Spiritual but not religious......like Satan?

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Feel free to answer the question based on your own understanding of the terms "spiritual" and "religious" (cuz God knows there are different definitions of those words on this forum
rolleyes.gif
). So based on your understanding, answer the question:

Is Satan spiritual but not religious?

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Satan seems to fit with what is diabolical,chaotic or slanderous. For example, see the movies [the Exorcist] -or- [the Exorcism of Emily Rose] and some horror movies will give hints and clues as to the nature of this mythical figure.

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Feel free to answer the question based on your own understanding of the terms "spiritual" and "religious" (cuz God knows there are different definitions of those words on this forum
rolleyes.gif

If you're talking about Satan being spiritual in the sense that he is of spiritual substance, then yes.

If you're talking about "spiritual" in the sense that a person has spirituality, then no.

Upvote 0

sungaunga

Jul 10, 2009
✟27,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hmm, I guess you can call the pharisees being extremely religious as well as all the myriad different false religions in the world and the people who are engaged in it with strong determination. As the person above me mentioned, satan is a spiritual being but has nothing to do with the way we worship God, that which is in the spirit.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think of "religious" as meaning that one is a devotee of some religion, accepting of its doctrines, etc.

"Spiritual" has come to mean that a person has some ideas about a higher power in the universe or that there is something beyond the grave, but nothing that is easily labelled, described, or even very well thojght out.

If you put Satan into the middle of this, I guess I'd agree with much of what Dark Lite said. He is obviously a spirit but motivated soley by self-interest.

Upvote 0

BRISH

Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
rolleyes.gif

*blind post*

First of all, religion to me means all the different doctrines and each having its own title and spiritual means the act of following those beliefs.

So from that view is how I will explain just my personal take on this.

No, I do not believe Satan is spiritual. He was an angel and had the knowledge. I don't think his dissent means that his memory was erased.

Does he follow or practice what he knows? Is he spiritual?
No, he goes against everything he originally knew.

My cartoonistic view of him is that he is a mad immature individual who is lashing out at everything and everyone he can because of his punishment. He knows the ending; therefore, he attacks with the mentality "I have nothing to lose".

He is not to be taken lightly because he DOES know the scriptures proven by how he knows how to tempt and attack.

He's beaten, and he knows that. We have to keep ourselves shielded for that reason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
rolleyes.gif

Yes, this question could be taken many different ways.

God's Word tells us there are good and evil spirits, thus the instruction to test the spirit to see if it is from God.

"Religion" can also mean many things, including some horribly bad things like satanic worship and other false religions.

Ephesians 6:12 (KJV) 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].

The devil and other powers of darkness are real - just as real as the other end of the spectrum - Jesus Christ and LIGHT. As Children of God, our most severe battles are Spiritual in this short life. The devil tempts us, wants to weaken us, wants to destroy our living Testimony for Christ, and everything he can to cause us to live defeated lives. Before we are saved there is also a spiritual battle.

A battle does rage between good and evil, and it's been raging since before mankind was created. I feel quite certain that it's a warfare beyond human comprehension. At the end, we know that Jesus Christ will win all the battles, crush evil, and reserve it for final judgment to the Eternal Fires of Hell.

Good News! -- The Holy Bible is the WORD OF GOD! -- God The Father, God The Son, God The Holy Spirit - The Creator Of All Things! -- "GOD'S GRACE" and "OUR WORKS" -- Thanksgiving Proclamations ( 1623 to 1863 ) -- Thanksgiving Proclamations ( 1961 to 2001 ) -- JESUS CHRIST - VERY GOD - LORD - SAVIOUR - MESSIAH - KING

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If you're talking about Satan being spiritual in the sense that he is of spiritual substance, then yes.

If you're talking about "spiritual" in the sense that a person has spirituality, then no.

Exactly .

Satan is not spiritual in the Christian sense as Christians use the term to indicate being tuned into and listening to the Lord .

And , Satan may not be religious but loves religion because he uses it to keep people's eyes off the Lord and on their religion and everything about it including human leaders , special writings , repeated rituals that must be observed , and their own special laws outside of those rituals .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I take the phrase the way I hear from Hollywood stars who are "spiritual but not religious." By it, I think they mean they don't adhere to any particular faith, but they believe there is something "beyond" this world, things supernatural---a PC comment that tries not to offend anyone while justifying their lifestyle all at once!

Satan is spiritual in the same sense. He believes in the supernatural world, and even in God. But he submits to no one's teaching but his own. He has no morality to follow---just whatever it takes to draw God's children into his lair.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear MrPolo. If you mean spiritual i.e. a spirit, then Yes, Satan is spirit. But Satan is the adversary of God, and we know that God is LOVE. Love is something completely unknown, unwanted, and abhorrent to Satan. If there is some religion without love or compassion, I am willing to believe that Satan could belong there, but I do not know about such an order. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

catzrfluffy

i come bearing .gifs
Sep 4, 2009
palisades park
✟22,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Going by the biblical definition of religious:

"If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (James 1:26-27)

Satan is certainly not religious, the opposite of that, in fact.

By spiritual, he is a spirit, or an angel, yes.

If you meant the usual worldy definitions of these terms, then I think he knows the truth, and what the truth is, and so do the other devils, but he deceives everyone under his power (the world) regarding it.

On another note, when people say they are spiritual but not religious, as in spiritual but not holding to a particular religion, or not being like the rest of the members of their religion? I think perhaps that comes more from an aversion to the word religion and its connotations, rather than a true understanding of what religion is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We live in a day of political correctness and distortion of words and definitions. As an example, men consider satan worship to be a religion. Men have devised countless tags and labels that add to the confusion. Satan is the author of confusion - not God.

I give thanks there is simplicity in Christ, and I think of this portion of Scripture:

1 Corinthians 2:1-5 (KJV) 1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching [was] not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Good News! -- The Holy Bible is the WORD OF GOD! -- God The Father, God The Son, God The Holy Spirit - The Creator Of All Things! -- "GOD'S GRACE" and "OUR WORKS" -- Thanksgiving Proclamations ( 1623 to 1863 ) -- Thanksgiving Proclamations ( 1961 to 2001 ) -- JESUS CHRIST - VERY GOD - LORD - SAVIOUR - MESSIAH - KING

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

I mean, I can understand people being spiritual in a overall religious context when they don't follow a specific religion, it almost reminds me of Pantheism in fact but when I hear Christians use that phrase at ME I feel like I am being sold a specific brand of evangelical Christianity that I am not interested in buying.

Upvote 0