Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2004
✟33,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's a type of song (though it's more of a chant) that I've known since I was really little...it's cool and pretty simple (and you can make up your own rhythm) and has actions...goes like this...

I'm in right *put two thumbs up and point inwards to self*
Out right *again...but thumbs go out*
Up right *again...but just 2 normal thumbs up*
Down right *you get the idea :p*
Happy all time *clap hands while saying this*
Then repeat all that again...
Thennnnn...
Since Jesus Christ *point up* came in *point to self* and washed away my sin *washing motions with hands*
I'm in right...etc...

It's really simple (though sometimes doesn't seem like it the first few times trying :p) and good fun...especially when sped up!! If I didn't explain it too well...sorry! But I have always and still do love it!

Upvote 0

AJBG

Jun 24, 2007
✟7,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

I help with Childrens Church at my church and I am looking to do some songs with the children with hand motions. Does anyone have any ideas how to get started? I suppose I could make up my own hand motions/dance, but I was hoping someone might know of a website or some books to help.

Thanks!
Check out the stuff from worshipforkids.com.
They have both DVD tracks, Hand Motions DVDs and a Worship Curriculum. We started a church for kids and used their stuff and the kids loved it.

peace... AJBG

Upvote 0

BBlessed

Jun 3, 2007
✟15,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our Kids Church have started using some of the songs by Vineyard UK Kids - and the best part was the children making up their own actions after listening to the words! It meant that they actually paid attention to what the words said, and then thought of an action which suited the words.
So far our favourites are "Yes Lord" and "So Glad".

Upvote 0

E-beth

Senior Contributor
Feb 6, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
✟20,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I echo the advice to look up Group Publishing. My preschool class at school AND the children's church kids all love to do them. We have a few from this year's VBS Avalanche Ranch that they can't get enough of: Our God is an Awesome God, Praise the Lord, and This Is The Day.

Upvote 0

mrscplus

Jul 8, 2007
Toronto
✟8,162.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Willowcreek has some great dvd's too...you can use them to lead the kids.
We also had our older kids help me make up the actions to the Gaither song, I am a promise.
They did a great job, in about 10 minutes, and then we taught the whole program, and we sang it in church last Sunday...everyone remembered, from ages 3-12.

In fact, we did them so well, that I caught myself doing the actions while caught in a stopped traffic jam on the way home.

Upvote 0

AlohaAquamarine

Aug 5, 2007
Sydney
✟15,498.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I've been doing 'action songs' and 'thinking about God' songs with our kids church for a number of years and we use a lot of actions for our noisy songs. Basically what we've done for some is use sign language for keywords in choruses ( eg I give thanks - from the cd Great Big God ), or obvious actions to songs such as He is the Rock.

If you can get your hands on it, an Australian muso Colin Buchannan has great memory verse songs and DVDs ( there are actions on the dvds )

I also do a disability camp where we do action songs, some do them some don't and there have been stacks of kids/teens over the years who start off not wanting to do the actions and no one ever mentions it or pressures everyone to do them and once they see that no one notices and everyone else is having so much fun they start to do it.

Point is, if you make it look fun enough everyone joins in even the leaders !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums