Not open for further replies.

mantelofaprophet

Feb 10, 2012
✟252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only until I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit did much of the new testiment come to life and my eyes were opened to so many scriptures that now make complete sense,

Its no wonder satan is working so hard to keep this treasure under wraps, or do the complete opposite and send in false prophets who abuse the gifts to such a high measure that no honest Christian would want to be apart of it.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are Powerful, and they are for all who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. but its understandable for anyone who rejects this notion, for alot of work has gone into making them look really weird

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only until I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit did much of the new testiment come to life and my eyes were opened to so many scriptures that now make complete sense,

Its no wonder satan is working so hard to keep this treasure under wraps, or do the complete opposite and send in false prophets who abuse the gifts to such a high measure that no honest Christian would want to be apart of it.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are Powerful, and they are for all who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. but its understandable for anyone who rejects this notion, for alot of work has gone into making them look really weird

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Does speaking in forked tongues count?

forkedtongue-thumb-700xauto-859.jpg

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That the prayer language/tongues are demonic, is a lie from Satan. Because he knows it's a powerful weapon in spiritual warfare!

Smith Wigglesworth prayed in tongues aswell, and we know who he was. It expels, and repels demons, I felt that once.

How can one NOT believe in tongues/want to speak in tongues? It has made me spiritfilled many times, and it makes me happy, peaceful and well in the spirit, in the morning.
Like it says in 1 Cor 14:4 below, speaking in tongues edifies and improves oneself

1 Corinthians 14:14
(Amplified Bible)
For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays, but my mind is unproductive [it bears no fruit and helps nobody].
1 Corinthians 14:13-15 (in Context)

1 Corinthians 14:15
(Amplified Bible)
Then what am I to do? I will pray with my spirit [by the Holy Spirit that is within me], but I will also pray [intelligently] with my mind and understanding; I will sing with my spirit [by the Holy Spirit that is within me], but I will sing [intelligently] with my mind and understanding also.
1 Corinthians 14:14-16 (in Context)

Jude 1:20
(Amplified Bible)
But you, beloved, build yourselves up [founded] on your most holy faith [ make progress, rise like an edifice higher and higher], praying in the Holy Spirit;
Jude 1:19-21 (in Context)

1 Cor 14:2
(Amplified Bible)
For one who speaks in an [unknown] tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands or catches his meaning, because in the [Holy] Spirit he utters secret truths and hidden things [not obvious to the understanding].

1 Cor 14:4
(Amplified Bible)
He who speaks in a [strange] tongue edifies and improves himself, but he who prophesies [[c]interpreting the divine will and purpose and teaching with inspiration] edifies and improves the church and promotes growth [in Christian wisdom, piety, holiness, and happiness].

Paul said:

1 Cor 14:18
(Amplified Bible)
I thank God that I speak in [strange] tongues (languages) more than any of you or all of you put together;

Obviously there are angelic/(spiritual languages?) too:

1 Corinthians 13:1
(Amplified Bible)
IF I [can] speak in the tongues of men and [even] of angels, but have not love (that reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion such as is inspired by God's love for and in us), I am only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Paul also wrote that we should all be celibate like him.

1 Corinthian 7:7 - I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. [NIV]

My only problem is with those that refuse to believe a person can be filled with the Spirit without speaking in tongues; while at the same time believing someone writhing on the floor barking like dogs is "spirit-filled".

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Paul also wrote that we should all be celibate like him.

No, he WISHED that all men WERE like him, not that all of them SHOULD BE.

1 Corinthian 7:7 - I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. [NIV]

Upvote 0

all4truth34

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,113.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I am a fundamentalist christian/baptist and I am a preacher's daughter and I have been taught against tongues my entire life. I struggle with it and if it is right. I asked my dad the other night if a christian ask the lord for a gift.. why would the lord give me a bad gift? Why would I get a demonic gift? He said to me something that really made alot of sense. He said Sherry, when I heard you in your room saying a curse word one day... was that a gift from God or the devil? I was always taught the gift of tongues was for the Jews and the apostles. The way I was taught is it wasnt a gift everyone had and it was used to speak to thousands who could not speak the preacher's language and God gave him that gift of tongues to preach to the thousands who could all understand this language. I am not saying it couldnt be used for that today, but I see no need in disorder and confusion in a worship service with no interpretation. I know in the bible he said I would rather you speak in words that everyone can understand than all the jibbersh. Just my opinion and I'm still seeking and studying and praying for all my questions. The day I got saved, the holy spirit came into me and he hasnt left me or will ever leave me. Amen and praise God for all the gifts he does give his children!

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,647.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
All4Truth.... I am fundamental/Baptist too. I was brought up to believe...

1. That speaking of tongues was of the devil
2. That all Catholics were going to hell.
3. That only Baptists were born again.

I once went to a Catholic church in which I am afraid that I was quite rude to everyone... And then the summer I graduated high school I spent my summer with my grandmother. Having farmed with the people I fell in with them. The services at the Pentecostal Holiness churches were quite lively. If a message in tongues was given out the people would wait for an interpretation.

As I would dwell with the people they would invite me to the Pentecostal Holiness church. As the summer came to the end I was at the alter after each service falling in with the people. At one particular revival one of the saints of the church came behind me praying for me. As he was praying warm tears were falling from his cheeks and hitting my shoulder. As a guy who didn't like to be touched this was profound. That evening I can only express the sensation using a few lines from John Bunyans Pilgrims Progress..

Now I saw in my dream, that the highway up which Christian was to go, was fenced on either side with a wall, and that wall was called Salvation. Isaiah 26:10. Up this way, therefore, did burdened Christian run, but not without great difficulty, because of the load on his back.

He ran thus till he came at a place somewhat ascending; and upon that place stood a cross, and a little below, in the bottom, a sepulchre. So I saw in my dream, that just as Christian came up with the cross, his burden loosed from off his shoulders, and fell from off his back, and began to tumble, and so continued to do till it came to the mouth of the sepulchre, where it fell in, and I saw it no more.

Then was Christian glad and lightsome, and said with a merry heart, “He hath given me rest by his sorrow, and life by his death.” Then he stood still a while, to look and wonder; for it was very surprising to him that the sight of the cross should thus ease him of his burden. He looked, therefore, and looked again, even till the springs that were in his head sent the waters down his cheeks. Zech 12:10. Now as he stood looking and weeping, behold, three Shining Ones came to him, and saluted him with, “Peace be to thee.” So the first said to him, “Thy sins be forgiven thee,” Mark 2:5; the second stripped him of his rags, and clothed him with change of raiment, Zech 3:4: the third also set a mark on his forehead, Eph 1:13, and gave him a roll with a seal upon it, which he bid him look on as he ran, and that he should give it in at the celestial gate: so they went their way. Then Christian gave three leaps for joy, and went on singing,

After that experience I lay down on my Grandmothers bed. My Grandmother was a very clean and decent woman and I could smell my clothesline fresh surroundings as well as hear the kady dids singing (this night it was as if they were praising the Lord) in the back drop with fire flies coming up our hill. Then for the first time in my life the Holy Spirit began to talk. I am like... Holy cow! The Holy Spirit is talking to me too! :clap:When I went back to school that year people would want to sit next to me in church so 'a little of that' would rub off on them. I wish I could say that I kept that spiritual experience alive in my own personal life, but as Pentecostals are in and out of revival, have had my challenges.

Had I not experienced these things I would have believed to this day that everything Pentecostal is fake and garbage. But as fundamentals and Baptist are in the bible so I still consider myself fundamental. And listen to BBNradio.org daily. I just turn the channel when they get to throwing off on Pentecostals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,647.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
As a Baptist turned Pentecostal I have retained the virtue of sincerity. I am not going to tell people to get something fake or artificial.

If it is the true Baptism in the Holy Ghost you seek it is going to take all of you to get it. In our coal mining community the coal miners use to drink. The wives got tired of having all their money spent on alcohol and began to seek the Pentecostal way...

The Pentecostal way in metaphor of the Hebrew Temple...

1. The outer gates - Justification - The faith to enter in.
2. The alter - Salvation - Simple belief in Jesus Christ.
3. The laver - Sanctification - Conforming to a believers standard.
---Inner temple - Sanctification ---
4. The candlestick - The proper spiritual energy and light (faith, hope, charity).
5. The table of shewbread - The word of God.
6. The alter of golden incense - Prayer and praise.
---The veil - The eye of the needle ---
7. The Holy of Holies - The baptism in the Holy Ghost

As a Baptist raised in the public schools I would find myself drifting away outside the inner temple. Then our good pastor would invite us to a weekend youth retreat. As I would go these places I would feel the sensations of dwelling in the inner temple and would experience sanctification all over again. You must go through the inner temple to get to the Holy of Holies as the Lord Jesus said that he would not pour the old wine into new vessels.

