✟18,194.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*grunching*

I really agree man. I love laughing, but things, IMHO, have gotten WAY out of hand.
:thumbsup:

Also, I'd like to say thank you to all of the mods. I'm sure your job isn't easy or much fun.

And, I think all of the good posters should come back and just flood the board with good stuff.

Also and pps ppps etc, this makes me wonder if I'm on anyone's ignore list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
After reading through the thread, I'd like to add a few more comments.

One of my (many) motto's is: Stupid questions deserve stupid answers. Trolls who post idiotic threads aren't looking for thoughtful, mature, profound replies. They're cracking a joke. Joke back. It isn't mocking if the subject is the one creating the idiotic scenario to begin with. They crave the attention and the scathing replies, hence their continued threads. If they were hurt, angry, offended, they'd leave.

Yes, we have one particularly stubborn and difficult "troll" right now that is flat-out INSISTING that he's serious and not a troll at all. He's not slowing down and he's not listening to advice or warnings. IMO he needs to be reported and banned. OR we all need to ignore every thread he creates until he gets bored and leaves; but I don't see that happening, people love to tease a troll way too much.

totally agree with this.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what the OP is getting at. I've been around quite a bit lately, and have not noticed any serious problems with the regular posters here. The obvious trolls who insist on baiting and causing drama on the other hand... Maybe I've missed something.

I actually think the one in particular that Vicky referred to needs to be ignored by everyone here. I agree its not going to happen, but hey... its one way to get the trolls to leave. stop giving them the satisfaction they're looking for.

Upvote 0

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I actually think the one in particular that Vicky referred to needs to be ignored by everyone here. I agree its not going to happen, but hey... its one way to get the trolls to leave. stop giving them the satisfaction they're looking for.

That's the genuine problem with this specific troll. The problem? Some of us Christians are way too nice and innocent and unassuming. So no matter how ridiculous the post is, they will still give advice and try to help because that is their nature. In the meantime, the troll is getting all the replies he could ever want and getting people absorbed in it because of their good nature.

That's a big part of the reason why I've gone so deep into my picture album to throw sarcasm at the trolls. I'm trying to help people see when a troll is a troll and understand that after giving advice repeatedly with him ignoring it and asking weirder and weirder questions, that it's time to give up and move on. It's always good to start that way, but when it's clear someone isn't looking for engaged communication, he/she is just looking for reactions and responses, let go...

Also, Andrew didn't make this thread to call anyone out, or make anyone upset if anything he made it so we could come together as a group again because it's been a bit stuffy in here lately. The OP was all about love in a nutshell, and I think it was meant to be taken as that and nothing else.

Also, just wanted to mention it. We all know Andrew is a good kid and means well. And we understand why he made this thread. But this thread did call some of us out, and it was in a condescending way. I don't think anybody is mad at him, or if they are, they won't stay that way because we are aware he didn't mean anything against us. But that's what his post was, unintentionally. That's why this got a negative response so quickly from some, and why some of us were offended and got defensive.

Another reason internet communication is never ideal. A well intentioned post came off as rude and condescending. We have to be careful what we type, because once it's out there it's out there and open for interpretation.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
This.

And most of us know that mods can use as much or as little power as they want (in some cases, not all). We've seen people lambast each other, with nothing done about it, and others get warnings, and even bannings, for using the wrong "word", even unintentionally. Moderation is not spread equally around this site, and we all know it. These trolls could be reported and acted against for what they're doing. If they're still here, it's because people aren't reporting them, and/or mods are ignoring them. Yes, mods work hard. Yes, mods deserve recognition for all that they do. I'm not disputing that. I'm saying it's not applied equally and fairly, and anyone who says it is, is lying.

/potential nuclear explosion

I completely agree. (And I know people have been reporting trolls; at least two people mentioned doing so with one particularly offensive thread. And I posted a thread in the member services area a couple of days ago to basically ask them to do something about the troll-fest going on here lately, which was responded to by an admin.)

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's the genuine problem with this specific troll. The problem? Some of us Christians are way too nice and innocent and unassuming. So no matter how ridiculous the post is, they will still give advice and try to help because that is their nature. In the meantime, the troll is getting all the replies he could ever want and getting people absorbed in it because of their good nature.

That's a big part of the reason why I've gone so deep into my picture album to throw sarcasm at the trolls. I'm trying to help people see when a troll is a troll and understand that after giving advice repeatedly with him ignoring it and asking weirder and weirder questions, that it's time to give up and move on. It's always good to start that way, but when it's clear someone isn't looking for engaged communication, he/she is just looking for reactions and responses, let go...

That's one reason I appreciated that you posted images, besides the lulz. It labeled a thread trollish.

Upvote 0

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's one reason I appreciated that you posted images, besides the lulz. It labeled a thread trollish.

If you noticed, I didn't do it the first handful of threads the dude made. I only started that when I realized that people were going to keep responding no matter what he put.

Reactions: LadyOfMystery
Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I admit, I get VERY frustrated by people who respond to a troll thread with just silliness or spamming. But that is my personality responding, not a "what they did was wrong :argh: " because there really is no right or wrong here.

Different strokes for different folks. It just means you need to go all zen like and stay away from certain posters for a few days until it all stops.

Bottom line should always be that we are not attacking each other in our zeal for trolls to leave and we recognize that each person has a right to respond differently to this scenerio. Even if that way annoys the crap out of some of us ;)

Reactions: kevlite2020
Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This.

And most of us know that mods can use as much or as little power as they want (in some cases, not all). We've seen people lambast each other, with nothing done about it, and others get warnings, and even bannings, for using the wrong "word", even unintentionally. Moderation is not spread equally around this site, and we all know it. These trolls could be reported and acted against for what they're doing. If they're still here, it's because people aren't reporting them, and/or mods are ignoring them. Yes, mods work hard. Yes, mods deserve recognition for all that they do. I'm not disputing that. I'm saying it's not applied equally and fairly, and anyone who says it is, is lying.

/potential nuclear explosion
QFT

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Revived

Fighting the good fight of faith.
Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Quite honestly, I went through that whole "should I/should I not" process about contributing and feeding the trolls in a couple threads last night. I decided to join in but now I feel as if the best recourse, moving forward, is to simply ignore them. I apologize if I've disappointed of offended anyone. :/

Upvote 0