sin, transgression, iniquity and reprobate.

Freedom Now

Jun 26, 2016
Canada
✟15,948.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
psalms 32 5
5. I acknowledged my sin unto Thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, “I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord,” and Thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah

when is sin transgression and transgression iniquity and iniquity reprobate?

From God's perspective, none of them are good, and we do well to abstain from them.

May God bless you.

Upvote 0

shakewell

Jun 17, 2013
✟40,638.00
Faith
Christian
psalms 32 5
5. I acknowledged my sin unto Thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, “I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord,” and Thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah

I guess it depends on how you define terms.

It looks like all sin is transgression: 1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Iniquity (at least in English) has the idea of unfairness (in-iquity, in-equity, not equal). I think any transgression could be seen as unfair.

Reprobate seems to mean "unapproved" or "not acceptable". So all sins, transgressions, and iniquities are reprobate (unacceptable) to God.

Reactions: lorimilne
Upvote 0

lorimilne

Jul 9, 2016
Anaheim
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sin would be in most terms , before when we were sinners , or he died for us even when we were yet sinners. So. Before coming to Christ we are sinners .
Then if we after coming to the faith , sin then we transgres against the law or back to being sinners . this is mostly refrenced in regards to erring away from the faith or unintended sin.
Now Iniquity is more rooted sin and is premeditated o rt practiced or choosing to versus stumbling upon or into sin like if your son died and you fall into sarrow and get drunk vs going and choosing to get drunk. This is mentioned as forgiven after long and hard repentng , lamenting like david did in his psalms and can be unforgable because iniquity produces a wicked heart if let so, Jesus says he never knew the workers of iniquity.
Once your given over to your sin by God your are a reprobate .
Elis sons and house hold were turned away by God for unchecked iniquity or sin.
And Paul also is offended by brethren who's works are bad after being in The faith and he cuts them off or kicks them out of the church..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
unintended sin.

All sin is intentional, otherwise it is not sin.

If I slip on the ice, and hurt someone next to me, we just call it an accident. I had no will nor intent to harm them.

With sin, people will sin, and then lie to themselves to feel better... "Well, I couldn't help myself!" Or "I didn't mean to do that!" Both of these are lies to alleviate a guilty conscience, and both qualify as sin.

That you meant good but did not do the good you meant is standard, plain jane sin as Paul describes:

For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. - Romans 7:19

The deception here is the person doing this doesn't either want to give up the sin, or they are afraid God wont forgive them if they willfully sin. But since all sin is willful, and is otherwise not sin, then God either forgives no sin, or he forgives willful sin.

Upvote 0

lorimilne

Jul 9, 2016
Anaheim
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if i stub my toe a hormone flowd through my brain that creates me you respond phisicly normally wede get ANGRY if a man kills my dog i would react to that. Are laws even recongmize lavitical laws on unintentional sin vs intentional sin. Its 1st dagree 2cnd dagree crime of pasion. Or the. There is intentionally with no reason but that you want to, nothing stumbling you just pure desire . You can turn away but you dont.
Thats the differnce i ment

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Sin would be in most terms , before when we were sinners , or he died for us even when we were yet sinners. So. Before coming to Christ we are sinners .
Then if we after coming to the faith , sin then we transgres against the law or back to being sinners . this is mostly refrenced in regards to erring away from the faith or unintended sin.

A person who sins unintentionally is not a sinner. When scripture refers to sinners, it's referring to wicked people who sin willfully in contrast to the righteous who shun sin and love God instead.

Reactions: lorimilne
Upvote 0

lorimilne

Jul 9, 2016
Anaheim
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Intentional sin is a choice you either make or dont make , unintentional would be void of knowledge its a sin or being stymbled to anger..like your dig dies. Mom dies. Your emotionaly stumbled. Are laws recongnise thus even today. Crime of pasion , first dagree seccond dagree murder etc. Unintentional is worked on through sanctification . Intentional is forgiven only when repented from. Other wise it is iniquity becuse its wilful.

If you cintinue to sin Aftr you obtain the knowledge therr is no sacrifice for that sin

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
psalms 32 5

The LXX makes the distinction, the first being a-nomia, "Against the Law". And the second, commonly used in the NT for sin harmatia, which is "to miss the mark". These two concepts of sin you find commonly in the New Testament.

The first is to cross a boundary, often referred to as a "trans-gression". It generally comes into play with the "you shall not" type of commands.

