Songs with hand motions?

Aceybee

Jun 30, 2004
✟15,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It might not be quite what you are looking for, but you could try sign language... I've done a course in it, and have ended up using some of it with my church's kids..
Apart from that, it depends on what songs you are using.. we always either used songs that came with actions or we got together as a group and made up some..

Upvote 0

kaalee

Jul 5, 2006
✟15,151.00
Faith
Baptist
There is a series of books that have all kinds of songs that have hand motions, called "Piggyback Songs". If you look at your local library or do a search on Amazon, you will find several that would work for a childrens ministry. One is specifically titled, "Piggyback Songs of Praise". There is also a "Wee Sing" series that has some Sunday School songs that have hand motions in them. The Piggyback series has a lot of songs that people have put to well-known tunes and a lot of them are geared toward preschoolers. You might prefer the Wee Sing series if you are working with grade schoolers.

Upvote 0

epy

Jun 16, 2006
✟15,391.00
Faith
Methodist
I could make a list of songs that I know have motions and I could then describe them to you, but I don't know that you are looking for that kind of thing. In the event that would be helpful, let me know.

On a different note, I once saw a Sunday School lesson done with a song. There was a particular sripture passage that was repeated in the song. The scripture passage was simple/not complicated. The scripture was read and discussed with a few questions. Then, they did some stretching. After that, groups were assigned. Each group came up with motions to demonstrate a phrase. They practiced having the groups go in the order that it was in the song. After doing that a few times, the music was turned on in the background. It was a dance! But that wasn't discovered until the end.

Upvote 0
T

TrustingmyLord

I have seen a couple of sign language sites and they were ok, but alot of the words and signs they had were a bit odd, didnt seem like it would work well in a song, but I'll keep looking.

kaalee, Thanks for the book suggestion, hopefully I can find the ones you mentioned. Its so hard to look for if you dont know the titles.

I could make a list of songs that I know have motions and I could then describe them to you, but I don't know that you are looking for that kind of thing. In the event that would be helpful, let me know.

Hmm, would that be too much trouble? I wonder, how hard is it to describe? Maybe you could send me a list of songs, then I could choose a couple? If you dont mind, you can PM me and we can talk more about it.

The lesson done with the song sounds absolutely brilliant! As much as I like that idea, what I would really be doing is have them practice just one song for about a month (or however long it takes) and then they would perform it in front of the church during regular service. Then we would move on to a new song.

Also, I have a new question. Is this something that all the kids should do, or should it be offered to the ones who are interested? Most all of the kids love this sort of thing, but there is one girl who comes, she is very shy and refuses to participate in this type of thing, so I was just wondering if I should offer this to ones who agree. But if its only the one girl, maybe she can either sit out, or it may encourage her to participate, I dont know. Any ideas here? Have any of you done much of this? If so, do you have any tips or advice?

Thanks to all!

Upvote 0

epy

Jun 16, 2006
✟15,391.00
Faith
Methodist
About the girl, find something for her to do that is productive and within her comfort zone. Our children's groups have a couple kids with mental disabilities. They can't do what most can. However, they usually enjoy participating. They can't be expected to sing or do motions like everyone else, but they like being part of it. Perhaps she could hold cue cards? or help with props? Would it bother you if she stands there as part of the group but does not sing or do the motions?

Upvote 0

Emmaleuk

May 23, 2006
Staffordshire
Visit site
✟8,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know quite a number of action songs. Maybe you could get them used to the idea by using simple songs such as
"our God is a great big God"
"Great great brill brill"
"Who's the king of the jungle" etc etc
and teaching them really simple but fun actions to go along with the song. My sunday school class have grown to love to dance and sing. I dont FORCE them to join in, but I ask everyone to at least stand up and I find that even the shy ones will join in after a while when they realise that I look even more silly than they do!!

Upvote 0
T

TrustingmyLord

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

I guess I need to point out that our kids range in age from 5 to 12. So I would need something thats not too complicated for the smaller ones, yet not too "childish" for the older ones. I am not quite sure how that will work.

So newer praise type songs would be good, as long as they are not too "wordy" for the 5 yr olds. LOL

About the girl, find something for her to do that is productive and within her comfort zone. Our children's groups have a couple kids with mental disabilities. They can't do what most can. However, they usually enjoy participating. They can't be expected to sing or do motions like everyone else, but they like being part of it. Perhaps she could hold cue cards? or help with props? Would it bother you if she stands there as part of the group but does not sing or do the motions?

First off, theres nothing wrong with her, secondly, she wont, wont, wont participate. She is, well, maybe a little spoiled, comes from a great family, but her self esteem is awful. She doesnt want to embarass herself maybe? Once during craft she colored out of the lines... barely, then she threw the colors down in frustration and started crying.

It wouldnt bother ME if she just stood there, but it bothers her. Last time we tried a song she hid in the back, off to the side. Tried to be invisible.

Thanks again for all the great tips, if anyone has any more, or knows how difficult or easy it will be to figure something out with the varied ages, let me know!

Upvote 0

Emmaleuk

May 23, 2006
Staffordshire
Visit site
✟8,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TrustingmyLord said:
Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

I guess I need to point out that our kids range in age from 5 to 12. So I would need something thats not too complicated for the smaller ones, yet not too "childish" for the older ones. I am not quite sure how that will work.

So newer praise type songs would be good, as long as they are not too "wordy" for the 5 yr olds. LOL

First off, theres nothing wrong with her, secondly, she wont, wont, wont participate. She is, well, maybe a little spoiled, comes from a great family, but her self esteem is awful. She doesnt want to embarass herself maybe? Once during craft she colored out of the lines... barely, then she threw the colors down in frustration and started crying.

It wouldnt bother ME if she just stood there, but it bothers her. Last time we tried a song she hid in the back, off to the side. Tried to be invisible.

Thanks again for all the great tips, if anyone has any more, or knows how difficult or easy it will be to figure something out with the varied ages, let me know!
if she wants to hide....let her stand at the back...let her hide behind others if she feels better doing this. Or let her sit in her seat and join in with no one watching her..... lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kaalee

Jul 5, 2006
✟15,151.00
Faith
Baptist
I don't think you have to worry too much about the praise songs being too difficult for the 5 year olds. It is amazing how fast a kid that age can catch on to the words of a song if they hear it often enough. Just think how quick a preschooler can learn the words of The Alphabet Song (or the Barney theme song -- UGH!!!). They are like little sponges when it comes to remembering things that interest them. When you put the motions to it, even if they can't remember the words, they will enjoy participating to their level and the rest will come in time. I think the same can be said of the little girl that is shy. Just let her know that she can stand in the back and do whatever she feels she is able to do. Be sure to encourage her a lot when you see her participate no matter how little it might be. (Could it be that she has been overly criticized about how she does things at home that has torn down her self-confidence?)

Upvote 0

harroun

Jul 7, 2006
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Try a search for Jana Alayra. Her DVD's are fabulous! They are great for all ages, with great hand motions!

Also Uncharted Waters is a group that does Christian Sports Camps, and their music and hand motions are amazing! The kids of all ages at our church loved doing them! On their website is info on how to order the DVD with the songs and hand motions, as well as the CD.

Upvote 0

wendy41899

Jul 8, 2006
Texas
✟15,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you looking for free resources or maybe ones you can purchase?

I can suggestion somewhere to look for ones to purchase. Group Publishing is a good one and they have a dvd that you play and it has the songs, lyrics and shows the kids doing to motions. I am sure they have more than just that one, and Lifeway maybe another place to look. This one is Sing Along Songs from FaithWeaver DVD, it's 16.99.

Upvote 0

JesusTogs

May 12, 2006
N.C.
Visit site
✟128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
wendy41899 said:
Are you looking for free resources or maybe ones you can purchase?

I can suggestion somewhere to look for ones to purchase. Group Publishing is a good one and they have a dvd that you play and it has the songs, lyrics and shows the kids doing to motions. I am sure they have more than just that one, and Lifeway maybe another place to look. This one is Sing Along Songs from FaithWeaver DVD, it's 16.99.
I'm a little late with the reply. I do the Kids Choir at church. Usually I adapt sign language signs to fit the song. Also, we do several Hillsong Kids songs and you can watch their DVD and use some of their actions.

I have found it's REAL important to choose songs with minimal words. Like maybe one verse and one chorus that repeats. We have alot of difficulty with the wordy songs.

Upvote 0

Eve4000

Senior Veteran
Nov 17, 2003
Why should I tell you?
Visit site
✟19,201.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I dunno how many would be good for the older kids, but I know classic children's songs with sign language like "Jesus Loves the Little Children" and "With My Whole heart" would work for the younger kids. And, i dunno if you have time, but I would check out stuff like Psalty and Colby, especially since they are targeted towards kids from 5-12. If I find anything, i'll notify you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lilangelmelanie

Aug 23, 2006
alabama
Visit site
✟7,867.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
well i am in the same boat as you... we're looking for new songs, but I took some newer worship songs from a kids worship cd (shout praises kids & shout praises kids gospel) and I made up my own motions to most of the songs, for example... every move i make, we do the grapvine for those words then for every breath I take i take in you we do motions for breathing in God, then we step forward really silly on every step i take i take in you, then same every breath i breathe I breath in you... then we made up little hand motions for the chorus then wave our hands in the air for the nananananana part... hope that helps, let me know if you have any songs you want ideas for! I'll help as much as possible!!!

Upvote 0

Elboy

Jun 2, 2005
Bristol england!!
✟8,547.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
JesusTogs said:
I'm a little late with the reply. I do the Kids Choir at church. Usually I adapt sign language signs to fit the song. Also, we do several Hillsong Kids songs and you can watch their DVD and use some of their actions.

I have found it's REAL important to choose songs with minimal words. Like maybe one verse and one chorus that repeats. We have alot of difficulty with the wordy songs.

The Hillsong kids dvds are really good!! Its a really good buy espically the new one "super strong god"

El

Upvote 0
S

sealedandfilled

WOW! I was asking this exact same question just a copule of weeks ago and felt like i was up against a brick wall! Thank you all so much for your responses (and for posting the question) I have NO rythem! so somebody else teaching the kids motions on TV would be ever so helpful! God bless you all! I see hope for childrens church again! WOOO HOOO! I'm off to order videos! I love yall!

Upvote 0

dancin_dude

Mar 3, 2006
✟15,187.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hello!

I help with Childrens Church at my church and I am looking to do some songs with the children with hand motions. Does anyone have any ideas how to get started? I suppose I could make up my own hand motions/dance, but I was hoping someone might know of a website or some books to help.

Thanks!
There are four praise dance videos done with kids at http://www.worshipsteps.com. Check the preview clips here or click the image

Upvote 0