small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I suspect that the story of Sodom and Gomorrah is based on a real but natural event. Consensus among scholars is that the two towns were located on the shore of the Dead Sea in an area where there were near surface deposits of bitumen (pitch). The demand for this product contributed to their wealth. The area is also known for near surface deposits of natural gas which will occasionally vent to the surface and possibly catch fire if conditions are right. I suspect that this may be what happened --- a large venting of gas set alight by cooking fires. The resulting conflagration could easily be interpreted as a divine judgment. There are also quite natural salt pillars in the area and these got incorporated into the story as well.

The homosexual aspect to this story is interesting as well. The story does not give any indication of a homosexual "orientation" in the sense of being loving, caring or committed. What is portrayed is an attempt at homosexual rape. As with heterosexual rape this has little to do with sex but is rather all about domination and submission. Both forms of rape have been practiced in many cultures for millennia. This is a gross failure of the towns to practice the ancient middle eastern tradition of hospitality toward strangers. Ezekiel 16:9 "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

We are left with Lot attempting to forestall the homosexual rape by offering his daughters to be used sexually instead. And he is regarded as a just man? That is something that I cannot explain.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The account is in Genesis, and it involved more than Sodom and Gomorrah, there were other cities around them --it was the whole land of Zoar. So if they find a burned out city, which they have, it may not be Sodom or Gomorrah, but one of the others.

Jud_1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Gen_19:24 Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;
Gen_19:28 And he looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and beheld, and, lo, the smoke of the country went up as the smoke of a furnace.
Deu_29:23 And that the whole land thereof is brimstone, and salt, and burning, that it is not sown, nor beareth, nor any grass groweth therein, like the overthrow of Sodom, and Gomorrah, Admah, and Zeboim, which the LORD overthrew in his anger, and in his wrath:
Gen 19:29 And it came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt.

Zoar:
Gen_13:10 And Lot lifted up his eyes, and beheld all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered every where, before the LORD destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, even as the garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt, as thou comest unto Zoar.
Gen_14:2 That these made war with Bera king of Sodom, and with Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela, which is Zoar.
Gen_14:8 And there went out the king of Sodom, and the king of Gomorrah, and the king of Admah, and the king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (the same is Zoar and they joined battle with them in the vale of Siddim;

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where specifically is this at in the book of Exodus?

Bible tells the signs that could be found from the place where those cities were. For example:

Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;
Gen. 19:24

If that happened, we should find signs of that. On basis of what the Exodus books says, there is signs of that event in Masada plateau.

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/sodom_&_gomorrah.htm

But I don’t think Bible mentions word Masada Plateau, so it is possible that this is just some other thing.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1) Where were Sodom and Gomorrah located?

It seems to me from the conversation which took place near Bethel in Gen. 13 (between Abram and Lot) that Sodom and Gomorrah were located either where the Dead Sea is today or at the northern end of the Dead Sea. Bethel is at the far northern end of the Dead Sea, so this would be the only logical location.

2) How did God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?

My suggestion is that he destroyed it through a comet strike. Regardless, the means of destruction was clearly devastating because Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt.

3) What are the theological implications of this destruction?

Sodom and Gomorrah are clearly important theologically because they are mentioned elsewhere in Scripture. Particularly notable is Christ's reference to them regarding the time of his return. Particularly important questions are why God intervenes at the point in time which he does and how long God will wait before intervening to stop evil. Also, the "outcry" that God speaks of when talking about Sodom and Gomorrah is significant. Exactly what is this "outcry"?
Bethel is in mountainous country north of Jerusalem; north of Ramallah and south of Samaria. Abraham had flocks and was nomadic. Nomadic peoples were known to wander for miles, even hundreds of miles in their lifetimes, in search of pasture and watering rights for their livestock.

Most people looking to locate the setting for this story looked around the southern end of the Dead Sea where there are natural pillars of salt formed from the evaporation of the Dead Sea. The Israelis and Jordanians are mining the Dead Sea salts for they contain valuable potash - potassium chloride used in fertilizer.

The importance of the tale of Sodom and Gomorrah is the belief that God is more willing to rescue the righteous from natural disasters than the wicked. In Genesis, both Noah and Lot were warned to escape coming disaster. They obeyed God's word and were saved. Their neighbors had rejected God's word and could not be saved.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The importance of the tale of Sodom and Gomorrah is the belief that God is more willing to rescue the righteous from natural disasters than the wicked. In Genesis, both Noah and Lot were warned to escape coming disaster. They obeyed God's word and were saved. Their neighbors had rejected God's word and could not be saved.

The importance of the historic account of Sodom and Gomorrah (like the account of the world wide flood) is to remind people that God has a probationary limit for mankind - and once it is crossed - judgment follows ... yet God will not abandon the righteous in that judgment.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Leviticus 20:13 King James Version (KJV)
13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Luke 17
26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.
27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

Sodom was not destroyed due to "they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;" they were destroyed due to their unrighteousness mainly perverted sex.

So if Homosexuality is a sin that is found in the Laws that Moses wrote, as dictated by GOD to him, why are not the other laws that he wrote that could not be fulfilled not in effect, IE clean and unclean meats ect? (Christ fulfilled the Sanctuary law)
Matthew 4:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
I try to fellowship as much as I am able with followers of Jesus Christ regardless of their particular understandings ( revelations ) Protestants , 7th day , etc. I am not even sure where I fit in ...I do believe that Christ is the Word of God that proceeded out of God's mouth and I live by and through Him . Whereas prior to Christ I had no objections to adultery or basically any sin since I was a product of public schools and society. I chased wealth and success because that is what I was taught. Now God has written His Laws on my heart so obviously I desire to observe the 10 commandments ...not sure about the meat thing ..I don't really believe it can defile me because it can not defile others unlike my words ( I will give an account of every idle word. ) And I believe everyday is the Sabbath. I know 7th days still observe only one day (Saturday ) which is of course the Sabbath under the earthly covenant and protestants observe Sunday ( which like every day is the Lord's day but not the actual"Sabbath". Of course what is not God's ? I think Paul gives allowance for those who only observe one day and others who for whom everyday is special. Those who don't eat meat/drink wine , etc. My main concearn is to have love. ( Paul obviously lacked that but kept everything elese just fine. ) Regarding Sodom ...take a look at Ezekiel 16:49 ..I believe their sexual sins were a product of pride, fullness of bread , idleness of hands and not dealing their bread to the poor and needy. Quite frankly that sounds a lot like the richest , most powerful nation on earth.
May God's truth be glorified through His Son Jesus who bought us with HIS blood !

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
We are left with Lot attempting to forestall the homosexual rape by offering his daughters to be used sexually instead. And he is regarded as a just man? That is something that I cannot explain.

Because he thought that the men who came into his house were his sons. Lot valued everyone equally.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Because he thought that the men who came into his house were his sons. Lot valued everyone equally.

Genesis 19:6 Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him 7 and said, ‘No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.’

So Lot thought these men were his sons and he suggests they commit incest with their sisters. OK, I guess I'll just have to accept that Lot was a righteous man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Genesis 19:6 Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him 7 and said, ‘No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.’

So Lot thought these men were his sons and he suggests they commit incest with their sisters. OK, I guess I'll just have to accept that Lot was a righteous man.

He valued them all equally. Obviously I'm not talking about thinking someone is literally your biological relation.

"29 Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and for the gospel’s sake, 30 but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in [j]the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life." Mk. 10:29-30 (NASB)

He valued the men who came in to him that day the same as his daughters. Lot valued them all equally, just as God values them all equally. He was a righteous man.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
He valued the men who came in to him that day the same as his daughters. Lot valued them all equally, just as God values them all equally. He was a righteous man.

He valued everyone so much that he offered his daughters to be raped. No,Lot was not a righteous man.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
He valued everyone so much that he offered his daughters to be raped. No,Lot was not a righteous man.

You have to understand the concept of "hospitality" in the middle east at that time. It was a point of honor that a guest must be safeguarded, taken care of at the expense of even the rest of the family. It was considered more honorable that the daughters be used for sex than that the guests be sodomized. It was still an objectionable act, but the male guests simply could not be sodomized in his home, less of a sin for his daughters to be violated. We do not have that understanding of the depth of hospitality that they did. It was unthinkable for a guest to be dishonored in your home.

Reactions: Achilles6129
Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible records the errors as well as the virtues of people. Job is not commended for offering his daughters to the men of Sodom, (Genesis 19) nor was Abraham commended for allowing another man to take his wife (Genesis 20).

Job was rescued because he was a godly man, meaning he worshipped God. I am glad God does not judge us by our mistakes for mine have been great.

2 Peter 2:7-9 NRSV
and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man greatly distressed by the licentiousness of the lawless (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by their lawless deeds that he saw and heard), then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trial, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟25,275.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you are correct, sadly. While valuing the angels/visitors as sons answers well for Lot in the first case, we also need an answer to why Lot was living in wicked Sodom in the first place, and this reason will do nicely for that. Lot's choice of where to live was not in anyone's best interest.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Here's the passage:

"20 And the Lord said, “The outcry of Sodom and Gomorrah is indeed great, and their sin is exceedingly grave. 21 I will go down now, and see if they have done entirely according to its outcry, which has come to Me; and if not, I will know.”" Gen. 18:20-21 (NASB)

https://www.blueletterbible.org/nasb/gen/18/1/ss1/s_18001

There appear to be two words used for outcry: #2201 and #6818.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=H2201&t=NASB

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=H6818&t=NASB

From studying the words there does seem to be some sort of idea of an outcry against the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, as though someone who has been wronged is crying out against them. A similar concept is found in Revelation:

"9 When the Lamb broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained; 10 and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O [k]Lord, holy and true, [l]will You refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”" Rev. 6:9 (NASB)

Also compare:

"10 He said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother’s blood is crying to Me from the ground." Gen. 4:10

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0