The second is a falling short of what you should do. It comes into play with regards to a behavior we should live up to, but fall short of.

So sin - violating what we shouldn't do or not living up to what we should do.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Actually there are 2 types of sin God defines.
Wilful sin (presumptuous sins), versus sins done in ignorance.
For sins done in ignorance there is mercy and forgiveness, most definitely, and of course a sacrifice was required.
But wilful, presumptuous, deliberately flaunting their sins to God's mercy and grace to His face type sinning had in the OT, no available sacrifice for such sin, a person who sinned presumptuously was cast out of the Lord's congregation and was shown no mercy. To be completely cut off from the Lord's people would have meant death, being outside of the sacrifices of the Old Covenant of the Law. They bear their guilt unforgiven.

Even Paul said he blasphemed God, but did so ignorantly and so was forgiven.
1 Timothy 1:13
although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

But for those who sin wilfully, even today there is wrath. But this is reserved for apostates, not born of God believers. Apostates reject the truth in Christ and are not forgiven, they depart the faith, so they leave the visible church and are antichrists as 1 John 2:18-23 teaches.
1 John 5 teaches that all born of God believers overcome the world by their faith in Christ.
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Hebrews 10
The Just Live by Faith
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Numbers 15 teaches about sinning presumptuously' versus sins done in ignorance.

Laws Concerning Unintentional Sin
22 ‘If you sin unintentionally, and do not observe all these commandments which the Lord has spoken to Moses— 23 all that the Lord has commanded you by the hand of Moses, from the day the Lord gave commandment and onward throughout your generations— 24 then it will be, if it is unintentionally committed, without the knowledge of the congregation, that the whole congregation shall offer one young bull as a burnt offering, as a sweet aroma to the Lord, with its grain offering and its drink offering, according to the ordinance, and one kid of the goats as a sin offering.25 So the priest shall make atonement for the whole congregation of the children of Israel, and it shall be forgiven them, for it was unintentional; they shall bring their offering, an offering made by fire to the Lord, and their sin offering before the Lord, for their unintended sin. 26 It shall be forgiven the whole congregation of the children of Israel and the stranger who dwells among them, because all the people did it unintentionally.

27 ‘And if a person sins unintentionally, then he shall bring a female goat in its first year as a sin offering. 28 So the priest shall make atonement for the person who sins unintentionally, when he sins unintentionally before the Lord, to make atonement for him; and it shall be forgiven him. 29 You shall have one law for him who sins unintentionally, for him who is native-born among the children of Israel and for the stranger who dwells among them

Law Concerning Presumptuous Sin
30 ‘But the person who does anything presumptuously, whether he is native-born or a stranger, that one brings reproach on the Lord, and he shall be cut off from among his people. 31 Because he has despised the word of the Lord, and has broken His commandment, that person shall be completely cut off; his guilt shall be upon him.’”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But for those who sin wilfully, even today there is wrath. But this is reserved for apostates, not born of God believers. Apostates reject the truth in Christ and are not forgiven, they depart the faith, so they leave the visible church and are antichrists as 1 John 2:18-23 teaches.
1 John 5 teaches that all born of God believers overcome the world by their faith in Christ.
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Unbelievable! Reserved for apostates? Apostates aren't even mentioned in Hebrews 10! Why do people make this stuff up?

The BRETHREN are the ones mentioned in Hebrews 10. I have underlined the words which refer to the BRETHREN below.

Hebrews 10
19 Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh,
21 and having a High Priest over the house of God,
22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.
24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,
25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
26 For if WE sin willfully after WE have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Some people are so bent on their beliefs, they will shamefully add to what the Word actually says. Unbelievable!

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Unbelievable! Reserved for apostates? Apostates aren't even mentioned in Hebrews 10! Why do people make this stuff up?

The BRETHREN are the ones mentioned in Hebrews 10. I have underlined the words which refer to the BRETHREN below.

Hebrews 10
19 Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh,
21 and having a High Priest over the house of God,
22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.
24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,
25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
26 For if WE sin willfully after WE have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Some people are so bent on their beliefs, they will shamefully add to what the Word actually says. Unbelievable!

Oh yes, such are apostates that I was referring to earlier.
Hebrews 10, read on, verse 29 are clearly talking of apostates. Worse punishment than death?

26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.

29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.”
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Definitely other commentaries agree this is talking of apostasy. Here the deliberate wilful sin of turning and rejecting Christ. If you reject Christ, there is no other sacrifice for sins. Christ is the end of the LAW, Romans 10:4. The OT sacrifices are not going to work. Only in Christ are sins forgiven now.

