Smoking is NOT a sin.

D

dies-l

That's unconditional God.

That's conditional God

Sorry, I just thought to clear up another issue on another thread. (Not really trying to be a troublemaker here.)

I disagree. The former could be described as a God of superficial love ("I love you, but not enough to care whether you grow and mature"). The latter could be described as God of meaningful love ("I love you so much that I want you to be best you that you can be.") In both cases, God loves us despite our imperfections and in both cases, God's love is unconditional. The difference is that one is much more superficial and empty than the other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RevRo

Sep 16, 2010
Florida
✟8,073.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
1Co 6:12 "Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything.

Smoking is not a sin, unless God tells you to stop. Eating apples is not a sin, unless God says don't eat them.

It is a blessing to read your refreshing post! God bless YOU!

Upvote 0

Jerushabelle

Oct 6, 2010
✟6,072.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
He doesn't simply say, "don't worry about it; my son died so you won't have to clean up your act."

I disagree. The former could be described as a God of superficial love ("I love you, but enough to care whether you grow and mature"). The latter could be described as God of meaningful love ("I love you so much that I want you to be best you that you can be.") In both cases, God loves us despite our imperfections and in both cases, God's love is unconditional. The difference is that one is much more superficial and empty than the other.

OY!

Upvote 0
C

Christownsme

Let me start by saying that I am not and never have been a smoker. Recently I really began to ponder why smokers are so often looked down upon by the church as if they were committing some grave sin. I found that there is one primary bit of scripture that Christians use to condemn smoking, drinking, tattoos, and other things that could potentially harm the body. This bit of scripture is 1 Corinthians 6:19 and it states: "Or do you not know that you body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?..." Unfortunately, if you consider the entire context of the scripture instead of that single verse you will see that this seems to be speaking against sexual immorality in particular. It bothers me greatly to hear people so often quoting bits of scripture and leaving out all that goes with it.

Matthew 15:11 states that: "it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” Matthew 15:17-18 says: "17 Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? 18 But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person." Matthew 15:19-20 says: "19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. 20 These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.” Mark 7:15 states: "There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.”

Besides the verses above there are a couple of others but for the sake of time I will assume that you get the point and move on. All of these verses talk about how what you take into your body is not sinful, it's what comes from your heart that can be sinful. These verses are talking about food in particular, it seems, but they are still relevant to whether or not tobacco or smoking should be considered a sin. One reason we are told that it is sinful is because it could, but may not necessarily, cause harm to your body. Well, Matthew 15:20 states that eating with unwashed hands does not defile anyone. How could this be? We know the the Bible is perfect and does not contain contradictions so how could 1 Corinthians 6:19 talk about the importance of the Holy Spirit's temple, our bodies, while Matthew 15:20 says it's perfectly fine to eat with dirty hands that could be covered in deadly bacteria and other things that could potentially kill or seriously harm the person eating?

The same could be asked of the rest of the verses that I listed. All foods were declared to be clean and we were told that we could take them in to our bodies without committing sin. Well, we know that certain foods like pork and beef could be harmful to our health so why don't these things defile us? Drinking alcohol (taking it in to your body) is not sinful but becoming drunk (what comes out of you as a result of drinking too much) is indeed sinful. Another thing that I find interesting is the fact that incense was so commonly burned in the Bible (in the temples, at alters, etc.), often at God's command. Frankincense, an ingredient in incense that was commonly used in the Bible, produces smoke. According to a 2008 study done by Johns Hopkins University and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, frankincense smoke is a psychoactive drug that relieves depression and anxiety. Many smokers will tell you that tobacco smoke relieves stress and nervousness in particular. So why would God have people burn incense that releases smoke that causes psychoactive reactions?

I have concluded that, considering the context of the verses above, the actual act of smoking is not what's sinful. What's sinful is what could, and probably will, result from smoking cigarettes: addiction and the possibility of damaging your witness. I also find that pipe smoking and perhaps cigar smoking are less likely to cause addiction and the greater negative health effects of cigarette smoking. This is typically true in the average pipe/cigar smoker who chooses to smoke occasionally as opposed to often as cigarette smokers do. Also consider that pipe and cigar tobacco does not usually contain all of the additives, preservatives, and chemicals found in cigarettes, and that pipe/cigar smokers typically do not inhale the smoke. Pipe/cigar smokers smoke as a sort of hobby whereas cigarette smokers smoke because they become addicted and end up feeling as if they must smoke.

I certainly do not advocate smoking and my hope is that you will not see this post as some kind of advertisement but that you will realize what I am trying to do. It simply bothers me when we, Christians, are told that something is wrong or sinful when we do not look at the whole picture. So personally I do not believe that the act of smoking is sinful. I also think that you are much less likely to sin if you are smoking the occasional pipe or cigar than you would be if you were smoking cigarettes. So what do you folks think?

The only reservation I'd make would be to read Romans 14:22-23. It both supports your reasoning and disqualifies the reasoning if faith is absent during the activity.

