So I think I finally know which monastery I am called to enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nevermind. I just looked them up. That Benedictine rule will kick your tail- too hard for me (I don't have enough discipline :) )

I am sure things will work out well. Congrats!

Oh, I love the Rule! I have often thought about becoming an Oblate. I recieve daily, the reflects on the Rule from Fr. Maloney out of St. Gregory's in Ok.

He has been having health problems lately, and Sr. Veronica, fills in the gap, when he is not up to emailing.

Example below.

Benedictine value for November - HUMILITY
We commit ourselves to truthful living—an enthusiasm for conversion.
Text: “…then having climbed the steps of humility…you will carry out everything…from good habit, the joy of virtue, and the love of Christ.” Rule of Benedict 7

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Do you remember BrotherKnight who once posted on here? It is he, his dad, his dad's friends, and myself who would like to make it out there probably next year, hopefully the first of many visits.

In addition, my choir director goes there every year in October for the Gregorian Chant workshop that takes place there to do present a topic. The choir members are invited to come with him, so I may also be joining him in the future as well.

Yes I remember BrotherKnight. That would be great if you guys came to visit. Although, I'm not even sure if the monks are allowed to mingle with visitors. I think there's a small window of time allotted to conversation on Sunday's, but I'm not sure about the other days.

-Davide

Upvote 0

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes I remember BrotherKnight. That would be great if you guys came to visit. Although, I'm not even sure if the monks are allowed to mingle with visitors. I think there's a small window of time allotted to conversation on Sunday's, but I'm not sure about the other days.

-Davide

Probably, depends on where you are at, in your spirituality. They have guest houses, and guest can particpate in the Mass, and offices, and male guest in share a common meals, in the monastery. Also I think guest, help and share duites with the monks, while they are staying at the monastery...so there must be sometype of mingling, even if on a limited basis.

If they allow it, I can send you care packages...lol...I'll pack enough, so you can share...like a good little monk..:angel:

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
That Benedictine rule will kick your tail- too hard for me (I don't have enough discipline :) )

:)
If it is discipline you lack, then that's all the more reason to join, even if you only stay for 1 year. 12 months can do alot for a person's spiritual growth; you will undoubtedly be a stronger and more disciplined man in the end.

There's really nothing to lose, if you think about it. I personally feel that anyone who is discerning a calling should at least try it; give themselves to a community for 1 year, and see where it takes them. If after 12 months, you feel called somewhere else, you can just leave. It's very simple. And it will likely be the most productive (spiritually) 12 months of your life.

Consider how Marines/Soldiers are trained; boot camp is step #1; it shocks the system and purifies much of their wordly and immature ways. In a similar sense, religious communities offer a spiritual boot camp of sorts, which is necessary in a process of catalyzed growth. If we can understand the value of this, then we can understand how it can apply to our union with God.

[/plug]

-Davide

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

-Davide

It depends. When we go, it will be all males so we will be able to stay on the monastery in the guest cells. We would share in the meals with you and also share in the manual work. So if your work duties are duties which the guests can help with, then there may be time to meet. Other than that I do believe that you would be correct that we may not be able to converse. But it would be great to be in one another's presence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Rising_Suns, how do you determine whether you are called enter the Benedictines, the Franciscans or the Dominicans?

Hi Knowledge3,
In my opinion, the only way to determine which order you are called to is to go visit them. Even within orders, there can be many differences from community to community, so it's difficult to generalize.

If you will permit me to speak frankly, I think the biggest mistake that people make when discerning a religious vocation is that they do not put in the same amount of effort and time as they do to discerning marriage. The discernment process for marriage is often long, and much time is devoted to it. A person will often date/court various people, and spend much time getting to know them, to see if they are a good match for marriage. This dating process will contine until the person finds the right spouse.

Clearly, there is action involved in this process. You wouldn't base your decision from thinking about the idea of dating. Neither would you make your decision from studying about dating. You would actually get up, and date; you would spend time with the person, to get to know them.

I think the same can be said of discerning a religious vocation. Just as you would date a woman to see if you are called to marry her, so too should you "date" a community to see if you are called to that community. This requires action on our part. This requires visiting communities, speaking with the monks/friars, and seeing where it goes.

In my opinion, the right community will help us grow in areas that we are weak, and build on our natural gifts as well. Just like a wife, it will compliment us, in a sense. I also believe there should be an emotional aspect as well, that is, there should be a "spark" for lack of a better word. The right community will help you to embrace your sacrifice, and even grow to enjoy it. However, it will also test you, nearly to the point of quitting (this may simply be by virtue of God's will, rather than the community itself however).

I hope this helped a little bit.

Blessings to you,

-Davide

Reactions: Davidnic
Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
I know when I went to St. Bernards even after a few days I absolutely hated going back out into the "real world."

Hopefully next summer I won't have to go back out into the world again.

St. Bernard's in Alabama? I just visited that community not too long ago.

-Davide

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

If you will permit me to speak frankly, I think the biggest mistake that people make when discerning a religious vocation is that they do not put in the same amount of effort and time as they do to discerning marriage. The discernment process for marriage is often long, and much time is devoted to it. A person will often date/court various people, and spend much time getting to know them, to see if they are a good match for marriage. This dating process will contine until the person finds the right spouse.
Of course some of us just get knocked up - and end up backed into marriage....God knowing that we'd never give in otherwise...;)

Davide-- I am so happy that your time for entering the monastery is drwing ever nearer- Know that you have my prayers so often :hug:

Reactions: Rising_Suns
Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Consider how Marines/Soldiers are trained; boot camp is step #1; it shocks the system and purifies much of their wordly and immature ways. In a similar sense, religious communities offer a spiritual boot camp of sorts, which is necessary in a process of catalyzed growth. If we can understand the value of this, then we can understand how it can apply to our union with God.

[/plug]
That is so, so funny-- I just recently used the boot camp analogy in regards to pregnancy as boot camp for motherhood. Preparing a woman for the sacrifices- physical and mental that she will have to make...

It made me smile- vocations may differ, but are still so much the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
http://echoesofcreation.blogspot.co...sion+-+A+life+dedicated+only+to+God+&x=70&y=9

Solemn Profession - A life dedicated only to God

Yesterday Br. Morri (sp?) made his solemn profession in the crypt of the future church. The Abbot from Fontgombault and the Bishop were both present. I was able to spend some time with Br. Morri's wonderful family who flew out from the west coast for the event - though we don't spend much time with the monks (after all they are cloistered) you can really tell alot about them when you meet their families. Enjoy the pictures ... though pictures really cannot capture how totally amazing and special it was:

Profession1.0.jpg
profession2.0.jpg
profession4.0.jpg
Here's more about Clear Creek Monastery

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Thank you everyone for your kindness.

Just to keep you updated, I will be leaving tomorrow morning (Friday) to drive out to Oklahoma for a 1-week visit. If you have a spare moment, please remember to say a prayer for me.

Thank you.

-Davide

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.