Speaking in Tongues

Status
Not open for further replies.

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I asked her if the people who prayed over her were Pentecostal... No, she said, Baptist!

Why would you care if they were Pentecostal? It seems as if it is an idol to you.

Reactions: Isatis
Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Is this the same "Shambach who in the 1999 the Praise-A-Thon promised if people make the 2000 dollar faith pledge to TBN, not only will God give them the 2000 dollars before the year 2000 but he will also make themtotally debt free and their WHOLE family will be saved before the year 2000?"

Wow...I missed the boat on that one.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let’s face it - If the manifestation of speaking in tongues was a halo appeared, - no, that wouldn't be acceptable to some. Or if an angel appeared, oh no, some folks definitely wouldn't like that either. Okay, if there was a manifestation that was accepted to every believer - wonder what that would actually be? Anyway, if that was possible, we weren't have half of these discussions about speaking in tongues.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Let’s face it - If the manifestation of speaking in tongues was a halo appeared, - no, that wouldn't be acceptable to some. Or if an angel appeared, oh no, some folks definitely wouldn't like that either.

I was tempted to reply, "show us some of that and see what we do before you pass judgment," but there is a bigger point to be made. You can sneer, but the reason that good Christian people believe that tongues have ceased is because...

...tongues ceased.

That's right. From the times of the Apostolic Church, when these gifts were apparently widespread in order to fulfill God's purposes until recent years, there were no tongues in evidence except for an occasional and unverified reporting of some stray holy man or other--certainly not anything generally to be witnessed. Tongues ceased. To be a cessationist all one has to do is notice that tongues ceased. It's not a preference among us to be cessationists; it's the observation of a fact.

Reactions: desmalia
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In my congregation there are some bretheren that do this.
It makes me a little uncomfortable and none of them can tell me what they are saying.

Who benefits from this?

My interpretation of scriptures tells me that the speaking of tongues was a one time event.

I became a Charismatic shortly after I was first saved. Kenneth Hagin had a book on tongues that suggested (in spiritual terms of course) a person should start speaking anything (gibberish) and this would turn into the tongues. I was new to the whole tongue speaking environment (raised Roman Catholic) so I went along with this. Because I had such a hunger for the Lord, the more I studied, the more I listened to teachers like John MacArthur who didn't take phrases out of context and looked at the meaning of the Greek and Aramaic words, the more I started to question what was being taught.

The "words of knowledge" and the "prophecies" interpreted from the tongues spoken by the church leaders did not come to pass. The teaching got so strange (very New Age) that my wife and I left. A different gospel was being taught. I suspect your discomfort is similar to the discomfort my wife and I felt before we left that church. As to your question about who tongues benefit, I can only answer from my own experience. And that is the one doing the interpreting can shape words no one else understands to mean whatever suits their purpose.

I don't know if tongues have totally ceased are not. But would I skeptically receive any "new knowledge" and test it against the proven Word, the Bible, before acting on or accepting it.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was reared GARBC - General Association of Registered Baptist Churches - Located up there in Michigan somewhere. When I was a teenager I thought that all Catholics were going to hell and the speaking of tongues was of the devil. I would not touch a Catholic or near Pentecostalism with a ten foot pole!

And then I spent a summer here with my Grandmother in Virginia. Her neighbors were farmers so I fell in with them. As I would dwell with the people they would invite me to the Pentecostal Holiness church. As the summer came to the end I was at the alter after each service falling in with the people. At one particular revival one of the saints of the church came behind me praying for me. As he was praying warm tears were falling from his cheeks and hitting my shoulder. As a guy who didn't like to be touched this was profound. That evening I can only express the sensation using a few lines from John Bunyans Pilgrims Progress..

Now I saw in my dream, that the highway up which Christian was to go, was fenced on either side with a wall, and that wall was called Salvation. Isaiah 26:10. Up this way, therefore, did burdened Christian run, but not without great difficulty, because of the load on his back.

He ran thus till he came at a place somewhat ascending; and upon that place stood a cross, and a little below, in the bottom, a sepulcher. So I saw in my dream, that just as Christian came up with the cross, his burden loosed from off his shoulders, and fell from off his back, and began to tumble, and so continued to do till it came to the mouth of the sepulcher, where it fell in, and I saw it no more.

Then was Christian glad and lightsome, and said with a merry heart, “He hath given me rest by his sorrow, and life by his death.” Then he stood still a while, to look and wonder; for it was very surprising to him that the sight of the cross should thus ease him of his burden. He looked, therefore, and looked again, even till the springs that were in his head sent the waters down his cheeks. Zech 12:10. Now as he stood looking and weeping, behold, three Shining Ones came to him, and saluted him with, “Peace be to thee.” So the first said to him, “Thy sins be forgiven thee,” Mark 2:5; the second stripped him of his rags, and clothed him with change of raiment, Zech 3:4: the third also set a mark on his forehead, Eph 1:13, and gave him a roll with a seal upon it, which he bid him look on as he ran, and that he should give it in at the celestial gate: so they went their way. Then Christian gave three leaps for joy, and went on singing,

After that experience I lay down on my Grandmothers bed. My Grandmother was a very clean and decent woman and I could smell my clothesline fresh surroundings as well as hear the kady dids singing (this night it was as if they were praising the Lord) in the back drop with fire flies coming up our hill. Then for the first time in my life the Holy Spirit began to talk. When I went back to school that year people would want to sit next to me in church so 'a little of that' would rub off on them. I wish I could say that I kept that spiritual experience alive in my own personal life, but as Pentecostals are in and out of revival, have had my challenges.