Romans 14:22-23 (NIV)
So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

But if the man/woman has faith it's ok, the reasoning for it not being a sin is that neither is drinking diet soda, even though diet soda ruins your teeth and the sweetener turns to formaldahyde. There's not a big rush to condemn those soda drinkers, but I tell you if one of them knows the Holy Spirit wants them to quit.............that's a whole 'nother ball game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jerushabelle

Oct 6, 2010
✟6,072.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I know what "oy" means. I just don't get what is so complicated or controversial about anything I have said. It all seems like a pretty basic core understanding of Christian theology.

I'm really tired since I've been here at work for over 11 hours so you'll have to forgive me. It's just that IMO, (I like that IMO stuff...I learned it here... it's pretty cool.), Christian theology is anything but simple. Words wind around each other to form a maze and I can't help but wonder if it wasn't devised to confound a person with basic core faith. It has a tendency to sour the milk and spoil the meat...IMO

My point was simple and you sort of clinched it. One person's conditional God is another person's unconditional God and arguing over that ad nauseum is pointless.

Oh, just for the record, I smoked 3 packs a day for over 25 years. I smoked my last the night my son was born. The thought of looking down into my child's face with a butt hanging out of my mouth didn't fit with the gift of life God was bestowing upon me. I figure there's a message in that somewhere. Dunno! Goodnight my Brother in Christ. Shalom!

Upvote 0

RevRo

Sep 16, 2010
Florida
✟8,073.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
I know what "oy" means. I just don't get what is so complicated or controversial about anything I have said. It all seems like a pretty basic core understanding of Christian theology.

Psalm 139:6

"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 9, 2010
✟15,576.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let me start by saying that I am not and never have been a smoker. Recently I really began to ponder why smokers are so often looked down upon by the church as if they were committing some grave sin.

I used to be a heavy smoker. But once I invited Jesus into my heart and was born again, I was deeply encouraged, convicted and empowered to stop smoking, and haven't had a smoke since. Nobody told me or lectured me to stop smoking, it came from a conviction deep within, and that is a usual story to other born again Christians I have spoken to, and they too stopped smoking. The people who continue to smoke are just claiming to be Christian, but have never been Born Again of the Holy Spirit! A sign that someone has truly been Born Again is their desire to stop smoking and their cessation from smoking.

Upvote 0

RevRo

Sep 16, 2010
Florida
✟8,073.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
I used to be a heavy smoker. But once I invited Jesus into my heart and was born again, I was deeply encouraged, convicted and empowered to stop smoking, and haven't had a smoke since. Nobody told me or lectured me to stop smoking, it came from a conviction deep within, and that is a usual story to other born again Christians I have spoken to, and they too stopped smoking. The people who continue to smoke are just claiming to be Christian, but have never been Born Again of the Holy Spirit! A sign that someone has truly been Born Again is their desire to stop smoking and their cessation from smoking.

In that case, you had best change your name, because this is NOT true.
"The people who continue to smoke are just claiming to be Christian, but have never been Born Again of the Holy Spirit! A sign that someone has truly been Born Again is their desire to stop smoking and their cessation from smoking."

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Romans 13:9-10

9The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Smoking causes cancer, gives lung disease, and damages second hand smokers just as bad and sometimes worse .

Since smoking "harms" it is sin .

but it is the kindness of God (God is Love, love is patient, love is kind) that leads us to repentance .

Romans 2:4
Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Another aspect of the sinfulness of smoking is the addiction .

Sin and Addiction and Compulsion

are the same thing .

Romans 14:23
But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

Anything that doesn't come from trusting God is sin .

Faith, is trust, is Surrender .. is Victory .. is Life .

Living in a place of surrender . is where God is knit closely to our hearts no matter what . In surrender . we live in His victory .

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2010
✟15,576.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In that case, you had best change your name, because this is NOT true.
"The people who continue to smoke are just claiming to be Christian, but have never been Born Again of the Holy Spirit! A sign that someone has truly been Born Again is their desire to stop smoking and their cessation from smoking."

I disagree with you!!

It happened to me and many others I have known... once Jesus came into our heart, we were convicted and motivated to immediately stop polluting our bodies. People who still smoke is a sign they have never been Born Again of the Holy Spirit and that's why they continue to smoke and see nothing wrong with it.:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RevRo

Sep 16, 2010
Florida
✟8,073.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Romans 13:9-10

9The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Smoking causes cancer, gives lung disease, and damages second hand smokers just as bad and sometimes worse .

Since smoking "harms" it is sin .

but it is the kindness of God (God is Love, love is patient, love is kind) that leads us to repentance .

Romans 2:4
Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?

Driving a car, running an air conditioner are sins too, then, because they pollute the air. Fertilizing or pestisiding your lawn is a sin because it pollutes the water.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Driving a car, running an air conditioner are sins too, then, because they pollute the air. Fertilizing or pestisiding your lawn is a sin because it pollutes the water.

So you get it then .

Colossians 4:5
Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.

Ephesians 5:16
Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I love drive-by prooftexting! :clap:

Seriously, if you disagree with me, tell me why.

Jeremiah 33:3 (King James Version)

3Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

^_^

Upvote 0