AlteWolf

Nov 6, 2005
✟15,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
StormeTorque said:
Nice pics - I've done quite a few of the munros, but only in spring and summer. Winter walking with crampons and an ice axe is something I'd like to do eventually though.

I did have a nice winter walk earlier in the year though near Strathyre - the hill was only 500m or so high and the snow was soft, but the views were nice. Here is one of the pics I got,

Hi StormeTorque, nice pic, looks a wee bit Like Ben Ledi above Callander or if taken from the opposite side Stuc A Chroin.

I climbed Ben Ledi many years ago with my young brother. If you get into winter walking/climbing you will get some great photos out and about in Scotland.

Stuc a Chroin and Ben Vorlich are nearby, great winter ascents with not too much difficulty. Good to 'cut your teeth on' :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
AlteWolf said:
I have taken them myself but all credit to ma poor wee camera! except the one of Buchaille Etive Mor in Glencoe previous. I just wanted to include it because it looks so beautiful :)

Here are a couple more for you, I took this one earlier during the summer from the top of the Kehlstein in Southern Bavaria. It looks across over the tranquil Konigsee a crystal clear lake surrounded by steep mountains. Hope you like :wave:

6j.jpg

This is a beautiful wee blue flower on the top of the Kehlstein, not sure what it is but I thought it was beautiful. Isn't God good :)

6r.jpg

This is the little village of Heiligenblut high in the Austrian Mountains again I took it this summer.

9e.jpg

This last one for now shows the Grimsel Pass in Switzerland descending the mountain and rising again up the Furkha Pass.

10d.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the views sisters and brothers :thumbsup:

They are all so breathtakingly beautiful,any idea on their elevation in feet? I was born in Idaho,in the U.S. Rocky Mountains and I know that we have several at 14,000 ft.was just curious how high some of these run?

Upvote 0

AlteWolf

Nov 6, 2005
✟15,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Took this one from the main st in Chamonix looking up towards the Mt Blanc Massif

53a_mt_blanc_from_chamonix.jpg

This is the Petit Dru one of the symbols of 'Alpinism'

61_Mt_Blanc_4.jpg

This one I took looking up the Mere De Glace (Glacier) towards the Grand Jorasse

57_mere_de_glace_and_mt_blanc.jpg

Looking down into Chamonix from the wee cog train up to the Mere De Glace

54_chamonix.jpg

This was our chalet base for exploring the French Alps it was in a beautiful and traditional alpine valley near Manigod

34_leighs_chalet.jpg

Looking down into Switzerland from the Martigny pass

78_martigny_view.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2005
Norway, near the sea
✟53,493.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, Alte Wolf, I was in Chamonix Mont-Blanc with a friend of mine when I was young, and it was awesome!!! So sad that when we were there, the weather was not so very clear the next day, when we had planned to go by cable gondola (is it called that in English??) up to the mountain top and then take another one from a French peak to one of the Italian alp peaks. But we had fun in the village and even walked in a parade with torch lights, but we didn't know why they were marching as there were no banners etc, but they had a real fit ''oompa-music'' band, as they walked so very fast, lol! Did you see the caves in the glacier in Chamonix? They have carved out many rooms with furniture, and everything was of ice! It was exciting! My friend did not want to join me in the cave, so she took a trip on her own up the glacier for a while, while I was inside the ice. I wish I could go back there some time and get up to the peaks and enjoy a most breathtaking view though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlteWolf

Nov 6, 2005
✟15,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
NorwayUnn said:
Wow, Alte Wolf, I was in Chamonix Mont-Blanc with a friend of mine when I was young, and it was awesome!!! So sad that when we were there, the weather was not so very clear the next day, when we had planned to go by cable gondola (is it called that in English??) up to the mountain top and then take another one from a French peak to one of the Italian alp peaks. But we had fun in the village and even walked in a parade with torch lights, but we didn't know why they were marching as there were no banners etc, but they had a real fit ''oompa-music'' band, as they walked so very fast, lol! Did you see the caves in the glacier in Chamonix? They have carved out many rooms with furniture, and everything was of ice! It was exciting! My friend did not want to join me in the cave, so she took a trip on her own up the glacier for a while, while I was inside the ice. I wish I could go back there some time and get up to the peaks and enjoy a most breathtaking view though.

Hi NorwayUnn,

Yes we did here we are in the ice cave. Its not often motorcycle touring gear comes in useful in 30 degrees of heat but it came in useful in there.

Nice place to visit, did you do the one on top of the Jungfrau in Switzerland?

chamonix_ice_caves.jpg

Upvote 0

AlteWolf

Nov 6, 2005
✟15,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
soblessed53 said:
They are all so breathtakingly beautiful,any idea on their elevation in feet? I was born in Idaho,in the U.S. Rocky Mountains and I know that we have several at 14,000 ft.was just curious how high some of these run?

Grossglockner in Austria is 12460 feet. The Petit Dru rises to 12,316 feet. Mt Blanc is 15,780 feet. The Zugspitze is Germany's highest mountain at 9,718 feet. :thumbsup:

Can't compare with your own Denali in Alaska though 20,320 feet :eek: :)

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2005
Norway, near the sea
✟53,493.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AlteWolf said:
Grossglockner in Austria is 12460 feet. The Petit Dru rises to 12,316 feet. Mt Blanc is 15,780 feet. The Zugspitze is Germany's highest mountain at 9,718 feet. :thumbsup:

These are HIGH!! Give me an oxygen mask, pleeeease!!! I think I'm going to faint! *cough cough* :eek: :help: :yawn: :sigh:

Upvote 0

AlteWolf

Nov 6, 2005
✟15,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
NorwayUnn said:
These are HIGH!! Give me an oxygen mask, pleeeease!!! I think I'm going to faint! *cough cough* :eek: :help: :yawn: :sigh:

Some of the 'fairer sex' who are no strangers to lack of Oxygen :eek:

I think some of our so - called 'macho men' these days could learn much from such real Heros as these.

Whilst not exactly my mountain pics, they are most certainly more deserving of mention here than the author of this small thread :thumbsup:

Here they are what do you think? GUYS!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlteWolf

Nov 6, 2005
✟15,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK it aint very high at 2786 feet but here it is, view from Slieve Donard the Highest Mountain in N.I. The wall you can see was built during the 'Great Depression' here 1929 when there was not much work. Lots of local folks joined together and built 'The Mourne Wall'.

It goes for about 26 miles and delineates the boundary of the Belfast Water Commission over 14 mountain tops in a big circle. If you think you are a strong walker most of our guys run this in well under 3 hours :bow:

PS they are quite fit :)

view_from_top_of_NI.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2005
Norway, near the sea
✟53,493.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AlteWolf said:
Some of the 'fairer sex' who are no strangers to lack of Oxygen :eek:

I think some of our so - called 'macho men' these days could learn much from such real Heros as these.

Whilst not exactly my mountain pics, they are most certainly more deserving of mention here than the author of this small thread :thumbsup:

Here they are what do you think? GUYS!

We have'em here too, like for instance Cecilie Skog from our town
cecilie.jpg
K2 and Antarctic is not unfamiliar to this girl and her boyfriend Rolf Bae
bae.jpg
They are in the Antarctic now, hoping to reach the South Pole around Christmas. :thumbsup: Not bad, eh?

Upvote 0

AlteWolf

Nov 6, 2005
✟15,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
NorwayUnn said:
We have'em here too, like for instance Cecilie Skog from our town
cecilie.jpg
K2 and Antarctic is not unfamiliar to this girl and her boyfriend Rolf Bae
bae.jpg
They are in the Antarctic now, hoping to reach the South Pole around Christmas. :thumbsup: Not bad, eh?

Wish I could read your language NorwayUnn but I reckon if anyone can do it they can.
Cecilie looks like a real 'character' :thumbsup:

My kina gal maybe :eek: just kidding, I could never keep up :clap: :)

Thanks NorwayUnn :cool: :cool: :cool:

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sorry soblessed53 just noticed at the end of your post you asked for some heights

quot-top-left.gif
quot-top-right.gif
quot-by-left.gif
Originally Posted by: soblessed53
quot-by-right.gif
quot-top-right-10.gif
quot-bot-left.gif
quot-bot-right.gif

Thank you for those elevations. Yes, Denali is really awesome,but I have never seen it it person,just some of the biggies in the American rockies. I believe the highest I have been in years though was 3,000' in Idaho in '97,so it has been a long time ago, probably around 1960. I know in '58 we lived in Cheyenne,WY, so visited the mile-high city of Denver,CO at least once a month,and went traveling around.

Upvote 0

renaistre

The mountains are calling...
Jan 15, 2004
Santa Clarita, CA
Visit site
✟2,067.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oh wow guys, you all just made my "mountaineering sickness" a whole lot worse. My last trip, which was my first real Serra climb, was in August. In the last few weeks I've really been wanting to go again. Thanks for sharing those pictures.

As far as elevations go, the highest I've been was about 13,200 feet on Mt. Ritter in the Sierras. A friend of mine and I have been talking about putting together a trip from Badwater, in Death Valley, to Mt. Whitney. It would go from the lowest point in the western hemisphere to the highest point in the lower 48 states in about 150 miles. Badwater is several hundred feet below sea level, and Whitney is just under 15,000 feet. I don't know if we will be able to do it, but it would be an awesome trip.

Reactions: NorwayUnn
Upvote 0