Something I didn't know about black holes that blew my mind!

May 5, 2010
Southern California
✟15,122.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Many fail to understand that although in Quantum physics, reality is not set in stone; It is when it comes to our perception of it since we are trapped in our 3 dimensions plus that of time.
It does not change our reality. Just like at the plank level everything consists of a chaotic quantum foam where dimensions turn into themselves and wormholes are abundant and time does not exist and all the laws of physics break down; Yet this chaos is the very foundation that our solid and much stable world is built on.
Assuming we could never get out of our own "fishbowl" a la Hawking...Reality is subjective - that would be my statement in a nutshell. But, experientially that is all we know - this reality that we are traversing. I just have a difficult applying a universal concept of "absolute" here...

Admittedly, I am one that is open to the idea that no only does a multiverse potentially exist, but that it might be possible for information to traverse between universes. I can't say I am so sure that we, as a species that evolved within the physics and rules that govern our universe would presumably fare well in another context potentially governed by a different set of physical laws, but information possibly could (even if undecipherable without an understanding the universe from where such information emerged).

A black hole, for example, is simply a phenomena that exhibits observable behavior but, for the most part, beyond our understanding. It is where physics as we know it becomes lost. Which is why theoretical physics can wonder about black holes functioning as wormholes or that our own universe could possibly be contained inside a black hole as part of a larger universe...

That said, I think I can understand and even resonate the perspective that from our perch, there is our reality and that there lies underneath a contained theory of everything (or from a religious perspective a god of sorts that governs although I no longer subscribe to that).

In terms of the Planck unit(s)...I am intrigued by the fact that our universe is, at its essence, could be defined by granularity. However, the irreducible in our universe may not apply in another universe. I guess that is why I have a hard time applying the concept of the absolute in terms of realities. But again...is there an objective core to what makes our own universe tick? I would agree that such an idea characterizes the presumption underneath all we do to understand it.

I would agree - there is a truth to our own universe.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Back to the topic at hand, the same reddit user (named "RobotRollCall") who explained blackholes has just posted an intuitive explanation about why faster than speed isn't possible.
That's the best explanation I've ever heard.

Upvote 0