Is Spanking Teenagers for Discipline Appropriate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2006
✟7,694.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that spanking is completely wrong as most times it is done because the parent is angry and has run out of options. Sometimes teens make big mistakes and sometimes natural consequences are enough. I truly believe that consistency is the key and the consequence must fit the crime. If they stay out past curfew grounded. If they misuse computer it is taken away for a period of time. Finding what is meaningful to them like computer , phone, time with friends etc. Not like I am a perfect parent but neither is my daughter a perfect teen. She makes me so frusterated sometimes but thats life and she is learning now to transition into an adult. Just like as a two year old is learning independence so is the teen. If you use corporal punishment I believe it results in the child then just learning how to not get caught. So that is my humble opinion for all its worth.

Reactions: AngeliaTurner
Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Spanking teenagers is physical/sexual abuse (as far as the law is concerned), and we are told to follow to law.

Really, it is just plain wrong. As far as 'spare the rod, spoil the child', well, a teenager is not a child, and parents who think so are setting themselves up for a hard reality call. Granted teenagers will act like a child, but then so do adults, even parents.

Reactions: Butterfly99
Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
OT says to punish them but now we're not following the law.
Well, since this thread was revived...

Spare the rod, spoil the child. This is what your referring to, I'm guessing. Well, small issue, teenager != child. If you think otherwise, you have some misconceptions. Granted, some people of 13-17 can still be considered children (as in child like), but on average I would say not. Somewhere, children grow up, maybe not all at once, but they pass the stage where spanking was proper punishment. Plus, who is not to say that the rod has to be physical. Maybe, it just represents punishment for wrong doings overall?

Upvote 0

peacechild

Freethinker/Skeptic/Humanist/Atheist
Apr 24, 2005
✟15,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, laugh it up. It happens though. I was raised in an IFB church that incouraged spanking all the way up to the age of 20. The dictator of the church told everyone that in bible times you were considered a child up till the age of 20, thus using the "rod" on a teen was biblical, and the reason today's youth are so out of control is because they aren't receiving any beatings from Daddy. (As some of you may know, IFB isn't always known for stellar scholarship or accurate information..)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
I would say allot of the problem with todays teens and young adults is concerning their parents, but it is more so just the overall lack of the parents input on their life. As shown in here, that is not always the case, but many times there will be parents who don't act like they are parents. Sometimes it can be too much punishment also. If one over punishes a child, the child can be pushed away.

Upvote 0

tp65

Mar 19, 2006
✟9,904.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Also, if a parent does not allow their children to make mistakes. Mistakes are absolutely necessary to growing up but helicopter parents (always hovering) make sure their kids don't have the opportunity to make mistakes. When mistakes are made then they should be pointed out and the opportunity should be taken to learn from them. Spanking a child at that point, instead of educating them with some discipline if necessary, is a mistake on the parent's part and doesn't really help the child. Again, not against spanking kids in general but there should always be a balance (totally against spanking teens)

Upvote 0
B

BarbBlessed

When I was 16 I decided I decided I was too grown up to have to listen to my mother anymore. (My dad was working out of town and I suppose that had a little to do with my sudden disrespect.) Anyway, my mom spoke to me about it several times, took away my phone privileges for a week or so and finally grounded me because of my attitude.

I had a date scheduled and was ashamed to tell him that I was grounded, so I tried to talk Mom into letting me go on the date anyway. Of course she said no. But when she left for a Ladies' meeting at the church I went out anyway. :blush: When I got home she was waiting for me, belt in hand. It was humiliating (and painful) to be spanked as a teenager, but it certainly reminded me that my mother was still in charge. She'd given me lots of "education" before that evening, but I chose to ignore it. The next morning, she and I had a long talk about my attitude and behavior and at that point I was ready to listen.

I don't think spanking is appropriate for all teenagers, but I do think there are some teenagers, and some situations where it's appropriate and effective. Not in place of heart to heart discussions and loss of privileges but as another tool.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are much more suitable punishments for a teen IMO, my parents used to ground me meaning, no tv, no dates, no sleep over, no phone, no computer (except for homework)..There was once when my step dad slapped me across the face and my knee jerk reaction was to hit him back and I did...I swear I'm not a violent kid and have ALWAYS been respectful to my elders, but I was 17 (and honestly didn't do anything to deserve it), so not only is hitting a teen useless, it could also be dangerous if the child has had a violent history of some sort...like I said, I'm not violent and I'm very respectful to my elders, but being slapped across the face was crossing the line and it made me snap. Ground them til they're 30, it'll be more effective.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.