Spend a little time, and a little cash, at Hobby Lobby this Saturday...

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've been against easy imports all along. But, the way politicians are owned by businessmen (who go overseas to get cheap labor), I doubt anything will ever be done about imports.
Craft products seem to be mostly Chinese made, but sometimes if you look around you can find stuff. But, it's not easy.

That's why I'm a bit troubled by all this celebration of Hobby Lobby. To me it's like they are championing the American unborn at the expense of the Chinese unborn. What impact would it have if large companies like Hobby Lobby stopped buying Chinese products until they stopped their one child policy, stopped providing abortions (and some say forcing abortions), and stated treating their employees better?

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's why I'm a bit troubled by all this celebration of Hobby Lobby. To me it's like they are championing the American unborn at the expense of the Chinese unborn. What impact would it have if large companies like Hobby Lobby stopped buying Chinese products until they stopped their one child policy, stopped providing abortions (and some say forcing abortions), and stated treating their employees better?
I think people see it as doing what you can where they are & going from there. I don't think anyone is going to eradicate anything in one fell swoop. Baby steps.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I think people see it as doing what you can where they are & going from there. I don't think anyone is going to eradicate anything in one fell swoop. Baby steps.

Yeah, cuz the alternative is that what's happening in China could happen here too. Hopefully, we'll stop Obamacare here and maybe we can do something about overseas imports next. (That would be my hope anyway.)

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, cuz the alternative is that what's happening in China could happen here too. Hopefully, we'll stop Obamacare here and maybe we can do something about overseas imports next. (That would be my hope anyway.)
People expect instant results or votes to make the bad things go away. So we sit on our duffs & play armchair quarterbacks & do nothing.

When in reality it really lies within the people's hands. Lead by sending a message & the politicians usually follow.

Everyone has to do their little bit everyday even if the situation is not ideal.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Indeed - most companies do get imports from China. Sadly.
But for the purpose of not wanting to follow that HHS mandate - which is in fact Unconstitutional... i will try my best to go there.

If we refuse to comply, we could face $1.3 million PER DAY in government fines. Our government threatens to fine job creators in a bad economy. Our government threatens to fine a company that’s raised wages four years running. Our government threatens to fine a family for running its business according to its beliefs. It’s not right. I know people will say we ought to follow the rules; that it’s the same for everybody. But that’s not true. The government has exempted thousands of companies from this mandate, for reasons of convenience or cost. But it won’t exempt them for reasons of religious belief.
So, Hobby Lobby and my family are forced to make a choice. With great reluctance, we filed a lawsuit today, represented by the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, asking a federal court to stop this mandate before it hurts our business. We don’t like to go running into court, but we no longer have a choice. We believe people are more important than the bottom line and that honoring God is more important than turning a profit.

A Letter from Hobby Lobby Stores CEO – for Freedom of Religion | Independent Sentinel

I loathe this immoral take over [soon be dictatorship].

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
People expect instant results or votes to make the bad things go away. So we sit on our duffs & play armchair quarterbacks & do nothing.

When in reality it really lies within the people's hands. Lead by sending a message & the politicians usually follow.

Everyone has to do their little bit everyday even if the situation is not ideal.

Yeah....US government was supposed to be for the people and by the people.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah....US government was supposed to be for the people and by the people.
I think government has gotten a little confused in its role as well as the people.

The doe eyed admiration for any political party by a citizen is scary.

Give credit where credit is due but nobody should turn them into their idol where politics trump all else.

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
081610-003-hobbylobbynotice.jpg

I refuse to do business with a company that would assume that, because I have entered their premises as a customer, they have the right to search my person, my belongings and my automobile.

I would not allow the authorities to conduct such a search with out a warrant.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
081610-003-hobbylobbynotice.jpg

I refuse to do business with a company that would assume that, because I have entered their premises as a customer, they have the right to search my person, my belongings and my automobile.

I would not allow the authorities to conduct such a search with out a warrant.
I've never seen such a sign at any of their stores.

What is the context here?

Link?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's their property, their choice. I guess they know they might lose some business. That sign doesn't say what the business is.
It looks to me to be something directed at employees. If that is the case, every business does it.

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's their property, their choice. I guess they know they might lose some business. That sign doesn't say what the business is.

That sign is on the front door of the Hobby Lobby store a few blocks from where I live. I agree that it is their property and their choice, and by posting that they have lost any chance at my business.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That sign is on the front door of the Hobby Lobby store a few blocks from where I live. I agree that it is their property and their choice, and by posting that they have lost any chance at my business.
I'm going to Google this....

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've never seen such a sign at any of their stores.

What is the context here?

Link?

Bad store policy - Hobby Lobby... - Rants, Raves, and Praise | DSLReports Forums

http://consumerist.com/2010/08/16/this-hobby-lobby-reserves-the-right-to-search-your-car/

http://hobby-lobby.[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]edconsumer.com/no-civil-rights-at-hobby-lobby-20110928264886.html

http://milescity.com/forums/posts/view/197926/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monica02

Senior Veteran
Aug 17, 2004
✟3,547.00
Faith
Catholic
Supporting China with your cash....is that really pro life?

I shop at Hobby Lobby and I have actually found many items made in the USA. Of course they still have tons of Chinese made stuff (as do all stores) but I have been able to buy toys and craft sets made in the USA.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I shop at Hobby Lobby and I have actually found many items made in the USA. Of course they still have tons of Chinese made stuff (as do all stores) but I have been able to buy toys and craft sets made in the USA.
They do but you have to look hard.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So it's a policy for employees and someone tried to make it look like a threat to customers. LOL
Yeah. How are they going to terminate a customer? I know the company my husband works for by firing on the spot anyone who takes so much as a plastic bag outside the doors.

I hate to break it to everyone but that is what just about every business does. And small businesses start after they are tired of being stolen blind, etc.

You just don't know about it as a customer.

Upvote 0