Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,085.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
At a similar point in his presidency, George W. Bush had already taken 250 vacation days (compared to Obama's 84...)

And so even if Bush's "vacations" only cost 1/3 as much, he still would have spent more than President Obama....

I guess you're all happy Santorum wasn't elected (I sure am....) Imagine how much Secret Service protection would be needed for a family of nine.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
At a similar point in his presidency, George W. Bush had already taken 250 vacation days (compared to Obama's 84...)

How about actually counting the days and cost? Bush's one or two days at a time at home or at Camp David compared with Obama's million dollar month odd vacations where he has to rent a home--several times to Martha's Vineyard and several times to Hawaii. Just this last Hawaiian vacation cost the taxpayers 4 million before he decided to fly back to do nothing for fiscal cliff negotiations and added another 3 million.

And don't forget the Obama is forever on the golf course. When the country was suffering Bush simply managed to forgo the expensive hobby (my step-father was an avid golfer so I know it's expensive) but not Obama. :confused: Strange since one of Obama's heros was FDR and FDR's wife said that they were to be examples for the country and if the country is suffering, they weren't to "flaunt" their wealth.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ob.../2013/01/04/id/470102?s=al&promo_code=11788-1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,085.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Just this last Hawaiian vacation cost the taxpayers 4 million before he decided to fly back to do nothing for fiscal cliff negotiations and added another 3 million.

Aww, shucks....if only those ornery Republicans in the House of Representatives had passed that bill raising taxes on people with million dollar incomes instead of being forced into a compromise at the 11th hour that raised taxes on people with incomes of $450K and up...

If they hadn't have hemmed and hawed, we could have saved the $3 million for that second flight back to Washington....

And the House Republicans would have saved big bucks for some of their fat cat friends, far more than $3 million, I'm sure...

Oh, well, it was all for the best, after all.

Thanks, recalcitrant Republicans. You did our country a favor.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Aww, shucks....if only those ornery Republicans in the House of Representatives had passed that bill raising taxes on people with million dollar incomes instead of being forced into a compromise at the 11th hour that raised taxes on people with incomes of $450K and up...

If they hadn't have hemmed and hawed, we could have saved the $3 million for that second flight back to Washington....

And the House Republicans would have saved big bucks for some of their fat cat friends, far more than $3 million, I'm sure...

Oh, well, it was all for the best, after all.

Thanks, recalcitrant Republicans. You did our country a favor.

I know it must have escaped your attention, but the "fiscal cliff" was known about some time ago and could have been take care of before the last minute theatrics. The House had already passed bills addressing sequestration earlier last year and the ones addressing the "fiscal cliff" back in September. All Reid had to do was put one of the bills on the table instead of sitting on it. It wasn't the Repubs at all--the Dems have been holding things up. (Just like they have not doing their Constitutional duty in passing a budget every year. Passing a budget is just plain common sense but somehow that's been lost on the Dems.)

Yes, IMO the "fiscal cliff" was "made up". Obama didn't want to discuss just about *anything* while he was campaigning. (It was almost like he was "absent without leave." He couldn't even be bothered with national security like the BenGhazi scandal presented.) And as the election got closer, Obama simply wanted to cpncentrate on that and not on the looming fiscal cliff.

Obama knew that an agreement had not been reached when he jetted off to Hawaii. but he went anyway. Then, although he had Biden deal with the talks, he decided to make a big show of flying back (to actually do nothing). Then as soon as he made his "spike the football" speech, he jetted back off to Hawaii--didn't even personally sign the bill into law, but used an autopen while he returned for his "romantic" meeting with the FirstLady. Talk about theater!

No, you can't blame the Repubs for this! It falls squarely on the shoulders of the Dems and Obama. The Repubs have eaten enough crow trying to protect the people from raising taxes and the economy from further tanking.

