Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been thinking about this for the last few days. I've been watching the news, posting news here, observing people's reactions in defense of favorite candidates, etc.

Thinking back on my protestant days when I heard much talk of the antichrist or ideas of the antichrist it was always said that people would fall for him in droves.

While I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that either candidate is the antichrist, the idea that people gets so obsessed with political parties & candidates makes the idea of falling for a public figure not so ridiculous.

This election has been bothering me for months now. But I realize that there will never be any perfect political candidate. Remember the Jewish people expecting their Messiah to be a great political figure & King that would set everything right here on earth? Jesus was not their ideal.

There are many antichrists, big & small. Its discussed in Scripture. Anyone trying to mislead others away from the truth can be considered an antichrist of sorts. Not all that teach or lead should presume to do so, their judgement will be greater. You get the jist of it.

My husband & I were discussing it & I basically said you have to vote for the lesser of the two evils. Perfection will never be found in any candidate or political party. We are all sinful human beings. Blinded by our own actions a lot of the time.

This is why our faith has to come first.

We are never going to have perfection here on earth until Jesus comes again. We need to put our faith first & work within the system we have. This does not mean standing helplessly by & not standing up for what is true & right. Helping to promote justice & the common good. But I think we rely too much on our public figures.

Isn't the Church supposed to be the salt & light in a dark world? Should we as a people be doing more to promote our beliefs & willingness to help the downtrodden? I think our big mistake is relying on things to work from the top to the bottom. Like the failed trickle down economics. We should be working from the ground up.

We should be relying on our faith first before politics. Yes politics are here to stay & we should all participate in the political process. But it does not end there. We have to continue to participate after the elections are over. And it has to be done from the foundation of our faith first. That is our foundation. Everything we do should come from that perspective.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter who you vote for, the faith has to come first. Because no candidate is perfect & there is no reason even in disagreement to set our faith aside to participate in partisan politics.

Politics are going to die with you. The only thing you can take & rely on in eternity is your faith & how you lived it in this life. And how it effected you & others.

I'm tired. While I think it pays to be informed, I'm relying on my faith & whoever gets elected in, I'll pray for them. It's what we are called to do. Just like we are called to be salt & light in the world. If enough of us just decided to be Faith motivated everyday instead of politically motivated there is no telling the difference we could make. Faith knows no boundries. No politician is really going to change the world in any meaningful way. We are. Its what we are called to do and that extends to eternity beyond this life.

Anyway, my drop in the bucket. Its just been on my mind & I needed to vent.

Last edited:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Monica. Been turning it over in my mind & I just think we rely too much on men & policies & not enough on our faith.

We really like to sit around & play armchair quarterback & point. But how often do we actually try to improve things from a perspective of faith?

We're spoiled.

Rotten.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,811.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Michie said: So I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter who you vote for, the faith has to come first.

You're absolutely right, Michie.

And I honestly believe that most human beings are good, and that most people on both sides of the ballot are acting on faith.

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
Isn't the Church supposed to be the salt & light in a dark world? Should we as a people be doing more to promote our beliefs & willingness to help the downtrodden? I think our big mistake is relying on things to work from the top to the bottom. Like the failed trickle down economics. We should be working from the ground up.

You should read my book with me this month....that's what it's all about! :)

Upvote 0

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for starting this thread - the topic has actually been on my mind for days.

It has been alluded to that I am 'on the far right', among other and less kind insinuations. Truth is, I have never voted along party lines. I have voted for both Dem. presidents and Rep. presidents. I vote only after careful and prayerful discernment. I am neither right, left, middle or otherwise - I am a Catholic woman, wife and mother. Period.

This world, and a secular one at that, matters naught. I will not compromise my principles so that it is more pleasing and tickles the ears of another. I long for life eternal with Jesus, and this world is but a blink of an eye in eternity.

I am a Christian before I am an American.

Peace be with you,

Kelly

Upvote 0

Sianelle

Sister Annie
Aug 23, 2008
Hauraki Plains New Zealand.
✟16,277.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This is why our faith has to come first.

Yes O yes! Your post is wonderfully well written and makes for extremely refreshing reading after all the dreary political threads that have been infesting OBOB.

nunapplause.gif

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks everyone. I've really been bothered by a lot concerning this election. But its time to rely on faith & go from that aspect as far as its concerned. There is no cut & dry choice & with the failing economy along with everything else. The only thing a person can do is vote their conscience to vote the lesser of the 2 evils as you see it I suppose.

We need to stop relying on politicians as saviors & really on the the true Savior & our faith. Its the only thing we got. I just think if you operate from that aspect, you can't really go wrong. Especially when it comes to praying for these guys regardless.

And we need to do our part. Working from the ground up. Not sitting around like a bunch of old guys yakking about politics & griping from our easy chairs.

This is the first bit of peace I've had since this political season began. So I'm going with it. :p

I'm at a loss otherwise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.