I find that the reason why many are not as far a long as they should be is because they have too many Uzziah's in them. it's like... How arrogant was that guy!

In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the LORD sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. - Isaiah 6:1

To receive the true Baptism in the Holy Ghost the Uzziah must die!

1. Outer Gates - Justification: Everything begins with faith
2. Alter - Salvation: Accepting Jesus in our hearts
3. Laver - Sanctification: Conforming to a righteous believers standard
--- Inner Temple: The work of grace inside our hearts
4. Candlestick - Spiritual E (love, motivation) / c2 (faith, hope , charity, joy)
5. Table of Shewbread - The Word of God
6. Alter of Golden Incense - Prayer and praise
--The veil: The eye of the needle (Matthew 19:24)
7. The Ark of the Covenant - The Baptism in the Holy Ghost: The Shekinah Glory!

Holy Ghost Baptism (w/ Darlene Zschech): Seymour-Azusa Street - YouTube

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The above is not true. All the gifts of the Spirit continued for CENTURIES AFTER the Apostles as we find in the Ante-Nicene and Nicene fathers.

And then it ceased? Is that your point?

And the fact is that Pentecostal Christianity has eclipsed all other Protestant denominations in 100 years, and is the force in global missions,

That's irrelevant to this issue, though.

Cessationist is unBiblical, unbelieving bunk
Cessationism is merely the recognition of a historic fact. Tongues ceased until a fairly recent revival that was created, not spontaneous.

Upvote 0

SoulBap6

Sep 12, 2011
✟8,358.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God gives Gifts to people the people who are talented in Music, or people have many more than one Gift. Tongues is a Gift, a person who speaks more than one language, such as german, Spanish and other languages.

On the day of pentacost, but he did not give a special language to anyone group or religion. Talking in tongues is indeed a foreign language, but not unknown language as those that you read in the 2nd chapter of Acts. People who were there heard the gospel being preached in their native tongue.

I went to a pentecostal meeting with my mother who was a pentecostal, and I witness a women speaking or I'm not sure what she was saying, but there was no interpreter so what ever she had to say no one understood, that was not the only time.

My mother and I have different opinions and beliefs especially on the special language, that pentecostals claim to have, God did change the language of man at the Tower of Babel, If God wants to talk to you or me he is God and you will understand what he has to say, in the Language you can understand.

God talked to moses, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob there was no misunderstandings and no where in the Bible does it say there is a special Language or tongue to speak to God. I come from the show me State, please show me?

Before you Judge make sure you have your act together first, and know what you can prove, because I read about gifts but not the interpretation that Pentecostals claim and from what I have read Pentecostal truth, not anything you have said has proven that your claim is right and the other person is wrong. Name calling is real Christian?

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
VC viking wrote:

No he doesn't. He is incapable of refuting what the Bible teaches, which is straight up Pentecostal doctrine and experience. He cannot refuted plain Bible teaching. As a matter of fact, his writings against Charismatics are some of the worst pieces of amatuer so-called Biblical scholarship I have ever read. And his "exegesis" of 1Cor12 and 14 would be laughable were it not so blatantly twisting the Scripture. His appeals to Greek and Aramaic are illegitimate perversions. Some of the things he said the greek really meant was as pathetic as anything I ever read from the Watchtower, Rome or any other cult I have had extensive dealings with. MacArthur perverts the words of the Living God, and is guilty of much FALSE DOCTRINE. He doesn't PROPERLY REPRESENT the views he attacks, and he doesn't even understand the logical implications and true limitations of Sola Scriptura. The man just makes stuff up, like any other carnal, Spirit-resisting, stiff-necked Saducee. His Pneumatology is patently false.

Why such hatred?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Wasn't directed at him and my sarcasm was in relation to a false teacher, as done at times in the OT.

Also, when using sarcasm in return, make sure said sarcasm is directed at correct post, poster, postee, etc., for it loses it's effectiveness. :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wasn't directed at him and my sarcasm was in relation to a false teacher, as done at times in the OT.

As you know, I figured that out on second thought. Had you not omitted the "originally posted by X", as is customary, I think there would not have been any confusion.

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Psalms 119:

104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I HATE every false way.
113 I HATE vain thoughts: but thy law do I love.
128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I HATE every false way.
163 I HATE and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.

Then you hate your false ways? Interesting...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
As you know, I figured that out on second thought. Had you not omitted the "originally posted by X", as is customary, I think there would not have been any confusion.

True, but I wasn't quoting anyone.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
True, but I wasn't quoting anyone.

Perhaps you shouldn't have used quotation marks, then? Just a thought.

Is this the same "Shambach who in the 1999 the Praise-A-Thon promised if people make the 2000 dollar faith pledge to TBN, not only will God give them the 2000 dollars before the year 2000 but he will also make themtotally debt free and their WHOLE family will be saved before the year 2000?"

Wow...I missed the boat on that one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.