Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm really not sure what to think about this thread.

On one hand, I find it very condescending; as though you're trying to control how people express their sense of humor.

On the other, I can see that you're obviously upset about what's been going on and it makes me feel sad for you.

I think I'll just pray.

Upvote 0

BRISH

Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm just going to continue what I have been doing....not feeding trolls and putting them on my ignore list.

^

Mind if I throw a +1 on this?

That's why when trolling starts, I default to humor. Nothing else productive's going to come from it. When people try to take that crap serious and try to defend the very people that are trying to make them miserable... yeah good luck with that.

You know, Andrew has his way of trying to approach things but I think his intentions are clear that he's trying to help in his own way. Just as we are all different, our approaches and responses be just as different. I won't say any more on that.

I just think that we are better than to ust jump in like we have. Let's take "right or wrong" out and just say that (IMO) it's been worse this time around because we've been replying to it. Kevin, I agree with you that arguing with these types of posters is in vain, but wouldn't you say that ignoring them has a less reactionary affect? I've not been on here very long in comparison to some of you, but I've been a part of a couple other forums for 6+ years. I saw in those that ignoring the trolling was more effective then going at them either angrily or sarcastically. I'm approaching this totally outside of the "spiritual morals" realm because we are all at different places. I'm approaching the common sense. I've been guilty of it. I've tackled it both ways and I've found that just bypassing their posts is more productive in them becoming bored more quickly.

To the ones whose posts are in question, you know.... we love to help but you have to be willing to actually listen and at least consider the help you'll get. PM me anytime if you have concerns.

Added: I am absolutely not condemning what has already gone on. That's not my "job". I'm looking at this starting at this point, right now. Like, what can we do next time.

Upvote 0

Andrew12

A Knight of the Lord
Nov 4, 2010
Mainstreet, AnyTown
Visit site
✟17,283.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm really not sure what to think about this thread.

On one hand, I find it very condescending; as though you're trying to control how people express their sense of humor.

On the other, I can see that you're obviously upset about what's been going on and it makes me feel sad for you.

I think I'll just pray.

:hug: I am not upset, I just have realized that we need to gauge ourselves & actions by the word of God, not what we think is appropriate. and people have free will, no attempt at controlling them here. I just know that we need to be an example to others. :)

Upvote 0

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
<---Still has no idea what it says in the OP.

VT, in the future, you can always highlight text to see it better. Lil computer tip that helps when fonts are colored weird.

Also, I'm not mad at anyone here. Just disappointed that so many of y'all got so up and arms because of somebody trolling the forum. I will not apologize for having a sense of humor or feel bad. The OP was meant in good spirit and I realize that, but it was condescending and rude, as were some of the other posts.

You defend somebody that is trolling the forum and give them the benefit of doubt, but you don't do the same for us regulars? If you were going to lean on the side of grace for people you know nothing about, why wouldn't you do the same for people who have constantly been here showing support and spreading laughter.

Like I said, I'm not mad. But I am disappointed. Either way, I will continue to have the personality I have and post in the manner I always have. Sorry if some of you don't like my posting style, but I can't really change my personality to make everybody happy at every time.

Reactions: Revived
Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do agree with Andrew partially. Christians are supposed to show love to those who mock us. Big problems happened in the earlier days(2,3,4th centuries?) when Christians mocked back, and then skulls were being busted open.

ON THE OTHER HAND, people do need to be called out for the wrong they do. The trolls know they are doing wrong. They are trolls. They do it for the lulz. Calling them out to the mods is one way to stop them. Another way is to ignore them. After I identified one troll, I put them on ignore. Now I don't have to see their ignorant posts (though I still see the threads they might create).

Reporting them and putting them on ignore is far more effective than feeding them and empowering them by getting yourselves in trouble by breaking the forum rules (spamming pics, flaming/mocking, etc).

So I think we should come to the consensus that:
1) Trolls are bad
2) We should not feed them
3) We should, out of love for people who are ignorant, stop their trolling by ignoring them or reporting them, and not falling to their standards.

Reactions: Revived
Upvote 0

Andrew12

A Knight of the Lord
Nov 4, 2010
Mainstreet, AnyTown
Visit site
✟17,283.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus wasn't super polite all the time, why should we have to be?

He called people snakes and children of Satan.

Trolls post lies and disrupt the forum, Jesus might call them a brood of vipers acting out the father of all lies wishes.

while this is true, Jesus was still willing to forgive them, and He cared about them. so yes, at times tough love is needful, but not in every instance. :)

Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
***Color fixed.****

I hope this new color is okay

Yes, thank you.

I agree that at times the humor on here has gotten a bit out of hand.
Ex. (I could have done without learning about ball gags from CF.)

Sometimes it is difficult to tell if someone is genuinely having a problem/bad day or if someone is being a troll.

To be honest it would be nice to return to a somewhat normal state of being.

I also hope nobody was referring to my posts as trolling.
There certainly was no attempt.

As far as things getting off topic, yes they do get off topic sometimes, usually one or two posts by people referring to the OP puts a thread back in check from what I've seen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Revived

Fighting the good fight of faith.
Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do agree with Andrew partially. Christians are supposed to show love to those who mock us. Big problems happened in the earlier days(2,3,4th centuries?) when Christians mocked back, and then skulls were being busted open.

ON THE OTHER HAND, people do need to be called out for the wrong they do. The trolls know they are doing wrong. They are trolls. They do it for the lulz. Calling them out to the mods is one way to stop them. Another way is to ignore them. After I identified one troll, I put them on ignore. Now I don't have to see their ignorant posts (though I still see the threads they might create).

Reporting them and putting them on ignore is far more effective than feeding them and empowering them by getting yourselves in trouble by breaking the forum rules (spamming pics, flaming/mocking, etc).

1) Trolls are bad
3) We should, out of love for people who are ignorant, stop their trolling by ignoring them or reporting them, and not falling to their standards.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
VT, in the future, you can always highlight text to see it better. Lil computer tip that helps when fonts are colored weird.

1) Trolls are bad

This thread makes me feel forum illiterate. How do you ignore someone who is trolling?

Reactions: Tehchad
Upvote 0

BRISH

Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You defend somebody that is trolling the forum and give them the benefit of doubt, but you don't do the same for us regulars? If you were going to lean on the side of grace for people you know nothing about, why wouldn't you do the same for people who have constantly been here showing support and spreading laughter.

This may be directed to a general population or to those (me) who have replied to your posts, but I give you the benefit of a doubt multiple times daily because I think you do the same for me and if you, Kevin, needed my kidney I'd ask when and where. So there...

Edited and Added: (You might start craving enchiladas, but you'd still be kickin.)

Reactions: kevlite2020
Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus wasn't super polite all the time, why should we have to be?

He called people snakes and children of Satan.

Trolls post lies and disrupt the forum, Jesus might call them a brood of vipers acting out the father of lies wishes.
That is actually a lot more mean and harsh than what ANYONE has said on this forum so far.

Ok now I am done because this is a very good point that Blackguard brought up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

This thread makes me feel forum illiterate. How do you ignore someone who is trolling?

User CP-----> Edit Ignore List (under settings and options)------> Start typing in their name and it usually will pop up their name exact, and then save changes.

=)

Upvote 0

Revived

Fighting the good fight of faith.
Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This may be directed to a general population or to those (me) who have replied to your posts, but I give you the benefit of a doubt multiple times daily because I think you do the same for me and if you, Kevin, needed my kidney I'd ask when and where. So there...

Edited and Added: (You might start craving enchiladas, but you'd still be kickin.)

I need hair. Can someone help a brother?

Reactions: BRISH
Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0