AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
(AP) -- President George W. Bush on Friday called on the United Nations to convene a session as soon as possible to deal with a U.N. investigative report implicating Syrian officials in the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

"The report strongly suggests that the politically motivated assassination could not have taken place without Syrian involvement," Bush said after helping dedicate a new pavilion at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum in Southern California.

Full article here.

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Billy Batson said:
syria next in what? the war on "terror"? that's a dumb tag for a headline. no, no one's next in the war on "terrorism" because the current one has been fubar since the word "go."
The next victem of our yahoo cowboy president playing army.

Upvote 0

EricCartman

May 14, 2005
Texas A&M University
✟735.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
I think the people on this board are taking this issue way to lightly. World War I was started by the assignation of a person with seemly little global significants. Things could escalate quickly regardless of who the American President is. If the charges our government has been leveling against Syria are true and they are supplying, training and financing the terror attacks in Iraq that is bad enough, if they are killing the elected leaders of an emerging democracy it simply can not be tolerated. As always I only vote for war as a last resort. But this can’t be ignored.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
EricCartman said:
I think the people on this board are taking this issue way to lightly. World War I was started by the assignation of a person with seemly little global significants. Things could escalate quickly regardless of who the American President is. If the charges our government has been leveling against Syria are true and they are supplying, training and financing the terror attacks in Iraq that is bad enough, if they are killing the elected leaders of an emerging democracy it simply can not be tolerated. As always I only vote for war as a last resort. But this can’t be ignored.

Yep, this is right. I just hope the UN gets it so the US and a few others don't have to do the worlds police work. But it will have to be done soon.

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
EricCartman said:
And who exactly is going to fight and die in such a war based on pure speculation? If the U.S. were not in Iraq, they wouldn't be being attacked. Seems like a much simpler solution to that problem. And why must American boys be sent to die because of an alleged diplomatic situation between two foreign nations?

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Defensor Fidei said:
And who exactly is going to fight and die in such a war based on pure speculation? If the U.S. were not in Iraq, they wouldn't be being attacked. Seems like a much simpler solution to that problem. And why must American boys be sent to die because of an alleged diplomatic situation between two foreign nations?

Because people have the same worth there as here, because if a person has the capability to do something and does nothing it's just wrong. Because it's right.

Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Defensor Fidei said:

Yeah, I don't get it, who made us the world policeman? Shouldn't this be an issue between Syria and Lebanon? I would think they could resolve the problem, if one exists between themselves, and if not it would be up to Lebanon to bring it to the UN.

Upvote 0

EricCartman

May 14, 2005
Texas A&M University
✟735.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
it should be but the United States will act in it's best intrest, now that Iraq and Afghanistan are no longer in the picture so far as state sponsored terrorism is concerned, it's really just between Syria and Iran. Syria had better start minding it's P's and Q's. Going to war with Iran would be a major and significant event. Going to war with Syria would be like adding a province to Iraq, not as big a deal. Some terrorist need to start treading more lightly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Congress did have at least two votes related to Syria in 2003, but they were not about using military force there. I didn't read the details, but it sounds like they are mostly about policy and include some restrictions related to arms trade.

11-11-2003
Senate votes on the Syria Accountability and Lebanese Sovereignty Restoration Act
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=1&vote=00445
NAYs --Byrd (D-WV), Chafee (R-RI), Enzi (R-WY), Jeffords (I-VT)

H.R.1828, 2003
Title: To halt Syrian support for terrorism, end its occupation of Lebanon, stop its development of weapons of mass destruction, cease its illegal importation of Iraqi oil and illegal shipments of weapons and other military items to Iraq, and by so doing hold Syria accountable for the serious international security problems it has caused in the Middle East, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Engel, Eliot L. [NY-17] (introduced 4/12/2003) Cosponsors (297)
votes: 408 YEAS, 8 NAYS
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2003/roll654.xml
NAYS: Conyers (D-MI), Dingell (D-MI), Flake (R-AZ), Kucinich (D-OH),
McDermott (D-WA), Paul (R-TX), Rahall (D-WV) , Stark (D-CA)

Upvote 0