Why would anyone disagree? It is so clearly taught.

Benson Commentary
Hebrews 10:26-27. For, &c. — As if he had said, It concerns us to use all means to ensure our perseverance, because apostacy is so dangerous; if we — Any of us Christians; sin wilfully — By total apostacy from God; (see on Hebrews 6:4;) after we have received the knowledge of the truth — As it is in Jesus, namely, an experimental and practical knowledge thereof, so as to have been made free thereby from the guilt and power of sin; there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins — None but that which we obstinately reject. “As the apostle, in the former part of the epistle, had proved that the sacrifices of the law were all abolished, and that the only sacrifice for sin remaining was the sacrifice of Christ, it followed that apostates, who wilfully renounced the benefit of that sacrifice, had no sacrifice for sin whatever remaining to them.” But a certain fearful looking for — Φοβερα δε τις εκδοχη, a kind of fearful expectation: intimating something inexpressible, such as no heart could conceive or tongue describe. Thus St. Peter, 1 Epist. 1 Peter 4:17-18, What shall be the end of them who obey not the gospel? Where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Of judgment and fiery indignation. The apostle refers both to the final judgment of the great day, when apostates from the religion of Jesus, as well as those who obstinately rejected it, shall bepunished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, &c., 2 Thessalonians 1:9; and also to the dreadful and fiery indignation which God was about to bring on the unbelieving and obstinate Jews, in the total destruction of their city and temple by sword and fire, devouring them, as adversaries to God and his Christ, of all others the most inexcusable. The reader should observe that the apostle lays it down here as certain, that God will not pardon sinners without some sacrifice or satisfaction. For otherwise it would not follow, from there remaining to apostates no more sacrifice for sin, that there must remain to them a dreadful expectation of judgment and fiery indignation. In these last words, the conflagration of the heaven and the earth at the day of judgment seems especially to be referred to.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary10:26-31 The exhortations against apostacy and to perseverance, are urged by many strong reasons. The sin here mentioned is a total and final falling away, when men, with a full and fixed will and resolution, despise and reject Christ, the only Saviour; despise and resist the Spirit, the only Sanctifier; and despise and renounce the gospel, the only way of salvation, and the words of eternal life. Of this destruction God gives some notorious sinners, while on earth, a fearful foreboding in their consciences, with despair of being able to endure or to escape it. But what punishment can be sorer than to die without mercy? We answer, to die by mercy, by the mercy and grace which they have despised. How dreadful is the case, when not only the justice of God, but his abused grace and mercy call for vengeance! All this does not in the least mean that any souls who sorrow for sin will be shut out from mercy, or that any will be refused the benefit of Christ's sacrifice, who are willing to accept these blessings. Him that cometh unto Christ, he will in no wise cast out.

Hebrews 10:26-31. In the ἐγκαταλείπειν τὴν ἐπισυναγωγὴν ἑαυτῶν, Hebrews 10:25, there was manifested a lukewarmness in Christianity, which might lead to apostasy therefrom. In warning notes, therefore, the author points out that the man who knowingly slights recognised Christian truth, and sins against it, will infallibly be overtaken by the punitive judgment of God. To be compared Hebrews 6:4-8.
Expositor's Greek Testament
Hebrews 10:26-39. Dreadful result of falling from faith.
Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
26–31. A solemn Warning of the Peril of Wilful Apostasy

26. For if we sin wilfully) The word “wilfully” stands in contrast with sins of weakness, ignorance and error inHebrews 5:2. If the writer meant to say that, after the commission of wilful and heinous sins, “there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,” this would not only be the most terrible passage in Scripture, but would do away with the very object of Redemption, and the possibility of any Forgiveness of Sins. It would, as Kurz says, “be in its consequences truly subversive and destructive of the whole Christian soteriology.” But the meaning rather is “If we are willing sinners,” “if we are in a state of deliberate and voluntary defiance to the will of God.” He is alluding not only to those sins which the Jews described as being committed presumptuously “with uplifted hand” (Numbers 15:30; Psalm 19:13; see. Hebrews 6:4-8, Hebrews 12:16-17), but to the deliberate continuity of such sins as a self-chosen law of life; as for instance when a man has closed against himself the door of repentance and said “Evil be thou my good.” Such a state is glanced at in2 Peter 2:20-21; Matthew 12:43-45.

after that we have received the knowledge of the truth] Rather, “the full knowledge of the truth.” Something more is meant than mere historical knowledge. He is contemplating Christians who have made some real advance, and then have relapsed into “desperation or the wretchlessness of unclean living.”

there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins] Lit., “no sacrifice for sins is any longer left for them.” They have rejected the work of Christ, and it cannot be done for them over again. There is one atoning sacrifice and that they have repudiated. He does not say that they have exhausted the infinite mercy of God, nor can we justly assert that he held such a conclusion; he only says that they have, so long as they continue in such a state, put themselves out of God’s covenant, and that there are no other covenanted means of grace. For they have trampled under foot the offer of mercy in Christ and there is no salvation in any other (Acts 4:12).
Bengel's Gnomen
Hebrews 10:26. Ἑκουσίως, wilfully) For after the truth has been acknowledged, the excuse of ignorance is taken away.—ἁμαρτανόντων, if we sin) To sin here means entire revolt or apostasy from GOD,Hebrews 10:29, ch. Hebrews 3:12, 2 Kings 21:16; and the violation, not of the law, Hebrews 10:28, but of the whole economy of the New Testament, Hebrews 10:29. Comp. ἀθετήσας, rejected, despised,Hebrews 10:28, note.—μετὰ τὸ λαβεῖν, after we have received) This does not so much refer to individuals as to the state of believers of the New Testament: whence, however, the conclusion holds good to individuals, Hebrews 10:29.—τῆς ἀληθείας, of the truth) The truth, here, and grace, Hebrews 10:29, are expressions applied to the New Testament. The Spirit of grace, ibid., is called the Spirit of truth in John 14:17.—οὐκέτι, no more) The fruit of the sacrifice of Christ is always evident to them who do not reject it, but those who reject it have nothing else.—περὶ ἁμαρτιῶν, for sins) refers to ἁμαρτανόντων, if we sin.Pulpit CommentaryVerses 26-32. - Solemn warning as to the fearful consequences of apostasy. Verses 26, 27. - For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for (ἐκδοχὴ, used here only; but ἐκδέχομαι is frequent in the New Testament in sense of "expect;" e.g. supra, ver. 13. Hence there seems no good ground for disputing, with Afford, the usual rendering, "expectation") of judgment, and fiery indignation (πυρός ζῆλος), which shall devour the adversaries. The warning passage thus begun closely resembles the former interposed one,Hebrews 6:4-9. Both have been similarly misapplied (see notes on Hebrews 6:4-9); but both have the same real meaning, which is further confirmed by comparing them together. The purport of both is the hopelessness of a state of apostasy from the faith after full knowledge and full enjoyment of privilege; both are led up to by cautions against remissness, of which the final issue might be such apostasy; both are followed by the expression of a confident hope, founded on past faithfulness, that no such apostasy will really follow. The state contemplated is here expressed by ἐκουσίως ἁμαρτανόντων, a phrase which in itself might at first sight seem to support one of the erroneous views of the drift of the passage, viz. that all willful sin after baptism or grace received is unpardonable. But it is first to be observed that the participleἁμαρτανόντων is not aorist, but present, expressing a persistent habit; also that the whole context is sufficient to denote the kind of sin intended. For

(1) the preceding verses have pointed to laxity of allegiance to Christ, which might have further consequences;

(2) the illustration of what is meant, adduced in ver. 28 from the Mosaic Law, is (as will appear under that verse) a case of entire apostasy - a sin not to be atoned for by any sacrifice, but visited by "cutting off;"