There is another problem in getting the Holy Ghost these days as this is the Laodicean church age...

1. Ephesus - Apostolic
2. Smyrna - Martyrs
3. Pergamos - Orthodox
4. Thyatira - Catholic
5. Sardis - Protestant
6. Philadelphia - Methodist / Pentecostal
7. Laodicea - Charismatic / Word of Faith

It is my opinion that Laodiceans do not have what it takes to receive the true baptism in the Holy Ghost. I just arrived from a stay in Cape Coral, FL where I would hang out with my Baptist friends during the morning and go to a Pentecostal revival during the night. Well, my Baptist friends quit going to church to sell electronic cigarettes and helicopters at the flee market Fr-Su. I would go out fishing with them during the week and they would eat at the bars as well as drink beer. The last time we stayed there was no beer in sight and I went with them to their Baptist church on Sunday morning. I complained to them before I left that they would have me drinking, smoking, and out of church all together if I hung around them any longer and they just laughed.

There are charismatic / word of faith people who try to teach people how to speak in tongues. This to me is the equivalent to setting up an imaginary Holy of Holies and telling people that they got the Baptism and don't know it. I would stay away from this teaching all together. William Seymour warned that “Whenever the doctrine of the baptism in the Holy Ghost will only be known as the evidence of speaking in tongues, that work will be an open door for witches and spiritualist and free loveism. That work will suffer because all kinds of spirits can come in.” This warning must be heeded as there are many people teaching it the wrong way!

So... Can we of the Laodicean church age get the Baptism? I believe it is possible... But we have got to get the camel through the eye of the needle. In which all I can say is... Good luck!

The best bet for the Baptism is to get a prayer group together and to seek it 'The Pentecostal way in metaphor of the Hebrew Temple' and stay in the inner temple reading the bible, praying, and worshiping until you get it. And when you get it you will know it, you won't need anyone to tell you you have it.

It takes spiritual sanctification to get into the Holy of Holies. I personally knew the old souls who got this and can tell you that there were no dark places inside their character. The inside person was filled with a radiant love, joy, and virtue. I remember as a boy that they would leave the doors unlocked in their houses and you could go inside without knocking whenever you please.

Video on the baptism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWiKNSE4JW0
Video on the church ages
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXO8Y0vvWT0

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,818.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am a fundamentalist christian/baptist and I am a preacher's daughter and I have been taught against tongues my entire life.!

When your church reads from passages that contain tongues, like Acts chapter 2, do they just skim over it?

Upvote 0

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Taken from ITIB Home

Fundamentalists protest first against the most prominent Pentecostal teaching, that speaking in tongues is a sign of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Fundamentalists are usually "cessationists," Christians who believe that some spiritual gifts, such as speaking in tongues and special acts of healing, ceased at the close of the New Testament era.12 They therefore reject one of the most basic Pentecostal teachings, saying that all believers are baptized by the Spirit (without speaking in tongues) when they are converted.

Even allowing that speaking in tongues is possible, Fundamentalists say that the Pentecostal practice of tongues is not scriptural. For example, in I Corinthians 14:26-32, Paul sets down rules for speaking in tongues in church. There should be no more than two or three people speaking in tongues in a service, and no one should do so if an interpreter is not present. Those who speak should do so in order and not simultaneously. Fundamentalists maintain that these instructions are usually not followed in Pentecostal circles.

A major concern to Fundamentalists is the tendency of some who speak in tongues to consider their utterances a special revelation from God. Fundamentalists (and many other Evangelicals) reject the idea of special revelation apart from the Bible. Paul teaches in II Timothy 3:15-17 that the Scriptures provide everything needed for salvation and Christian living. No extra revelation can be binding on the conscience of a believer. Long before the Pentecostal movement ever arose, John Wesley (whom Pentecostals see as one of their forerunners) warned:

"Give no place to a heated imagination. Do not hastily ascribe things to God. Do not easily suppose dreams, voices, impressions, visions, or revelations to be from God. They may be from him; they may be from nature; they may be from the devil. Therefore "believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they be of God." Try all things by the written word, and let all bow down before it. You are in danger of enthusiasm every hour if you depart ever so little from Scripture; yea, or from the plain literal meaning of any text taken in connection with the context. And so you are if you despise or lightly esteem reason, knowledge, or human learning; every one of which is an excellent gift of God, and may serve the noblest purposes."

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes what we've been taught isn't correct. You have to ask Yahweh for help and clarification. I was taught that the feasts were not to be observed anymore. But when I was studying the 50 chapters on the tabernacle and asks Yahweh to help me see, Scripture says they are "the feasts of the Lord" (Lev 23) to be observed forever and ever (Exo 12). It means remembering His goodness along with our Jewish believers. Just like when we take communion, we are remembering.

If you don't think speaking in tongues is a correct then just pray and ask Yahweh. Repent for saying things against it and that you want them, if He wants you to have them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When your church reads from passages that contain tongues, like Acts chapter 2, do they just skim over it?

We understand that tongues were a gift given in the early days of the church for a purpose specific to that time. So, no, no one skips over anything, but neither do we believe that a gift of the Holy Spirit can be counterfeited.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

greatdivide46

Nov 7, 2011
Alabama
✟9,561.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes what we've been taught isn't correct. You have to ask Yahweh for help and clarification. I was taught that the feasts were not to be observed anymore. But when I was studying the 50 chapters on the tabernacle and asks Yahweh to help me see, Scripture says they are "the feasts of the Lord" (Lev 23) to be observed forever and ever (Exo 12). It means remembering His goodness along with our Jewish believers. Just like when we take communion, we are remembering.

If you don't think speaking in tongues is a correct then just pray and ask Yahweh. Repent for saying things against it and that you want them, if He wants you to have them.
I did -- and God said to me, "Son, you're right. Tongues are for unbelievers and then in only very specific circumstances. That's why I put examples of it in my word -- so you would know that."

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In my congregation there are some bretheren that do this.
It makes me a little uncomfortable and none of them can tell me what they are saying.

Who benefits from this?

My interpretation of scriptures tells me that the speaking of tongues was a one time event.

Notice the attributes of the 'believer' given in Mark 16:16-18. One such attribute is speaking with other (new) tongues.
16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”

These words are describing believers, who have been baptised. The baptism must have been Holy Spirit baptism because the signs discussed in v17 & v18 can only be done with the Holy Spirit.

Speaking in tongues is authorized by Jesus and and Jesus never changes, i.e., Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever (Heb 13:8).

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking in tongues is a gift. God doesn't gift one and not another. But you can't fake it - just try it - its impossible and could be spotted immediately. But you have to remember the devil has tongues - but it is also immediately spotted - it is harsh and carrys no love whatsoever.

Take it from someone who use to call people who spoke in tongues 'holy rollers'

But I met a new friend who had something I didn't have - the Joy of the Lord. She finally ask me one day if I spoke in tongues - boy was I offended - my new friend was a holy roller. But as I got to know her this Joy of the Lord really got my attention. I had a book someone gave me 'In the Shadow of His Hand' - it was about a preacher searching for the Holy Spirit - I was home alone and just laid the book down and said 'God if this is of you, I want it' - the Holy Spirit fell on me like I was plugged into an electric socket.

It totally changes your life immediately - all religion, rules, man made laws all become just thoughts as your desire to please the Lord is overwhelming and your relationship with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit becomes the uppermost in your mind.

If someone speaks it out in church and there is no interpretation - it is not from God. If they are just praying to God - there is no interpretation needed.

It is a gift and if you seek it - God will give it to you when you are ready.

Upvote 0

greatdivide46

Nov 7, 2011
Alabama
✟9,561.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Speaking in tongues is a gift. God doesn't gift one and not another. But you can't fake it - just try it - its impossible and could be spotted immediately. But you have to remember the devil has tongues - but it is also immediately spotted - it is harsh and carrys no love whatsoever.

It is a gift and if you seek it - God will give it to you when you are ready.
Certainly tongues is a gift, but God does indeed "gift one and not another." If everyone was supposed to have the gift of tongues, then the whole church would be a mouth to borrow the analogy that Paul used comparing the church body to a human body. Paul's point was that everyone doesn't have the same gift of the Spirit just like the human body isn't all one part. Therefore, not everyone is going to have the gift of tongues.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Certainly tongues is a gift, but God does indeed "gift one and not another." If everyone was supposed to have the gift of tongues, then the whole church would be a mouth to borrow the analogy that Paul used comparing the church body to a human body. Paul's point was that everyone doesn't have the same gift of the Spirit just like the human body isn't all one part. Therefore, not everyone is going to have the gift of tongues.

You are right - my wording was not correct. The Bible does say not everyone has this gift - but what I meant was if you truely desire it and are ready for it God will not withhold it from you, but not everyone desires it. It is used for the Glory of God and not as an attention getter. It carrys power straight from the Throne.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.