SoCal Woman Mauled to Death by Pit Bulls.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A pack of pit bulls surrounded a woman and mauled her to death, authorities said Wednesday.

Police found Kelly Caldwell, 45, lying in the street around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, and took her to a hospital, where she later died, the San Bernardino County sheriff's department said.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=4053906

Dale

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟657,808.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is horrible. Do these dogs have owners? Can they be held responsible?

I really don't like pit bulls and I'm tired of being told that it is the disposition of the owner that is the problem.

In the Florida county I live in, someone called Animal Control over a neighbor's pit bulls. The Animal Control Officer went out there in a pickup truck. The pit bulls bit all four of the truck's tires, leaving the Officer trapped in the truck with four flat tires.

Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow. That is really sad. I also don't like pit bulls but I don't think that they should be banned as a breed. Why? Because I think they can be trained to be friendly dogs.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Pit bull attacks tend to get FAR more news coverage than dog attacks of other breeds. I'd like to see statistics on the breeds responsible for most recorded attacks in the US

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings.

"Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings.

"Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."
I see two more names on that list besides pit-bulls. The report would also indicate that Rottweilers are also aggressive, why are there no calls for an extinction or control of these animals?

I would also ask why there are many more pit bulls that are well-behaved and gentile towards humans than attack them.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
I see two more names on that list besides pit-bulls. The report would also indicate that Rottweilers are also aggressive, why are there no calls for an extinction or control of these animals?
Don't know.
I would also ask why there are many more pit bulls that are well-behaved and gentile towards humans than attack them.
I don't think anybody is saying this is not the case but the statistics would show that pit bulls seem to be a higher risk of not being gentle towards humans and more prone to attacks than some other breeds.

It was not a gentile dog that attacked this woman and killed her.

In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks.

http://www.dogexpert.com/Dog Bite Statistics/DogBiteStatistics.html

Upvote 0
B

BlueAfgani

Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."
What in the world is a "pitbull-type dog"? And how does one determine a "pitbull-type dog"?

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My neighbor has 7 next door~seem like well-adjusted mutts; they always lick my hands when I walk up to the fence to greet them...'course that's what the survivors will tell CNN, isn't it~ "They seemed like such nice dogs before they attacked that nice man"...

Upvote 0