BTW how's your paycheck? Hear that just about everyone will be losing about 2% extra from a tax cut on about 80% of the people that wasn't even discussed. That's in addition to the extra taxes that the theatrics of the "fiscal cliff" and those of ObamaTAX. And let's see, we still have the debt ceiling and sequestration to go.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,085.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The "fiscal cliff" came about because it took so long for the 2010 Congress to address the debt ceiling, and they finally agreed to a temporary fix instead of permanent spending cuts AND revenue increases--but it contained a kicker--"Act like grownups, or there will be automatic spending cuts" on January 1, 2013. That, combined with the expiration of the Bush tax cuts on everyone, was expected to throw the country back into recession.

And still they didn't act like grownups.

Because they were so afraid of the big, bad Grover Norquist, they had to delay a real vote until the Bush tax cuts did expire, so that THEY weren't raising taxes on the rich (don't hear Grover Norquist shedding any tears over the end of the temporary payroll tax cut--which affected everyone).

And now Grover Norquist is threatening every Republican who voted yes on the fiscal cliff bill with a primary challenge. I pray that those Republicans who voted like patriots will be affirmed in their primaries--but if they're replaced by some ideologues, we'll have a Democratic Congress for sure in 2014.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The "fiscal cliff" came about because it took so long for the 2010 Congress to address the debt ceiling, and they finally agreed to a temporary fix instead of permanent spending cuts AND revenue increases--but it contained a kicker--"Act like grownups, or there will be automatic spending cuts" on January 1, 2013. That, combined with the expiration of the Bush tax cuts on everyone, was expected to throw the country back into recession.

And still they didn't act like grownups.

Because they were so afraid of the big, bad Grover Norquist, they had to delay a real vote until the Bush tax cuts did expire, so that THEY weren't raising taxes on the rich (don't hear Grover Norquist shedding any tears over the end of the temporary payroll tax cut--which affected everyone).

And now Grover Norquist is threatening every Republican who voted yes on the fiscal cliff bill with a primary challenge. I pray that those Republicans who voted like patriots will be affirmed in their primaries--but if they're replaced by some ideologues, we'll have a Democratic Congress for sure in 2014.

Uh-huh. I guess Dems really do believe that if they say something often enough, folks will believe--whether or not any of it is true.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And frankly, I agree that some of the Repubs didn't act like "grown-ups". "Grown-ups" don't lie. Some of those Repubs took a pledge that they would not raise taxes on their constituents. (It was because of that pledge that they got elected.) IMO they should have stuck to their pledge--even pulled an "Obama" and simply vote "present" if the House wasn't able to protect the people (Senator Rand Paul even suggested that!) Oh well, the Repubs at least tried to protect the people and soften the blow for you guys.

However, Obama wanted to raise taxes (you think he thought just on the successful? ^_^ He specifically never defined "fair share" and now taxes are raised on fully 77% of you! Heck when Boehner offered *exactly* what Obama wanted in July 2011, Obama said that wasn't good enough and now he wants more--then he had Carney go out and say that Boehner's offering was "fairy dust". Made me believe that Boehner was right when he complained that Obama keeps "moving the goal posts")

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Whenever im at OBOB, I become convinced your country is going to expire in the next 100 years.

A) Can I crash on your couch for a while? Got room for my wife and gaggle of children too?

B) Please don't let yourself be convinced that WA, AMDG or Fantine are typical Americans or that their method of processing "facts" is typical of Americans.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
A) Can I crash on your couch for a while? Got room for my wife and gaggle of children too?

B) Please don't let yourself be convinced that WA, AMDG or Fantine are typical Americans or that their method of processing "facts" is typical of Americans.

If things go sideways down there, you are all welcome to crash, though I have no couch. I wouldnt be willing to guarantee that there will not end up with some kind of armed conflict with the US though.

Im sure it isnt typical, but it does seem to be symptomatic of a particular political problem.

(Please excuse my lack of apostrophes, Im having an issue with mine that I do not know how to fix.)

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟64,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Truth.

Heard Obama throws tantrums when he isnt getting his way.
Um - let me think really freaking hard here - who else threw tantrums?
:scratch:

Name begins with H ends with R.
But shhhhh cant be comparing apples to apples.

*********** NAZI RULE *********
(Thought that you were being subtle enough to get by, didn't you ?)

AUTOMATIC LOSS OF ARGUMENT

and

EVERYBODY DRINK !!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums