1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

socializing at church

Discussion in 'Anxiety, Panic & Agoraphobia' started by janny108, Dec 6, 2009.

1. janny108

janny108 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Calvary-Chapel
    When you see ppl socializing at church when it's over, and you see them in 2's or 3's do you join one of them or leave, etc.? I hesitate to this because of they might be talking about something specific which I have no real part in.

2. RuthD

RuthD Forgiveness is so important. Supporter

Faith:
    Christian
    I think I would walk up to a lady who is alone and talk to her. That's just because I don't feel like getting involved with a man at the moment. I would start out slow with talking to one person first then maybe 2 and so on. I don't think they would mind if you joined them. You could introduce yourself to them maybe. Just my 2 cents.

3. Amhacajo

Amhacajo Turn worry into wonder...

Faith:
    Christian
    *sigh* This is exactly the part of church that I really don't like. Talking to anyone new is so painstaking that I usually stick with the 'safe' people. I have really lapsed in working on this one.

4. janny108

janny108 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Calvary-Chapel
    I think a lot of times when I observe ppl talking they are talking either about ministry things I may not be part of or length of time they've known each other.
    I had car trouble last Sun and someone took me home and we had a nice chat in the car. I did not really have the opp to talk to anyone else.

5. AngelicRose

AngelicRose Regular Member

Faith:
    Christian
    I can barely go to Mass without shaking--- if I'm not with someone I know I'm horribly anxious. Now that I've been attending church with my boyfriend, I feel soo much better. It's so odd and I'm not sure why I'm like this.

Around September my anxiety went away for about 2-3 months and now recently it's back full swing. I'm usually okay when I'm around my bf but since I work full-time its not like I can always be around him. I know he's like my security blanket :)

Anyways, at church I'll say hello to the priest and that's about it. I've started praying the Rosary to calm myself and not have to worry about chatting with a stranger. I hate the idea of talking to a stranger because I grew up with a lisp and even though I don't really have it any more, I over concentrate on how I pronounce words.

Now that I have Sean (my bf) with me, I find myself wanting to do more at the church. My goal for this month is to go down to the fellowship hall after Mass when we have a monthly get-to-together with coffee and snacks. Something small, but big for me :)