1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

Spanking Teenagers

Discussion in 'Parenting Teens and Young Adults' started by peacechild, Aug 30, 2006.

1. peacechild

peacechild Freethinker/Skeptic/Humanist/Atheist

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Sorry if I am not supposed to be posting in this forum, but I am interested in the opinions of those who parent teens.
    Do you think that spanking teens is appropriate and effective?

2. sreno7

sreno7 New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    CA-NDP
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    no never. I have hit my daughter out of anger though. My son is bigger than I am.

3. c1ners

c1ners Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Maybe a swat on the bottom, but no, not spanking.
    Spanking is degrading, and I don't think it works with a teenager.

4. Gerry_NY

Gerry_NY Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that spanking a teen is neither effective or appropriate. When they reach that age there is sooo much more that can be used to punish them. Phone priveleges, internet use, sleepovers, going to friends house...anything along those lines. I believe once they have reached 9 or 10 they are then too old for spankings.

5. septemberskies

septemberskies You can find me on cloud no.9

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Christian
    I'm not a parent but I don't think spanking a teenager helps not to mention it's degrading. Spanking works for younger children who you have to teach right from wrong but a teenager needs other types of punishments.

6. jessesgirl

jessesgirl Aspire to inspire before you expire

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    absolutely not, i am not the parent of a teenager, but I feel like that is so disrespectful toward the teen. it is extremely degrading. my parents grounded us when we were teenagers, took away privelages but never spanking.

7. Naomi4Christ

Naomi4Christ not a nutter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Anglican
    I wouldn't want to be hit back by a teenager...

8. indagroove

indagroove Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational

This sums it up pretty good !

9. peacechild

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    So far, the responders of this thread have not advocated corporal punishment for teens, but one might argue that from a biblical perspective it is the correct method of discipline for ALL minors... What would you say to that?

10. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Mrs. Paria

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I do not believe that in the Bible does it says ALL MINORS are to be spanked. It says spare the rod, spoil the child. I am almost 30 years old, but Ill be you know what if my father lifted his hand to spank me. I am still his child.
    A child is no longer considered to be a minor at 18, but is still a teenager. Spankings for 13-17? It doesn't strike me as being a sensible thing to do in the least.
    Just as the others said, there is a time where most parents understand that spanking is no longer appropriate nor is it effective.

11. God.is.my.force

God.is.my.force God_Chaser

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    Oh, good responses - well, easily enough, if you think your child's anger and laughter mixed is a punishment - enjoy the ride - or else they'll call the cops on you saying you abuse them

12. BeanMak

BeanMak Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
    And in biblical times, a person over the age of 13 was not considered a minor. They were adults with adult resposibilities.

13. sreno7

sreno7 New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    CA-NDP
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    Don't know about where you live but it isn't against the law to spank a child where I live. Not that I would spank a teen but as long as you don't use a weapon it isn't a crime. I don't think the cops would get involved either, though child protection may investigate.

14. breadandjam

breadandjam Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I think spanking a teenager falls under sexual harrassment/abuse. Once a child hits puberty, they are too old to be spanked.

15. tessas212

tessas212 Dog Behavior Consultant

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Christian
    Spanking teens isn't hte best punishment, IMO. Heck, I do not even like spanking much with small children. (Not that I consider it abuse, just that it can LEAD to abuse. And not only that, but it is so much easier to punish rather than reward. How many people here can honestly say their parents effectively used positive reinforcement throughout their childhood? I know I can't.)

Personally, I think spanking should be left for younger children, not teens.

16. tp65

tp65 New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    I haven't spanked my kids in forever...probably since they were 4 years old. Their minds work differently at a certain age (different for each child) where "shocking" them with a spanking is not as effective as teaching them through taking away a privilege or toy, etc. We used spanking to shock them out of a destructive behaviour but not as the punishment itself. It was a quick swat and then we could get on with things. Don't need to do that for a teenager for sure! Great question though...I was just remembering when I was in high school there were two punishments when you went to the principals office...you could either get swatted with the board or stay after school. The boys always took the board and ended up coming back for more...didn't stop them from getting in trouble. I don't think that would be allowed anyplace anymore...am I wrong?

heron likes this.
  17. peacechild

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Yes, you are wrong. When my brother was in school just a few years ago, he went to a small Baptist school (K-12) that spanked all the kids of every age after getting a certain amount of demerits. The parents who enrolled their children in the school had to sign a form (and quite a few other forms) saying they were giving the school permission to spank their child. And I personally know about a dozen kids who are attending that school now, receive swats from the principal.

I'm not sure if the school could get in trouble, the people running the school seem to be able to save their own behinds from almost anything.

18. tp65

tp65 New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    Wow, I wondered if that is where this topic came from. That seems incredible to me. I would never sign such a form...it opens a door to abuse of authority. I have seen parents spank for every reason under the sun, therefore I would never give anyone (outside of family) permission to spank my child...used too much it loses it's effectiveness anyway. Very interesting topic!

19. laptoppop

laptoppop Servant of the living God

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    One discipline that works quite well with our teen-ager is to take away his electricity -- no phone, no computer, no games, etc. We've only had to do it twice - and then for short periods. Its very effective in some cases.

20. DivineRAiN

DivineRAiN New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    nah.. I don't think it's appropriate to use that kind of discipline on a teenager. My daughter is 15, no way would I spank her. Last time she was spanked she was either 9 or 10.