Sorry I can't Cuddle right now. I'm busy.

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Statistics

<giant image>

Let's dissect the poster a bit, shall we? This is what we have:
  • The StarCraft e-sport industry, as if this is a bad thing. Then it cites a single scandal in the StarCraft e-sport industry, as if this somehow reflects on the entire operation. This is not explicitly mentioned, but given the rest of the tone of the graphic, it can be very much surmised.
  • A baseless shift from games to Empire State Building building based on man-hour time measurements alone. Aside from the fact that measuring things in man-hours is a dangerous idea (at least for software; see the Mythical Man-Month), this was simply done in order to make this amount of time (50 hours/week) seem far more impressive than it actually is. No, these people would not be building skyscrapers in their free time. What? Are all gamers structural engineers in disguise or something? The skyscraper analogy is an appeal to emotion.
  • Several isolated extreme incidents and "one doctor." These incidents are extreme, even for people addicted to games. They rarely happen and can in no way be generalized to all people who play games.

The only real relevant bits of data are the small percentage of "extreme gamers." So, you are keeping up a stereotype based on the actions of a group smaller than 4% of the US populace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I should add that for some of us we simply enjoy a good puzzle or challenge. Most of the games I like to play are puzzle or adventure games that challenge my mind and make me think. I think games like WoW have so many addicts because it constantly requires you to play to level up and keep things going. I would hate that type of game; I prefer something I can play for an hour and then turn off for a few days. Unfortunately some people can't find that balance.

Like I said before: any man who chooses video games over time with a woman is a sad man indeed.

Upvote 0

waves16

don't provoke the beavers
Dec 20, 2010
Canada
✟17,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I try to involve ladies in the gaming. It can be a bonding experience. Then, if she beats me we can cuddle...Well if I beat her I will still cuddle. :p

Smart man :cool:
tumblr_lhaxy6T4Hh1qb2i6lo1_500.jpg

Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Let's dissect the poster a bit, shall we? This is what we have:

You know my original statement was that it was personal experience with "gamer" guys which denotes someone who regularly games and is involved with gaming culture. The percentage of addicts in this section are far higher than just someone who enjoys games. I'm sorry if you feel the need to be so defensive about this but it's what I've seen and experienced from dealing with men who are self-proclaimed gamers.

I think this conversation is also neglecting discussion of the geek hierarchy as far as gaming geek culture goes.

Mostly my experience with gamers has been people who are about here on the gaming geek hierarchy.

I honestly don't think I'd call people who only causally play games "gamers".

It's a culture, not a product.

I should add that for some of us we simply enjoy a good puzzle or challenge. Most of the games I like to play are puzzle or adventure games that challenge my mind and make me think. I think games like WoW have so many addicts because it constantly requires you to play to level up and keep things going. I would hate that type of game; I prefer something I can play for an hour and then turn off for a few days. Unfortunately some people can't find that balance.

Like I said before: any man who chooses video games over time with a woman is a sad man indeed.

:thumbsup: If I knew more gamers like that it would rock.

Upvote 0

darktipper

Outside I look bad but inside is like candy :)
Apr 10, 2011
Somewhere in outer space.....
✟15,935.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I laughed at some women who kept dumping guys because they played games. You dont see guys dumping women due to shopping.... If the woman was wize she can use that as me time while he games. A true gamer is that person who gotta have that new game when it 1st comes out. I was like that when I was younger but now I will hand with my old games for years and pick up a new game here and there.....

Upvote 0

Starnchrist

Queen_E Formerly Soldier <3
Jul 7, 2010
New York
✟12,690.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
cant+cuddle.bmp

Soo many have a debate on the video gaming boyfriend and the pist off girlfriend. My whole thing is simple. There half truths about this issue and then there are truths based on experience. Some people know someone in this same situation but believe it must swing both ways. The mrs should be understand and even try an participate and the Mr should try not to go over board to thw point where he'll neglect her. Me ill join him

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You know my original statement was that it was personal experience with "gamer" guys which denotes someone who regularly games and is involved with gaming culture. The percentage of addicts in this section are far higher than just someone who enjoys games. I'm sorry if you feel the need to be so defensive about this but it's what I've seen and experienced from dealing with men who are self-proclaimed gamers.

You started out with "in my experience, this stereotype is true," citing one situation as your experience. You then proceed to say that you won't judge gamers, but just be wary. That's a judgment. You can't say you won't judge a group and then proceed to judge them in the same sentence. You are aware why stereotypes are stereotypes, right? They are popular images based in tiny grains of truth. It's basically the point of a stereotype that people violate them.

Replace "gamer" in your statements with practically any other group in society. If you put a race in there, you'll end up with racism. If you put homosexuality in there, some would argue you would wind up with homophobia. Your logic is fallacious. It follows the exact same pattern as arguments for certain social positions that have long since been outlawed or educated away.

