Social Problems/Alienation in the 21st Century

• Thread starter SpiritualAntiseptic
  • Start date
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

***Warning***

This topic might not be good for your self esteem. If you need to be reassured every five minutes by society, then read no further. If everything that has gone wrong in your life is the fault of someone else, this topic is NOT for you! Go elsewhere. There are many self-assurance videos on the internet. You might get 'offended'. Unlike your government school teachers, I am not here to say that you are special and that is a good thing.

As an uneducated useless observer of modern society, I have taken note of the ills of (Anglo)-western culture in this century.

What's the deal with this new generation the millennials (1981+)? We went from a generation (X) of latchkey kids that valued independence and rebellion to a group of internet addicted kids who need affirmation from their parents, peers, co-workers and co-students. God forbid that anyone correct them on anything. Why on Earth was this generation taught that the only thing that matters is the approval of others? What the west needed to teach people was that world was about to get really bad, really quick. They better learn that they have nothing to offer by virtue of being 'you' and the only thing the world gives a heck about is their ability to contribute to the profitability of a company. I'm sorry Timmy, your grade school teacher should have been telling you that you are only as valuable as what you contribute to society, not that you were valuable because you are Timmy.

What's the deal with the kids that spend all their time on the internet and complain they don't have friends and romantic interests? Oh, and that guy/girl you met on World of Warcraft doesn't count. Please spare me the spiel about how God has called you to celibacy or God just hasn't 'shown you the right spouse yet'. You want to know how your parents met and their parents and their parents before them for the last 950,000,000 years? At social functions. Yes, your ancestors were finding mates at social gatherings long before, fire and tools- and when they were still swinging on trees with their tails- yet you want to get all puffy eyed because no girl/guy has shown up at your mom's house and proposed to you?

Oh, you are a Christian? Guess what- all the social extroverts were snatched up between 19-24 years of age at 'church'. Then there are those that got married to have sex and are part of the divorsee group. God forbid anyone show interest in a woman that isn't a virgin. Oh, and she has a kid? That is unacceptable... nevermind the fact that you make a big deal about abortion and its evil and then reject a woman for having a baby.

Then, there are those of you who have poor body image. Boohoo. Guess what, for the most part, you have total control of your image. You just choose not to invest in it. Yes, you can actually control your weight. Show me a non-human primate that is overweight and I'll show you are carnival fake. Every animal primps and grooms and dances their feathers and fur to attract a mate.

Shoot me, hate me. I am the voice crying out from this 21st Century wilderness. Every human being has limitless potential. Yet, we all want to return to serfdom, whether it be psychological, social or geo-political. Your uneducated useless observer of modern society.

Reactions: Rhye

IreneAdler

more binah in her finger than in your whole body
Oct 12, 2009
✟22,392.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
***Warning***

This topic might not be good for your self esteem. If you need to be reassured every five minutes by society, then read no further. If everything that has gone wrong in your life is the fault of someone else, this topic is NOT for you! Go elsewhere. There are many self-assurance videos on the internet. You might get 'offended'. Unlike your government school teachers, I am not here to say that you are special and that is a good thing.

As an uneducated useless observer of modern society, I have taken note of the ills of (Anglo)-western culture in this century.

What's the deal with this new generation the millennials (1981+)? We went from a generation (X) of latchkey kids that valued independence and rebellion to a group of internet addicted kids who need affirmation from their parents, peers, co-workers and co-students. God forbid that anyone correct them on anything. Why on Earth was this generation taught that the only thing that matters is the approval of others? What the west needed to teach people was that world was about to get really bad, really quick. They better learn that they have nothing to offer by virtue of being 'you' and the only thing the world gives a heck about is their ability to contribute to the profitability of a company. I'm sorry Timmy, your grade school teacher should have been telling you that you are only as valuable as what you contribute to society, not that you were valuable because you are Timmy.

What's the deal with the kids that spend all their time on the internet and complain they don't have friends and romantic interests? Oh, and that guy/girl you met on World of Warcraft doesn't count. Please spare me the spiel about how God has called you to celibacy or God just hasn't 'shown you the right spouse yet'. You want to know how your parents met and their parents and their parents before them for the last 950,000,000 years? At social functions. Yes, your ancestors were finding mates at social gatherings long before, fire and tools- and when they were still swinging on trees with their tails- yet you want to get all puffy eyed because no girl/guy has shown up at your mom's house and proposed to you?

Oh, you are a Christian? Guess what- all the social extroverts were snatched up between 19-24 years of age at 'church'. Then there are those that got married to have sex and are part of the divorsee group. God forbid anyone show interest in a woman that isn't a virgin. Oh, and she has a kid? That is unacceptable... nevermind the fact that you make a big deal about abortion and its evil and then reject a woman for having a baby.

Then, there are those of you who have poor body image. Boohoo. Guess what, for the most part, you have total control of your image. You just choose not to invest in it. Yes, you can actually control your weight. Show me a non-human primate that is overweight and I'll show you are carnival fake. Every animal primps and grooms and dances their feathers and fur to attract a mate.

Shoot me, hate me. I am the voice crying out from this 21st Century wilderness. Every human being has limitless potential. Yet, we all want to return to serfdom, whether it be psychological, social or geo-political. Your uneducated useless observer of modern society.
While I agree it's not good to be overly invested in what other people think, you also have to realize that what other people think is important (say your employer for one) and that choosing to ignore others opinions is counter productive. Being true to yourself has some merit, but let's face it, sometimes being "you" the way you are right now, doesn't cut it and you need to do something different for yourself and everyone else's sake. If you cannot accept criticism and grow because of it, whether personally or productivity wise, you won't go very far as a human being.

As for singleness and the internet, I think alot of that has to do with how the impersonal interaction diminishes someone's "people skills". I fight with my teenager often about getting out and being social as opposed to living on that stupid box (computer). Thankfully she's developing outside interests and friends now, but if you don't make a point of controlling your children, they will do whatever they want, most likely unhealthy. Initially this is a parenting issue, and after adulthood, a self responsibility issue. I struggle with personal interaction, not because I was on the computer, but because my parents were socially isolated. Guess who's responsibility it is to fix it? Me.

I agree with the bolded part because I've been there.

And lastly, on the poor body image, you're right, it's people's way of thinking... however, not everyone was raised with the faculties to be able to deal with these issues on their own. I am anorexic for a variety of reasons. My youth involved comments like "at least you're not fat like your sister". Nurture (or lack there of) has a huge impact on our psychological development. People need to make the effort to get healthy one way or the other, but you can't expect them to just "poof" change their way of thinking. It doesn't work that way. It takes time and alot of hard work.

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
***Warning***

I blame Mr. Rogers. In all seriousness, I blame the culture that teaches kids that they're winners no matter what. What does that prepare them for in life? The only affirmation you should need is from yourself. Can you sit back at the end of the day, look back on the things you've done and be proud of what you've done? It's not always about making six or seven figures, but certainly it has to do with making the best with what you have. I was raised by hard working parents, so I learned the value of hard work early in life.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head. You can't meet anyone if you don't try.

I've been involved with a single mother before. It's not really a big deal in the end.

Will is everything in this case.

Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The only real affirmation you need is to look at the fact that Christ died for your sins. You are loved. OK, get it? LOVED. Doesn't mean you poo rainbows but it does mean you don't need the approval of any man or woman.

He died because you're not perfect. Which means we need to stop pretending we are and acknowledge our humanity in its messy horrible yuckiness.

This doesn't give us license to go hide away and not socialize. We are a family and need to treat each other with respect, because that's a part of love, which means tough love is sometimes needed. Love is honest and supportive. Love encourages character development and responsibility.

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
***Warning***

The other thing this generation has been taught besides "approval of others" which I do agree with, is "me me me", "I want that", "I need that right now" Oh and my personal favorite "I deserve this". Honestly, everyone deserves nothing. Plain and simple.

I agree with this to a certain extent. In most cases yes, I do agree people just need to get out there and get friends and spouses the old fashion way of meeting them somewhere. But in some cases I feel like everyone is different and to be honest sometimes it's really hard to meet someone if you're not that "Im popular, I've always been popular, I'm very social, I'm handsome/pretty and I always have been." and you're more of a "I'm shy, I'm not outgoing, I do have a great personality but it takes awhile for it to shine through, I wasn't popular, I have different values than others" then sometimes it really is hard to meet someone at an old fashioned get together. So with that being said, the internet IMO does count and if you meet someone who shares those same things as you and likes you for who you are personality wise and not just looks wise then more power to ya. No I don't think one should sit around and wait for their knight and shining armour to show up randomly without them doing their share of the work to find that knight. If you want someone, go find them. Even if you are said shy person who doesn't have outrageous social skills, there are still ways.

I like the other part agree with this half and disagree with half. I agree that there are plenty of people who get married just to have sex. Do I think that's right? No. More and more people do it because of their said "morals". But they dont think about morals when they're getting divorced because the guy/girl "isn't who they married". I do disagree about the woman who isn't a virgin/has a kid. I think it's just the opposite, I think that is fine while people who avoid women who are virgins like we're the plague. Like we're not as great as someone who isn't a virgin. Or "experienced" or whatever you'd like to tell yourself. Yes, everyone has an ideal of what they want their SO to look like, some want a virgin, some don't. Whatever floats your boat. But I'm not liking where every where I go losing your virginity is crammed down my throat as if virginity is some nuissence you just need to get rid of to be a "whole person".

I feel like the last part about abortion and rejecting a woman with a baby is more focused towards the guys.

Yes as humans we do have control of our body image and me for example: I like who I am, what I look like and I don't feel the need to change for anyone. If you dont like the way I look.. tough. :p But I feel sorry for those who don't like the way they look because honestly I feel like God made them in His image and it's insulting Him when one says they think they're ugly = you're calling God's features ugly. That's just me. Sure I'm not fond of a few things about me, but I don't go around worrying about them and I dont think Im ugly.

I think that every once in awhile people do need to hear things like this. I don't agree with everything you said, but I dont hate you for what you said. Honestly half of the things you said I feel the same way about. I think people really need to change and as a Christian I feel like they need to be more in tune with God instead of in tune with anything else.

Upvote 0

Blueforest

Created well and commanded to be sick
Jun 10, 2011
✟1,191.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
***Warning***

I completely agree with what you wrote. I could kiss you, in fact. I won't. But I could.

The stuff about people whining over no mate and claiming to have no control over their body image is 100% true. People like to place blame on everyone but themselves to alleviate the pain they experience. It's much easier to blame others than to accept responsibility for your actions and make some changes. People expect a magical person to fall out from the sky and suddenly be in love with them (when they have nothing to even offer). That is foolish.

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I wanted to reply again and say that I have the upmost sympathies for those who are doing all they can (or think they can) to find a mate, or a job, or better their life in some way. I do not have sympathies for those who whine about said things and expect it to just fall into their laps without them doing anything. They blame God for nothing happening but they forget that yes God does make a way for things to happen, but you have to do your share too. If you feel like you're doing everything in your power to change things, or do something different and whatever it is isn't happening it's either A. God is wanting you to do something for Him that you are unwilling to do. or B. You need to do your share of the work.

Unwillingness to obey God is rebellion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

enelya_taralom

Catch the wave.....
Aug 2, 2004
✟10,398.00
Faith
Christian
Interesting post. I agree with it for the most part, although I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to dating, there's just no logic to it. I'm social, love going out, am always calling people to meet up, moved to a new city, get involved with my school, church, love sports, and cooking etc yet I am 29 and have never had a bf... and it's not from a lack of interest on my part. I've liked plenty of guys, they just never like me back and no guy has ever asked me out on a date in person (the only dates I've ever gotten were through Plenty of Fish). And it's frustrating because my 24 year old brother who stays at home on the computer playing Star Craft and Poker Stars just happens to emerge form the house for a week to go to Mexico, and wham, girlfriend. My 22 year olf self-admittedly anti-social roommate (who is also over weight) is on boyfriend number two... she goes to parties and instead of meeting people, she finds the one or two she knows and just sticks with them or leaves... yet she is living the young adulthood that I never had as a social person. Another overweight and antisocial (she won't even go to parties) friend of mine, 28, is marrying someone she met through MSN... so go figure... none of it makes any sense to me. But apparently I'm either doing something terribly wrong by being social and interested, or I'm hideous...

I totally agree with the part about people at church claiming to be pro-life but judgemental of unmarried women with babies... I read a study once that over 80% of abortions occur within church going populations... for fear of the judgement. So wrong! As are the evil glares I see peopel give children who dare make a sound in church...

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting post. I agree with it for the most part, although I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to dating, there's just no logic to it....

This is true.....I'm a shyer sort of person but I think i'm moderately pretty and in good shape , have a lot going for me, and I did try to put myself out there a lot in those key spouse findin years.....And I hardly had any dates. But it seemed that a lot of my peers that were tremendously unhealthy in mind, spirit, and body were dating left and right or married. But granted, that I wouldn't have wanted to date or marry who they were dating and ore were married to either. Strangely I met mr. right for me at 30 when I had totally abandoned any trying to get out there and meet and date anyone. I was completely bored and tired with the whole social scene and then I met him. Previously when I had gone through bouts of giving up longer even than this last time, and I never met anyone or anyone worth a realtionship at least. So I guess we can all give "good" advice to others about what we perceive will work and it may or may not be true in their lives. I do think younger generations (and older ones) have lost certian aspects of communication and how to interact with others. I know it's hard to find anyone to actually engage in good conversation, and partly the reason why I couldn't find a good match for me. I'm sorry but I don't want to talk about your score in a video game and how you love it so much nor do I consider sitting beside you and watching you play your favorite video game a date. "YOu" is in the general sense here and much of what I encountered out there in the dating world of my 20's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Am I the only "millennial" writing on this stuff right now??:confused:

Before we get started, I'd like to say that SA makes rather good threads and though this is a bit.....cynical, the criticisms are still valid. Now let's dive in.
***Warning***

Are we not allowed to swing to the other side of the pendulum? Unlike this whole rebellious streak, people in the '30s, '40s, and early '50s looked to each other and found their worth in each other, not in themselves. Yes it did lead to conformity, but at the same time the affirmation kept them balanced and stable.

As for the whole self-esteem thing, we're working the wrong way on this. The world sucks, and unless you tell it who you are it will continue to stomp on you until it stops. What needs to be done is teaching and developing the idea of self-worth through a variety of things (identity of labor, of talents and skills, etc.). Just my two cents on that.

Absolutely. I go to bars more a week than the next three CFers combined. :p
I can't answer this because we can't talk about abortion, but it's safe to say that the CCM culture is hypocritical at best.
I think people are more upset about the "raising of the bar" than anything. You see a lot of cute girls on tv and in the media (compare that to the beeb or sky, and you'll see less-attractive people on there), and that is what gets in your head as to what a proper mate should look like. Of course there's also inappropriate content...but nobody does that now, do they? Didn't think so. ;)

Economies of scale have ruined most chances of an average woman being seen as a "catch", and has slowly started eroding the males' as well.
*quiet moment*
I despise the Republican Party with its ideology based in irrational thinking, undeniable jingoism, and its hatred of the other side, and I hate the Democrats for being too feeble to do what needs to be done, and shake off all those outside interests while doing so.
I blame Mr. Rogers. In all seriousness, I blame the culture that teaches kids that they're winners no matter what. What does that prepare them for in life? The only affirmation you should need is from yourself. Can you sit back at the end of the day, look back on the things you've done and be proud of what you've done? It's not always about making six or seven figures, but certainly it has to do with making the best with what you have. I was raised by hard working parents, so I learned the value of hard work early in life.
I don't believe that's true, though. Minus a very small minority of teenagers/early 20somethings, most have been hit by the depression the hardest. This is not just in the sense that they must first find work in a jobless nation and keep working constantly and stomping over other workers to stay afloat, but with their parents being also unemployed or maybe their house being foreclosed upon, the whole idea of poverty is very very real.

I don't remember what article it was from, but someone wrote a piece in a major newspaper talking about how much we have more in common with our grandparents who lived during the depression than our parents. Mindsets that were once prevalent about finding a job if you looked hard enough, or that working hard will mean everything would be okay simply are not true anymore. Psychologically, these kids may have been coddled until the early 2000s, but with Iraq and now the depression the wool has been violently ripped from over their eyes.

The millenial mindset is that the world owes them everything.
Read my last paragraph. And also realize that maybe we realized that some things should come from the government or the world, as part of us simply being human beings and their role of being accountable to us citizens to provide for our well-being.

The depression has changed everything.

(PS. Taking a nap, some stuff may not make total sense but read over it and it should. out.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok so in all actuality...
Generation X-Rebells
Generation Y-Needing approval
Generation Z-people from generation x and y complaining and doing nothing and pointing the fingers at others and doing nothing about it. Just wait till the anxiety comes back and the depression comes back, you'll be just like all that you complain about...again but they pop out babies that become a generational gap to restart back to A...hopefully.

Hopefully we get passed all this nonsense.

Upvote 0