(3) the description in ver. 29 of the sin intended implies total repudiation of Christ. Observe, on ἀκουσίωςσίως, the contrast to ἁμαρτάνειν (Leviticus 4:2, 27; Leviticus 5:15, al.), expressive of sins of ignorance or infirmity. Not such sins, but deliberate sin with a high hand, is here intended; and further, for the reasons above given, one of this nature so heinous as to be beyond the reach of sacrifice. From all such considerations it appears that ἐκουσίως ἁμαρτανόντων here expresses the same idea as παραπεσόντας(Hebrews 6:6) and ἀποστῆναι ἀπὸ Θεοῦ ζῶντος (Hebrews 3:12), viz. final obdurate defection from the faith. Further, the previous conditions for the possibility of arriving at such a hopeless state, set forth more at length in vers. 4, 5 of Hebrews 6, are here shortly expressed by μετὰ τὸ μαβεῖν τὴν ἐπίγνωσιν τῆς ἀληθείας, which is to be interpreted in the light of the other passage (see note thereon). The consequences of such falling away are differently stated in the two passages. In Hebrews 6, it was the impossibility of renewal unto repentance; here it is the absence of any further atoning sacrifice; and this in keeping with what has been now proved of the sacrifice of Christ having superseded all others and been "once for all." The drift is that, if this is deliberately rejected after full knowledge of it, no ether is left to have recourse to. Then the immediate mention of "judgment" is in keeping also with the conclusion of Hebrews 9. (see note on Hebrews 9:27), and is immediately suggested here by τὴν ἡμέραν of ver. 25. The fire in which that day is to be revealed is a prominent figure both in the Old Testament and the New; regarded as both anassaying and a consuming fire (cf. especially 1 Corinthians 3:13-16). The expression, πυρὸς ζῆλος ("zeal, or indignation, of fire"), not only expresses the vehemence of the flame, but also implies the idea of the fire itself being instinct with the Divine wrath or jealousy (as ζῆλος, equivalent to קִגְאָה, is usually translated when attributed to God), of which it is the symbol (cf. Psalm 79:5, Ἐκκαυθήσεται ὡς πῦρ ὁ ζῆλος μου:Ezekiel 38:19, Ὁ ζῆλος μου ἐν πυρὶ τῆς ὀργῆς μου: Zephaniah 1:18, Ἐν πυρὶ ζῆλου αὐτοῦ: and infra, Hebrews 12:29, "Our God is a consuming fire"). (For ἐσθίειν μέλλοντος τοὺς ὑπεναντίους, cf. Isaiah 26:11,Ζῆλος λήψεται λαὸν ἀπαίδευτον καὶ νῦν πῦρ τοὺς ὑπεναντίους ἔδεται).

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Definitely other commentaries agree this is talking of apostasy. Here the deliberate wilful sin of turning and rejecting Christ. If you reject Christ, there is no other sacrifice for sins. Christ is the end of the LAW, Romans 10:4. The OT sacrifices are not going to work. Only in Christ are sins forgiven now.

Why would anyone disagree? It is so clearly taught.

Benson Commentary
Hebrews 10:26-27. For, &c. — As if he had said, It concerns us to use all means to ensure our perseverance, because apostacy is so dangerous; if we — Any of us Christians; sin wilfully — By total apostacy from God; (see on Hebrews 6:4;) after we have received the knowledge of the truth — As it is in Jesus, namely, an experimental and practical knowledge thereof, so as to have been made free thereby from the guilt and power of sin; there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins — None but that which we obstinately reject. “As the apostle, in the former part of the epistle, had proved that the sacrifices of the law were all abolished, and that the only sacrifice for sin remaining was the sacrifice of Christ, it followed that apostates, who wilfully renounced the benefit of that sacrifice, had no sacrifice for sin whatever remaining to them.” But a certain fearful looking for — Φοβερα δε τις εκδοχη, a kind of fearful expectation: intimating something inexpressible, such as no heart could conceive or tongue describe. Thus St. Peter, 1 Epist. 1 Peter 4:17-18, What shall be the end of them who obey not the gospel? Where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Of judgment and fiery indignation. The apostle refers both to the final judgment of the great day, when apostates from the religion of Jesus, as well as those who obstinately rejected it, shall bepunished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, &c., 2 Thessalonians 1:9; and also to the dreadful and fiery indignation which God was about to bring on the unbelieving and obstinate Jews, in the total destruction of their city and temple by sword and fire, devouring them, as adversaries to God and his Christ, of all others the most inexcusable. The reader should observe that the apostle lays it down here as certain, that God will not pardon sinners without some sacrifice or satisfaction. For otherwise it would not follow, from there remaining to apostates no more sacrifice for sin, that there must remain to them a dreadful expectation of judgment and fiery indignation. In these last words, the conflagration of the heaven and the earth at the day of judgment seems especially to be referred to.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary10:26-31 The exhortations against apostacy and to perseverance, are urged by many strong reasons. The sin here mentioned is a total and final falling away, when men, with a full and fixed will and resolution, despise and reject Christ, the only Saviour; despise and resist the Spirit, the only Sanctifier; and despise and renounce the gospel, the only way of salvation, and the words of eternal life. Of this destruction God gives some notorious sinners, while on earth, a fearful foreboding in their consciences, with despair of being able to endure or to escape it. But what punishment can be sorer than to die without mercy? We answer, to die by mercy, by the mercy and grace which they have despised. How dreadful is the case, when not only the justice of God, but his abused grace and mercy call for vengeance! All this does not in the least mean that any souls who sorrow for sin will be shut out from mercy, or that any will be refused the benefit of Christ's sacrifice, who are willing to accept these blessings. Him that cometh unto Christ, he will in no wise cast out.

Hebrews 10:26-31. In the ἐγκαταλείπειν τὴν ἐπισυναγωγὴν ἑαυτῶν, Hebrews 10:25, there was manifested a lukewarmness in Christianity, which might lead to apostasy therefrom. In warning notes, therefore, the author points out that the man who knowingly slights recognised Christian truth, and sins against it, will infallibly be overtaken by the punitive judgment of God. To be compared Hebrews 6:4-8.
Expositor's Greek Testament
Hebrews 10:26-39. Dreadful result of falling from faith.
Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
26–31. A solemn Warning of the Peril of Wilful Apostasy

26. For if we sin wilfully) The word “wilfully” stands in contrast with sins of weakness, ignorance and error inHebrews 5:2. If the writer meant to say that, after the commission of wilful and heinous sins, “there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,” this would not only be the most terrible passage in Scripture, but would do away with the very object of Redemption, and the possibility of any Forgiveness of Sins. It would, as Kurz says, “be in its consequences truly subversive and destructive of the whole Christian soteriology.” But the meaning rather is “If we are willing sinners,” “if we are in a state of deliberate and voluntary defiance to the will of God.” He is alluding not only to those sins which the Jews described as being committed presumptuously “with uplifted hand” (Numbers 15:30; Psalm 19:13; see. Hebrews 6:4-8, Hebrews 12:16-17), but to the deliberate continuity of such sins as a self-chosen law of life; as for instance when a man has closed against himself the door of repentance and said “Evil be thou my good.” Such a state is glanced at in2 Peter 2:20-21; Matthew 12:43-45.

after that we have received the knowledge of the truth] Rather, “the full knowledge of the truth.” Something more is meant than mere historical knowledge. He is contemplating Christians who have made some real advance, and then have relapsed into “desperation or the wretchlessness of unclean living.”

there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins] Lit., “no sacrifice for sins is any longer left for them.” They have rejected the work of Christ, and it cannot be done for them over again. There is one atoning sacrifice and that they have repudiated. He does not say that they have exhausted the infinite mercy of God, nor can we justly assert that he held such a conclusion; he only says that they have, so long as they continue in such a state, put themselves out of God’s covenant, and that there are no other covenanted means of grace. For they have trampled under foot the offer of mercy in Christ and there is no salvation in any other (Acts 4:12).
Bengel's Gnomen
Hebrews 10:26. Ἑκουσίως, wilfully) For after the truth has been acknowledged, the excuse of ignorance is taken away.—ἁμαρτανόντων, if we sin) To sin here means entire revolt or apostasy from GOD,Hebrews 10:29, ch. Hebrews 3:12, 2 Kings 21:16; and the violation, not of the law, Hebrews 10:28, but of the whole economy of the New Testament, Hebrews 10:29. Comp. ἀθετήσας, rejected, despised,Hebrews 10:28, note.—μετὰ τὸ λαβεῖν, after we have received) This does not so much refer to individuals as to the state of believers of the New Testament: whence, however, the conclusion holds good to individuals, Hebrews 10:29.—τῆς ἀληθείας, of the truth) The truth, here, and grace, Hebrews 10:29, are expressions applied to the New Testament. The Spirit of grace, ibid., is called the Spirit of truth in John 14:17.—οὐκέτι, no more) The fruit of the sacrifice of Christ is always evident to them who do not reject it, but those who reject it have nothing else.—περὶ ἁμαρτιῶν, for sins) refers to ἁμαρτανόντων, if we sin.Pulpit CommentaryVerses 26-32. - Solemn warning as to the fearful consequences of apostasy. Verses 26, 27. - For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for (ἐκδοχὴ, used here only; but ἐκδέχομαι is frequent in the New Testament in sense of "expect;" e.g. supra, ver. 13. Hence there seems no good ground for disputing, with Afford, the usual rendering, "expectation") of judgment, and fiery indignation (πυρός ζῆλος), which shall devour the adversaries. The warning passage thus begun closely resembles the former interposed one,Hebrews 6:4-9. Both have been similarly misapplied (see notes on Hebrews 6:4-9); but both have the same real meaning, which is further confirmed by comparing them together. The purport of both is the hopelessness of a state of apostasy from the faith after full knowledge and full enjoyment of privilege; both are led up to by cautions against remissness, of which the final issue might be such apostasy; both are followed by the expression of a confident hope, founded on past faithfulness, that no such apostasy will really follow. The state contemplated is here expressed by ἐκουσίως ἁμαρτανόντων, a phrase which in itself might at first sight seem to support one of the erroneous views of the drift of the passage, viz. that all willful sin after baptism or grace received is unpardonable. But it is first to be observed that the participleἁμαρτανόντων is not aorist, but present, expressing a persistent habit; also that the whole context is sufficient to denote the kind of sin intended. For