Is your position the SAME as racism or homophobia? No. But the logic is very similar: take several isolated examples and apply it to the greater whole in a negative fashion. I'm being "defensive" because you're supporting an untrue stereotype based on your apparently limited exposure to people who play games and then trying to shrug it off by saying "oh I wouldn't prejudge them" while simultaneously prejudging all of them.

Upvote 0

Rose of Eden

Queen of CF and Child of God
Sep 22, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟22,366.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Another awesome drawing, Starnchrist! ^_^

I wouldn't have a problem with a guy who plays video games, just because he's a gamer. However, if he's obsessive (time-wise or financially) about it and neglectful (of the house, children, or me) then that's a problem.

^ This is how I feel too. I don't think I could put up with a man who's an obsessive, gaming addict. But as for normal, casual gamers...sure! I'd even want to play with him! :D

Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You started out with "in my experience, this stereotype is true," citing one situation as your experience. You then proceed to say that you won't judge gamers, but just be wary. That's a judgment. You can't say you won't judge a group and then proceed to judge them in the same sentence. You are aware why stereotypes are stereotypes, right? They are popular images based in tiny grains of truth. It's basically the point of a stereotype that people violate them.

Replace "gamer" in your statements with practically any other group in society. If you put a race in there, you'll end up with racism. If you put homosexuality in there, some would argue you would wind up with homophobia. Your logic is fallacious. It follows the exact same pattern as arguments for certain social positions that have long since been outlawed or educated away.

Is your position the SAME as racism or homophobia? No. But the logic is very similar: take several isolated examples and apply it to the greater whole in a negative fashion. I'm being "defensive" because you're supporting an untrue stereotype based on your apparently limited exposure to people who play games and then trying to shrug it off by saying "oh I wouldn't prejudge them" while simultaneously prejudging all of them.

I wasn't prejudging anybody. Being wary about a relationship with a gamer is watching to see if he's addicted or if he is not.It's discretion and knowing what you want or don't in your life. It's about having good boundaries.
I don't want to be in a relationship with a man who has no social life outside of gaming again. So if I meet a gamer-type I'm obviously going to figure out if he has hobbies outside of gaming to see if that's a good fit.

It is the basic rule of a stereotype that it is going to be violated by exceptions. Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, because they're based in experiences that people have had.

You can't blow them up and say every person who is a gamer is addicted, I noted that in my first post. However, I can say that in my personal experience it has been true because, in my experience, it has been. I haven't been in a relationship with a gamer or had a friend in a relationship with a gamer who wasn't addicted.

Do you understand what I was saying now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a definite difference between a gamer and someone who plays games.

I should know as two of my brothers are gamers and the other two just play games :D

Y

I'm being "defensive" because you're supporting an untrue stereotype based on your apparently limited exposure to people who play games and then trying to shrug it off by saying "oh I wouldn't prejudge them" while simultaneously prejudging all of them.

Then by your own logic you must prove your opinion of gamers based on statistics and scientific studies.

Please show us all through said means that what she stated in an "untrue stereotype"

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I laughed at some women who kept dumping guys because they played games. You dont see guys dumping women due to shopping.... If the woman was wize she can use that as me time while he games.

It says a lot more about those women who dump gamer guys.

Upvote 0

MehTeh

Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
✟15,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not going to dump a woman because she's always watching the latest bit of trash on the tv (reality/dancing/cooking/female oriented shows), I'll just use it as more gaming time. :)

I'm not going to sully my brain by watching it even if she does want a cuddle at that time. Personal space is important for both people.

Upvote 0

Rose of Eden

Queen of CF and Child of God
Sep 22, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟22,366.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not going to dump a woman because she's always watching the latest bit of trash on the tv (reality/dancing/cooking/female oriented shows), I'll just use it as more gaming time. :)

I'm not going to sully my brain by watching it even if she does want a cuddle at that time. Personal space is important for both people.

HEY! Don't be hatin' on cooking shows! They can result in some GOOD FOOD! :thumbsup:

Also, don't forget....there are just as many "male oriented" trash shows as there are "female oriented" trash shows. :p

But I do agree about the personal space. A little bit is definitely needed. No one likes to be suffocated! ^_^

Upvote 0

MehTeh

Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
✟15,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
HEY! Don't be hatin' on cooking shows! They can result in some GOOD FOOD! :thumbsup:

Also, don't forget....there are just as many "male oriented" trash shows as there are "female oriented" trash shows. :p

But I do agree about the personal space. A little bit is definitely needed. No one likes to be suffocated! ^_^

Well I'm yet to benefit from a cooking show so your milage may vary.

As for the split between male and female oriented shows, at least from an Australian point of view it is heavily weighted towards women as the primary audience, and that's just on prime time tv. Add in daytime programming and it gets even worse.

True men do dominate sports viewership but that tends to be weekend watching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums