Sola Scriptura is overrated, the first christians didn't need it so neither do we.

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Sola Scriptura is overrated, the first christians didn't need it so neither do we.

I honestly don't know what's going on with so many anti-Sola Scriptura posts the last couple days.

For me it comes down to what you consider more authoritative, the inspired word of God, or Church traditions and teachings. For me the Bible will always be of higher authority.

Unfortunately there is just too much in church traditions and teachings that contradicts the word of God.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@amariselle - I love scripture, I find church tradition's understanding of the Sola Scriptura context hinders real conversation of it.
But the early Fathers cited Scripture for their teachings and knew nothing of the theory called
"Holy Tradition." That tradition--in fact and quite obviously so--didn't even have time to produce any doctrines until later; and in the meanwhile, Scripture was the guide in all the churches of the Christian world.

During the first few years only, oral transmission of Christ's teachings was needed as well as Scripture, but that's not Tradition! And the idea that there was some alternative source (to Scripture) of divine revelation equal in authority to Scripture that was supposedly recognized as such by the churches is a myth.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The first Christians lived by it (Acts 17:11). The writers of the NT quoted or alluded to OT Scripture thousands of times to show that it supported what they said and that they didn't deviate from it.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I believe Sola Scriptura is over rated also; Abraham never had it; Noah never had it. It is possible to walk with God with out scripture. Still the scriptures should not be under rated either. The 12 apostles had scripture plus Christ plus the holy Spirit; while they didn't have doctrines of men, they didn't have Sola Scriptura either; Sola Scriptura is also a doctrine of men.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟59,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't forget, there were over 3000 from many countries that went forth filled with The Holy Ghost on The Feast of Pentacost.
I believe they were given revelations by God as they returned to their home lands. And, the gospel can be taught with the OT alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@SkyWriting - Yeah, I know, right? God uses the creation to speak with us.

@Albion - It's hard to say what is a myth and what isn't from this far along in the timeline, the Gospel of John didn't even appear in the writings of the church fathers until the second century, which explains the way it was written. (as if not to the original audience, and insinuations John would be kept alive until the end)

@Soyeong - The Berean passage speaks of non-christians prior to conversion. As it is written, the righteous live by faith, and as James who spoke to the Jews of his day elaborated, those works were characteristic of the love Jesus showed when he was here. It's not about the code written on tablets of stone, but about the nature/law God has written on our hearts as was prophesied about this covenant.

@The Hammer of Witches - Yes, man's traditions always have flaws.

@sparow - Yeah, basically. Living by faith in God is difficult, living by faith in written words is significantly easier. The difference in experience churns out different kinds of disciples.

@Grafted In - The good news as related by SkyWriting, can be communicated with anything in the creation ... including scripture. Though the correlation to the law was more for the Jews at the time of Christ, as their theology has changed since then .. it may not speak to them.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟59,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@SkyWriting - Yeah, I know, right? God uses the creation to speak with us.

@Albion - It's hard to say what is a myth and what isn't from this far along in the timeline, the Gospel of John didn't even appear in the writings of the church fathers until the second century, which explains the way it was written. (as if not to the original audience, and insinuations John would be kept alive until the end)

@Soyeong - The Berean passage speaks of non-christians prior to conversion. As it is written, the righteous live by faith, and as James who spoke to the Jews of his day elaborated, those works were characteristic of the love Jesus showed when he was here. It's not about the code written on tablets of stone, but about the nature/law God has written on our hearts as was prophesied about this covenant.

@The Hammer of Witches - Yes, man's traditions always have flaws.

@sparow - Yeah, basically. Living by faith in God is difficult, living by faith in written words is significantly easier. The difference in experience churns out different kinds of disciples.

@Grafted In - The good news as related by SkyWriting, can be communicated with anything in the creation ... including scripture. Though the correlation to the law was more for the Jews at the time of Christ, as their theology has changed since then .. it may not speak to them.

Fair enough, but with a good understanding of OT scripture and the indwelling of The Holy Spirit anyone can preach the gospel without the NT.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@Grafted In - If the apostles did it, I don't see why anyone else indwelt with the Holy Spirit couldn't also. Though success may vary because to fully proclaim the gospel involves miracles as a demonstration.

Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. (Romans 15:19)

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sola Scripture, in my opinion, is this-

The Lord instructed his disciples to teach all nations what to observe. No need for any new apostle because the ones who gave us scripture already gave us the Lords command. Thus, sola scripture is enough

Teachers are not needed, the idea that we can follow teachers is not what the Lord had in mind. The teachers are supposed to teach us to follow Christ, not teachers.

THe doctrine is simple. The least are the greatest, not the teachers but the servant. What do we need teachers for anyway? What are we taught that is so hard to understand? The commands are simple, and via fellowship and scripture we can grow together.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@W2L - Regrettably, Sola Scriptura has been a doctrine long enough for it to prevent people from discussing scripture according to what it says. Sola Scriptura unfortunately is about the teachers, that's why I dislike it, and what it is iconic of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@W2L - Regrettably, Sola Scriptura has been a doctrine long enough for it to prevent people from discussing scripture according to what it says. Sola Scriptura unfortunately is about the teachers, that's why I dislike it, and what it is iconic of.

I see your point, I dislike denominationalism. I dislike the whole authority appeal made by certain churches as well. However, without sola scripture that's all we have are teachers who teach what we want to hear rather than sound doctrine. Paul said the spirit prophesied that a time would come when people no longer endure sound doctrine, but would instead heap to themselves teachers having itching ears to hear what they want to hear.

I am concerned that this anti sola scripture agenda, is either an attempt to assert an appeal to a certain denominations supposed authority, or in other cases a ploy to take us away from sound doctrine and follow new age teachers instead.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They all upheld Scripture though, but wrote Scripture themselves in light of Christ.
And what else is there to go / test things by other than God inspired writings?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@W2L - I tend to see sola scriptura as the agenda. I tend to use scripture with everything else God speaks to me through as a compliment. The focus has become too imbalanced, so I reject it.

@Hieronymus - The scripture refers to creation as a reliable source of wisdom from God, The New Testament speaks of the Holy Spirit who leads us into all truth, A peace that surpasses understanding, and a love that surpasses knowledge. There are some things that can only be learned by being intimate with God. The scripture is useful, but not the only way God uses to teach us.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@W2L - I tend to see sola scriptura as the agenda. I tend to use scripture with everything else God speaks to me through as a compliment. The focus has become too imbalanced, so I reject it.

@Hieronymus - The scripture refers to creation as a reliable source of wisdom from God, The New Testament speaks of the Holy Spirit who leads us into all truth, A peace that surpasses understanding, and a love that surpasses knowledge. There are some things that can only be learned by being intimate with God. The scripture is useful, but not the only way God uses to teach us.
I reject anything that contradicts scripture.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I reject anything that contradicts scripture.
Ditto.
It's the (written) Word of God.
And we're supposed to test everything, and Scripture stands the test.

Upvote 0