(1) the preceding verses have pointed to laxity of allegiance to Christ, which might have further consequences;

(2) the illustration of what is meant, adduced in ver. 28 from the Mosaic Law, is (as will appear under that verse) a case of entire apostasy - a sin not to be atoned for by any sacrifice, but visited by "cutting off;"

(3) the description in ver. 29 of the sin intended implies total repudiation of Christ. Observe, on ἀκουσίωςσίως, the contrast to ἁμαρτάνειν (Leviticus 4:2, 27; Leviticus 5:15, al.), expressive of sins of ignorance or infirmity. Not such sins, but deliberate sin with a high hand, is here intended; and further, for the reasons above given, one of this nature so heinous as to be beyond the reach of sacrifice. From all such considerations it appears that ἐκουσίως ἁμαρτανόντων here expresses the same idea as παραπεσόντας(Hebrews 6:6) and ἀποστῆναι ἀπὸ Θεοῦ ζῶντος (Hebrews 3:12), viz. final obdurate defection from the faith. Further, the previous conditions for the possibility of arriving at such a hopeless state, set forth more at length in vers. 4, 5 of Hebrews 6, are here shortly expressed by μετὰ τὸ μαβεῖν τὴν ἐπίγνωσιν τῆς ἀληθείας, which is to be interpreted in the light of the other passage (see note thereon). The consequences of such falling away are differently stated in the two passages. In Hebrews 6, it was the impossibility of renewal unto repentance; here it is the absence of any further atoning sacrifice; and this in keeping with what has been now proved of the sacrifice of Christ having superseded all others and been "once for all." The drift is that, if this is deliberately rejected after full knowledge of it, no ether is left to have recourse to. Then the immediate mention of "judgment" is in keeping also with the conclusion of Hebrews 9. (see note on Hebrews 9:27), and is immediately suggested here by τὴν ἡμέραν of ver. 25. The fire in which that day is to be revealed is a prominent figure both in the Old Testament and the New; regarded as both anassaying and a consuming fire (cf. especially 1 Corinthians 3:13-16). The expression, πυρὸς ζῆλος ("zeal, or indignation, of fire"), not only expresses the vehemence of the flame, but also implies the idea of the fire itself being instinct with the Divine wrath or jealousy (as ζῆλος, equivalent to קִגְאָה, is usually translated when attributed to God), of which it is the symbol (cf. Psalm 79:5, Ἐκκαυθήσεται ὡς πῦρ ὁ ζῆλος μου:Ezekiel 38:19, Ὁ ζῆλος μου ἐν πυρὶ τῆς ὀργῆς μου: Zephaniah 1:18, Ἐν πυρὶ ζῆλου αὐτοῦ: and infra, Hebrews 12:29, "Our God is a consuming fire"). (For ἐσθίειν μέλλοντος τοὺς ὑπεναντίους, cf. Isaiah 26:11,Ζῆλος λήψεται λαὸν ἀπαίδευτον καὶ νῦν πῦρ τοὺς ὑπεναντίους ἔδεται).

These commentaries only prove the brethren can lose their salvation. Verse 29 says they were sanctified. Which comes first, salvation or sanctification?

Keep going, you are doing a great job of explaining the extinction of one's salvation. I must say, you are doing a better job than me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

You're contradicting yourself. An apostate is a born of God believer who turns away and rejects the faith he once embraced. If "all born of God believers overcome the world by their faith in Christ" then there aren't any apostates which would make Heb 10:26 a meaningless warning that applies to no one and an example of nullifying the word of God for the sake of your tradition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
You're contradicting yourself. An apostate is a born of God believer who turns away and rejects the faith he once embraced. If "all born of God believers overcome the world by their faith in Christ" then there aren't any apostates which would make Heb 10:26 a meaningless warning that applies to no one and an example of nullifying the word of God for the sake of your tradition.
It is a meaningless warning for you if v39 describes who you are.
Obviously there are those who draw back from Christ in unbelief, whom having said they once believed. To them this warning applies as they are apostate. Do you deny that there are no apostates?

Heb 10
37 “For yet a little while,
And He who is coming will come and will not tarry.
38 Now the just shall live by faith;
But if anyone draws back,
My soul has no pleasure in him.”

39 But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.

Key to understanding this Hebrews 10 is found here

Christ’s Death Perfects the Sanctified
11 And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God, 13 from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool. 14 For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

15 But the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us; for after He had said before,

16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,” 17 then He adds, “Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”
18 Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.

v14 tells us our salvation is eternal since those who are 'born of God' are 'perfected forever' those who are being sanctified, that is believers are sanctified by God due to the sacrificing death of Christ. There is ONLY ONE SACRIFICE FOR SINS FOREVER.
So if you sin willfully by becoming apostate, the example given for becoming apostate is to,

"trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?"

These are the people who draw back in unbelief from Christ, regardless of what they had said or claimed to have believed before, they are become 'antichrists'. and are going to perdition, which is torment in hell fire. Since they do not overcome the world by faith in Christ, they are not then 'born of God' and are not saved.
If you turn away from and reject Christ there is no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus telling the story of the sower of the seeds demonstrates apostates versus those born of God.
Luke 8
The Parable of the Sower Explained
11 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

v12, those that are perishing who have their minds blinded by Satan, and 'lest they believe', tells us they will not believe ever unless God shows them mercy to shine His light out from within them by revealing Christ in them, (Read 2 Corinthians 4).
12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

v13 , describes apostates who when tempted fall away, seeing they have no ROOT, meaning their spirits are not been regenerated, born of God.
It is quite possible to be emotionally involved in belief and have no ROOT in themselves, they are not planted by God.
13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.

v14, these bring no fruit to maturity, they do not bear fruit, their fruit is rotten, unfit for eating, useless trees using up the ground, so then they are bad trees bearing bad fruit and will go to hell fire.
14 Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.

The elect and saved born of God regenerated believer bears fruit to God. If you do not bear good fruit to God, then to hell fire you will go.
15 But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.

Upvote 0

BryanMaloney

ordinary sinner
Apr 20, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟15,889.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am surprised that nobody has bothered to consult the Hebrew on this. The Psalms are very well crafted, and words are chosen deliberately. In this case, we have the following:

Sin: From the Hebrew "khata", which means "going astray". This includes both intentional AND unintentional failings. Many modern "Christians" are legalists, and they refuse to understand that "sin" is NOT a type of crime. Sin in general is NOT a legalistic concept. It is ANY falling short or going astray of divine perfection. The New Testament echoes this with the command from Christ to "be perfect" even as our Father in heaven is perfect. Anything short of this is "going astray", a type of sin. Sin is NOT JUST DISOBEDIENCE. Sin is NOT JUST MORAL CRIMES. Sin is any falling short of divine perfection. That is why we have forgiveness from God and why God forgives us as we forgive. If we are so hard-hearted as to not forgive even the accidental wrongs done to us by others, God will hold us up to that behavior.

Iniquity: From the Hebrew "avone", meaning depravity or a sin done out of moral failing.

Transgression: From the Hebrew "peshah", meaning rebellion or a sin that was a direct and intentional rebellion against God.

Thus, another reading could be

"I acknowledged my falling away from perfection unto Thee, and mine moral failing have I not hid. I said, "I will confess my rebellions unto the Lord," and Thou forgavest the moral failing of my falling away from perfection. Selah"

Reactions: ShaulHaTarsi
Upvote 0

Adam113

Jan 8, 2016
USA
✟15,339.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So If I got saved after 12 years of drug abuse...had no discipleship and fell back into my old sins for 6 months not really having a firm understanding of the salvation process... hellfire is all i have to look forward to even though I now see the light and want to follow Jesus with all my heart? God has no mercy that my brain needed to heal? Am i a reprobate?

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So if you sin willfully by becoming apostate, the example given for becoming apostate is to,

"trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?"

I see you didn't answer my question, which comes first salvation or sanctification?

We see above this 'apostate' WAS sanctified by the blood of the covenant.

Upvote 0