability to see the difference between evil done by evil people and the grace found in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

The damage done by spiritual abuse is very deep because of the vulnerability of the victim. Some experts say that the symptoms of the victim of spiritual abuse are point by point the same as a victim of incest. Each is a case of a trusted caregiver violating that trust in one of the most intimate parts of our human nature.

In Matthew 18:6 Jesus said, "But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

It is so important for the victim to know the truth about what happened to him. Just knowing the injury has a name and identifying traits, can be liberating.

John 8:32
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

He needs to know it's okay to express his anger, grief, hurt, and loss, and he needs time to reconcile his emotions with reality. A caring heart, a quiet mouth and a listening ear are important resources.

It's important to know that he is not alone; that many others have experienced what he is going through.

One of the most healing experiences comes when he is finally able to give help to others out of his own experience.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Given what people at my church who had that background have said, it is a long process. God works in their lives sometimes for years before they even want to come to a church again. Through believers being faithful to love them, they eventually decide that not all Christians and churches are all that bad, then they come, they find that it is a safe environment (this can be months or years), and then they become Christians.

To put it more succinctly, it is God who does the heavy lifting, since people cannot do all this work. Our job is to faithfully be Christlike to them, praying for them consistently.

Upvote 0