Aug 30, 2013
✟9,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been obsessing over this a bit lately. Am I sinning every time I drive past a homeless person without giving him money? :( this has been bothering me. I worry God sees me as not being truly repentant for when I don't act in moments like this. I pray for them when I drive by them but I don't always give them something. Is that sinful?

Reactions: Lukamu

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You don't have to give money to everyone. If you did, you would be broke and need help. If you pray for people, you're doing more than most people do. Don't trust in your works. Have faith in Christ's work and be a cheerful giver when you do give.

Reactions: J0SHUA
Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus did not respond to everyone in his path. We do need to think about the poor but that can entail considering much wider perspectives than just giving to an individual. Social justice is a major theme of the prophets speaking to God's people.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
My step-daughter's plan:
She would purchase bottled water and snack packs
from Walmart and carry that in her mini van to give
to those holding a sign asking for help.

I've handed out food gift cards and or went and purchased
food and bottles of water for homeless people...we also
support local shelters who feed the homeless... referred
folks to said shelters.

A friend of mine use to offer work to homeless men,
he had a small mill and if they would work, he'd pay them.
If they wouldn't work, he'd drive on by.

Upvote 0
I've been obsessing over this a bit lately. Am I sinning every time I drive past a homeless person without giving him money? :( this has been bothering me. I worry God sees me as not being truly repentant for when I don't act in moments like this. I pray for them when I drive by them but I don't always give them something. Is that sinful?

well the entire world is filled with homelessness

u see 1 part of a big picture

think of it that way, but also your responsibility because the bible does say to take care when you can

give as you are happy with it, if you're not then its no use -"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."2co 9.7

Upvote 0

Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are a few homeless people in my town too, and I have felt this same way when I drive by them. Once, I gave a man $100 because he told me about his prescription that he needed to fill. After I did that, I thought about it for a week or so and realized that I probably shouldn't have just given him the money. What does Jesus really want us to do, to hand over our money to them, or to treat them with love like a human being? Sometimes that means giving money to them, and sometimes it means bringing them some food, and sometimes it means just sitting and talking with them. It's impossible for us to please everyone all the time, so sometimes just praying for them is enough. I don't think you're sinning by driving by without giving them any money, but pray and ask God "what should I do next time?"

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
it's important to be led by God in this, as only He can see the heart of someone who is begging. if you do feel led to give to someone who's begging, do it in a way that gives you a chance to talk to them some first - the money you give them will be gone all too soon, but if you can sow knowledge of God's love into them, it will last them forever

Upvote 0

CowWarrior

Aug 18, 2015
✟15,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I used to give money, but now I don't.

This is a true story.
Some teenager holding a sign that says something~~ I didn't really read it cuz I am lazy.
I was going to give her some money, but then she pulled out an iPhone from her pocket, and it doesn't look like she is just checking the time either. Than in the back of my mind, I am like.... a begger with an iPhone... then I just changed my mind.

Since then, I have a different perception what "Homeless" means.
There are organized "homeless" groups that would hang around and beg for money all day, but really they aren't broke at all!!

This is different depending on where you live.

I only give to homeless now if they actually DID something like holding the door at the subway station, preach a gospel, clean my car window, etc.

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What will happen, if you walk on the streets, and you see 1000 beggars on the street. Unless you have a lot of money, you can not provide and give to each one of them, can you? I believe that God requires from us, to give to others, according to our abilities, because we also have needs, especially if we are married. God wants us to help other financially according to how much we can afford, and to our ability, and not according to how many beggars we meet on the street.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums