✟1,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Abongil said:
Or is it you with your head stuck in the sand listening to your little story book that you put so much faith in. NOTHING can prove the Bible right.
Are you sure about that?
Because, last time I've checked, archeologists and geologists have already proved that the two cities were actually burnt to the ground AND there are ancient archives that prove it too!

It was about 1900 years before Christ that the catastrophic destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah took place. The following was written by a scholar by the name of Jack Finnigan, "A careful examination of literary, geological and archaeological evidence comes to the conclusion that the corrupt cities of the plain lay in the area which is now submerged beneath the slowly rising waters of the southern section of the Dead Sea "
The mineral content of the water is so thick that you can't sink. Finnigan continues, "And their destruction came about through a great earthquake (this is what he believed happened) which was probably accompanied by explosions, lightning and issue of natural gas and general conflagration." This all happened about 1900 B.C. That was the time of Abraham. This is the time the scriptures say it happens.
The historian Josephus said the Dead Sea extended from Jericho as far as Zoar. Now Zoar was the city to which Lot fled when God was destroying Sodom & Gomorrah…all three of which are part of the Jordan Valley.
The Jordan Valley is part of a huge fracture (crack) in the earth's crust.
According to geologists, around 2,000 B.C., which is the time of Sodom's judgement, this area literally plunged into an abyss or hole.
In his book, Historical Geography of the Holy Land, G. A. Smith comments concerning the area where Sodom & Gomorrah is located, "No other part of the world, which is not underwater, lies deeper than 300 feet below sea level."
Some scientists speculate the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah resulted from underground volcanoes erupting or great meteors falling to Earth on the two cities. So God said he was going to rain out of Heaven. A volcano could have showered them, or possibly a meteor could have come down and obliterated these two cities. In either case, brimstone, which is sulfur in its solid state, would have been a major ingredient. The Dead Sea is polluted with sulfur deposits. It is one of the richest deposits of minerals in the world. God said fire and brimstone.
Sanchuniathon, the Phoenician priest, used these words in his ancient historical writings, which have now been rediscovered. "The veil of Siddim sank and became a lake always evaporating and containing no fish." Fish still don't live in the Dead Sea. Until just recently, due to gases emitted from the Dead Sea, a bird could not fly across the Dead Sea without dying.
The Phoenician priest said it is a symbol of vengeance and death of the transgressor. Remember now, this is a Phoenician Priest, not a Jewish Priest. This is not Christianity speaking; this is in the ancient archives.
Writing shortly after the time of Jesus, the Jewish historian Joesephus noted that it was possible to see the remains of ancient cities south of the Dead Sea, known as the "Lake of Asphalt" or the "Sea of Salt." Since at least the first century before Christ, historians have placed Biblical cities of the plain of Sodom, Gommorah, Admah, Zeboim and Bela in that region. In one last statement the author writes, "Sodom and Gommorah have become synonymous for vice and godlessness. Sexual acts eluded to in connection with the residents of Sodom and Gommorah are the basis for the contemporary term "sodomy."

Reference:

G. A. Smith, Historical Geography of the Holy Land.

Werner Keller, The Bible as History.

"Atlas of the Bible," Readers Digest, 1981.

"Great People of the Bible and How They Lived," Reader's Digest, 1974.

Robert Silvergerg, Sunken History.

J. P. Free, Archaeology and Bible History.

H. Halley, Halley's Bible Hardbook.

Upvote 0

Abongil

Veteran
May 3, 2006
✟16,603.00
Faith
Atheist
JohnR7 said:
Well, to get back on subject for the thread. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. Right now there is scientific evidence that they were destroyed, but people can not accept that it was an act of God. They feel it was a "natural" event. Is this not unusual for two cities to be destoryed in the same way at the some time in this way?

Sure, Pompeii and Herculaneum were destroyed at the same time in the same way, perhaps there was a geolagic vent that opened and shot lava bombs out of it, after going up for about a half mile and landing on the cities it would seem that it was fire coming from the sky.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
JohnR7 said:
In another thread I was asked about Sodom and Gomorrah and how archeologists show that the Bible is true. Here is a discription of the History Channel's DVD that they have available on that program:
Interesting.

But I think that one indication might be that it took so long for the diobolical practices of the men of sodom to spread. It took till the end of the world here for it to get rampant again. Just as Jesus said. That's why He had to wipe em out back then. Give men some time. If it spread too fast, man's rule on earth would have ended long ago.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Abongil said:
Wait... isnt it YOU who said radiometric dating was unreliable?
It does not matter if I think it is reliable or not. What matters is if you think it is reliable. If you do not think it is trustworthy, that is fine, I can deal with that.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Abongil said:
I think it is reliable, yet you cannot prove your point if you do not believe in it.

I can prove my point because for my part I am able to give you a date from the Bible. If your carbon 14 date matches the date from the Bible, then we have scientific evidence that the event took place at the same time. It is easy to come up with a date, because Lot lived at the same time as Abraham. We know when God put Adam and Eve in the Garden. We know when Noah's flood took place. We know when Abraham was alive and when David was alive and King of Isreal. We can give you a date from the Bible for all of these.

Upvote 0

Abongil

Veteran
May 3, 2006
✟16,603.00
Faith
Atheist
JohnR7 said:
I can prove my point because for my part I am able to give you a date from the Bible. If your carbon 14 date matches the date from the Bible, then we have scientific evidence that the event took place at the same time. It is easy to come up with a date, because Lot lived at the same time as Abraham. We know when God put Adam and Eve in the Garden. We know when Noah's flood took place. We know when Abraham was alive and when David was alive and King of Isreal. We can give you a date from the Bible for all of these.

So you will accept C-14 dating ONLY when it deals with the Bible? So you wotn acept it when we show firepits in the Americas being 11,000 years old? Thats hypocritical.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Abongil said:
So you will accept C-14 dating ONLY when it deals with the Bible?

The question is not what I accept, the question is what you accept. I do not have any vested interest one way or the other. I accept YEC, I accept GAP and I accept OEC all at the same time. I think all three of them are true and I accept the evidence for all three of them. I also accept both YEC beliefs that a day was a literal 24 hour day. I also believe that a day was 1000 years. You are the one that does not accept the evidence for any of that and you reject all of it. Yet you have the gaul to accuse me of being hypocritical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
JohnR7 said:
The question is not what I accept, the question is what you accept. I do not have any vested interest one way or the other. I accept YEC, I accept GAP and I accept OEC all at the same time. I think all three of them are true and I accept the evidence for all three of them. I also accept both YEC beliefs that a day was a literal 24 hour day. I also believe that a day was 1000 years. You are the one that does not accept the evidence for any of that and you reject all of it. Yet you have the gaul to accuse me of being hypocritical.
The mind boggles.

Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟735,103.00
Faith
Humanist
JohnR7 said:
That's great John. In that case I suppose you also accept that the world was created Last Thursday by the grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's noodly appendages?

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Herman Hedning said:
That's great John. In that case I suppose you also accept that the world was created Last Thursday by the grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's noodly appendages?

If it is contrary to the Bible he should not accept it.

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Asimov said:
***! We found Troy so that proves that Troy ACTUALLY existed, and that the city was REALLY. That would prove another ACTUAL SOMETHING regarding the Iliad.

Praise Zeus, for he is the true God....based on the fact that Troy existed. That's quite the leap.

The Illiad by Homer does not claim divine inspiration. Homer does not indicate that he spoke to the Holy Spirit. There is historic evidence for some of the story. It was also written centuries after the fall of Troy. CHRIST said HE was GOD's SON. CHRIST even indicated that HE was the GREAT I AM of Genesis. CHRIST whose life was recorded by people HE personally chose and to whom HE sent the HOLY SPIRIT, gives full credibility to everything found in the OLD TESTAMENT. CHRIST preached it. Homer is but a man publishing a story he heard. Funny that you seem to believe Homer's story more than Christ's....

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Herman Hedning said:
the world was created Last Thursday by the grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's noodly appendages?

Is that really what you believe. Or is that just something you threw out there to waste all of our time?
Did you ever think that maybe you could make a little bit more productive use of your time?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
MrGoodBytes said:
The mind boggles.

I imagine it would boggle the mind. BUT when you consider how much people believe what they believe, then it is reasonable to think that there must be some truth in it. It would boggle the mind more if there was no truth at all in what they strongly believed to be true.

Upvote 0

OdwinOddball

Atheist Water Fowl
Jan 3, 2006
Birmingham, AL
✟22,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
JohnR7 said:
I imagine it would boggle the mind. BUT when you consider how much people believe what they believe, then it is reasonable to think that there must be some truth in it. It would boggle the mind more if there was no truth at all in what they strongly believed to be true.

Ya, we really need an emote of a hand going over someones head, cause you totoally missed what he was saying there. The sarcasm is literally dripping off that post.

Upvote 0

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
JohnR7 said:
I imagine it would boggle the mind. BUT when you consider how much people believe what they believe
It's just that most people's beliefs, I don't know, DON'T CONTRADICT THEMSELVES LIKE YOURS DO.

And the rest of your post is argumentum ad numerum. Everybody does it, so it must be true.

Upvote 0