Dec 16, 2004
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok Really George you are going to have to start finding alternate Sites when you post this kind of thing. Lifesite is obviously biased in its opinions. I understand what they are trying to do but Educated people are not going to pay attention to any site that continually tends to be onesided without giving ways to look up the information from other sources. I usually try to search the web for other news stories on such topics from Biased websites. 9 times out of 10 I can't find any other news story from another source when Lifesite has created it.

-butterfoot

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
george78 said:
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/mar/06031001.html

In an unwitting move, Spain's government last week provided strong proof that same-sex marriages really are anti-family.

How very interesting. One would think a story this momentous and with such far-reaching consequences would have hit every major news outlet, but only lifesite seems to be carrying it.

Well: that must be the scoop of the century, or lifesite employs some people who are very poor at creative writing.

Class: what do you think?

Upvote 0

butterfoot

Formerly Known as cameronw
Dec 16, 2004
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
UberLutheran said:
How very interesting. One would think a story this momentous and with such far-reaching consequences would have hit every major news outlet, but only lifesite seems to be carrying it.

Well: that must be the scoop of the century, or lifesite employs some people who are very poor at creative writing.

Class: what do you think?

I would have to say that they were mediocre in their creative writing.

Somone at lifesite had to have put alot of thought into this story. Fiction as it may be.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2002
✟16,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
My first objection is that language laws are very hard to enforce, unless you're willing to do it by gunpoint (as was done in Turkey in the beginning of the last century) or the population is receptive (like in Iceland). Secondly, they're not really banning the terms mother and father, nor the concept of a mother and a father. What they're doing seems more like bookkeeping than anything else. It's analogous to the US census listing atheist/agnostic as a religion, despite the majority of atheists/agnostics denying their beliefs to constitute a religion. It's just easier for paper purposes.

Upvote 0

SuzQ

I'm.....Wonder Woman
Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think Lifesite is necessarily all "lies" simply because it's a religious site.

Let's see...CBS goes to air with a story that President Bush never served in the military - OOPS! Sorry, we were wrong! Associated Press puts out a story last week that Bush knew the levees would break or overflow in New Orleans, yet did nothing about it - OOPS! Sorry, we were wrong! LOL! Yes, these "reputable" new sources whose clearly left-leaning views have now raised more concerns about legitimate news stories more than ever. Talk about bias!!

I'll take Lifesite at its word on this article - way too many details about the birth registry process in Spain to be made up. The part I chuckled at the most was the lesbian groups now petitioning/complaining about the spanish-masculine version of using "progenitor" as the parent description. They got a point, folks!! ;)

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
george78 said:
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/mar/06031001.html

In an unwitting move, Spain's government last week provided strong proof that same-sex marriages really are anti-family.

This article clearly shows the bias of Lifesite, additionally how they often editorialize in articles that are supposedly just reporting news. This article is a clear example of why Lifesite is not confused with a news source.

The facts are that Spain is not banning "Mother" or "Father". The terms are only be changed on some government forms. Further, your claim that same-sex marriages are somehow "anti-family" is completely unsupported by this article. Just stating the claim does not make it true.

Upvote 0

SuzQ

I'm.....Wonder Woman
Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
SimplyMe said:
This article clearly shows the bias of Lifesite, additionally how they often editorialize in articles that are supposedly just reporting news. This article is a clear example of why Lifesite is not confused with a news source.

The facts are that Spain is not banning "Mother" or "Father". The terms are only be changed on some government forms. Further, your claim that same-sex marriages are somehow "anti-family" is completely unsupported by this article. Just stating the claim does not make it true.

Of course it's biased - no one is saying they aren't. Doesn't mean the facts in the article are wrong. They ARE banning the term "mother" or "father" for the second same-sex parent in the birth registrty. FACT.

They just put their own opinion on the "anti-family" view with it in the article. If you don't agree with their opinions, you just have to dismiss it & read the facts only. It's easy, I do it every day with our clearly liberal "State Journal" here in Madison, Wisconsin. I may not agree with Democratic opinions that go along with some of the articles, but I just read to see the facts, m'aam. ;)

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SuzQ said:
Of course it's biased - no one is saying they aren't. Doesn't mean the facts in the article are wrong. They ARE banning the term "mother" or "father" for the second same-sex parent in the birth registrty. FACT.

They just put their own opinion on the "anti-family" view with it in the article. If you don't agree with their opinions, you just have to dismiss it & read the facts only. It's easy, I do it every day with our clearly liberal "State Journal" here in Madison, Wisconsin. I may not agree with Democratic opinions that go along with some of the articles, but I just read to see the facts, m'aam. ;)

Except the article never claims they are "banning" anything. They were changing the names on some registry forms not "banning" the old names. In fact, when the issue was brought to them they claimed that it wasn't meant to change all the forms, just that it was an optional replacement. Part of the problem with Lifesite is that they continually make claims that the facts do not support.

If the "State Journal" is placing their opinion into news articles, that is wrong as well. One of the first things taught in any journalism class is that news articles are to stick to the facts, and to try to remove bias in your reporting. Reporters are human, so they don't always succeed. Opinion pieces belong in the editorial pages only. Until Lifesite learns to try that and not claim opinion as fact, as they do in this article, or try to slant the facts, as they also do in this article, they will not be viewed as a valid news source.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Interestingly, except for the "abolish father and mother" spin they put on it, George and Lifesite aren't wrong on this one.

From gay newsweekly The Advocate's March 8 online edition:
Following its legal recognition of same-sex marriage last year, Spain is now creating new birth certificates to avoid discriminating against gay couples with children. Instead of the terms "father" and "mother," the new certificates will say "Progenitor A" and "Progenitor B," respectively, reports The Daily Telegraph in London.

According to the head of the country's Civil Register, the changes are being made to be consistent with the 2005 law that granted marriage equality in Spain. The new terms are drawing heavy criticism from Spanish conservatives, who claim they're meant to "brainwash" people into accepting parenthood by gay people. (Advocate.com)

In other words, the Civil Register is providing birth certificates that recognize that the legal parents of a child may not be one father and one mother.

Nowhere in the news (other than opinion expressed as "news" in a few overtly anti-gay publications) is there any suggestion that Spain is abolishing the terms "father" and "mother" -- merely recognizing that persons choosing to parent may come in other capacities than a traditional one man/one woman marriage.

Upvote 0

elanor

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Nov 9, 2003
Left Coast
Visit site
✟16,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Polycarp1 said:
Interestingly, except for the "abolish father and mother" spin they put on it, George and Lifesite aren't wrong on this one.

In other words, the Civil Register is providing birth certificates that recognize that the legal parents of a child may not be one father and one mother.

Nowhere in the news (other than opinion expressed as "news" in a few overtly anti-gay publications) is there any suggestion that Spain is abolishing the terms "father" and "mother" -- merely recognizing that persons choosing to parent may come in other capacities than a traditional one man/one woman marriage.
Progenitor A and B? Okay, I'm guessing they didn't use Parent A and B because the Spanish word for parents is padres, which is the same word for fathers. Ooh, the word for male and female parents is the same as the word for two male parents! The gay agenda must've infiltrated the language right from the beginning. ;)

Reactions: SimplyMe
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Polycarp1 said:

Personally, I think the post with the picture of the former Iraqi Minister of Information was accurate. Claiming Lifesite was accurate except for the spin is about the same as those who claimed the Iraqi Minster of Information was correct except for the spin. ;)

Upvote 0